MG4 XPower Insurance (Ouch) & Affinity Discount (Thanks!!)

Freeagain21

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Traded in my MX5 and collected our new MG4 XPower on Friday.

We've gone for the subtle look with Arctic White. It is RIDICULOUSLY FAST. Quite a change from a petrol motor, and not so keen on the fact that the 300+ page manual is all online/on the App. I don't normally read handbooks, but feel like I really should if I'm ever to understand what the hell is going on! But it looks like the handbook is for the MG4 EV generally, and not the XPower?

car.jpg

Trying to get insurance was a bit of a nightmare - lots of insurers refusing to provide cover (despite it being garaged overnight and having 2 careful drivers with 12+ years of no claims bonus). Geoffrey Insurance (existing insurer) refused. Hastings Insurance wanted us to have a black box fitted (?!!!!!!) and Tesco wouldn't insure. Also, surprisingly, Lancaster Insurance, who are the recommended provider by the MG Owners Club (20% discount) wouldn't insure it. Finally went on MoneySupermarket and settled for SAGA Insurance, which is ironic in itself, but still £1050 pa.

HUGE THANKS go to whoever it was on here that mentioned the discount you can get with MG Affinity - we owe you a beer!!!. We spent £51.50 for annual membership to join the MG Owners Club, and got £3095 off the price of the car! That made the car insurance a little easier to swallow.

Finally went on MoneySupermarket and settled for SAGA Insurance, which is ironic in itself, but still £1050 pa.
If it’s any consolation we were with SAGA who wanted £700 for the base model, we live in middle of no where, no claims in 30+ years.

Enjoy the car

It must be something (perhaps your age or exact postcode area you live) as all my best quotes on comparison sites are in the region of £500-£600 including legal cover, windcreen and courtesy car. Mine renews in just under 4 weeks so have been busy looking !

I'll keep my eye out for you around Leeds 👍

I have just done another quote with Meerkats for a fictional date of 10th November. Thats coming in at £454 with Aviva protected NCB, legal cover, courtesy car, personal accident cover and all glass cover. Thats for 6000 miles pa and for SDP cover only. Im 65 retired, over 10 years NCB, car garaged, compulsory excess £250 and voluntary £150. So as has been said many times before it very much depends on an individuals circumstances.

It must be something (perhaps your age or exact postcode area you live) as all my best quotes on comparison sites are in the region of £500-£600 including legal cover, windcreen and courtesy car. Mine renews in just under 4 weeks so have been busy looking !

Age: me mid 50s, husband early 60s, garaged in BD19 (Bradford postcode, only 100m from a WF postcode too, which is a bummer!). Kept in a company car park during the day.

Might be cheaper to move house at renewal! Lol.

Did you list your occupation as professional crash test dummy or something? 😊
That seems abnormally high, and Hastings had no issues with me (or bricktop I think)
Funny you should say that, I told my other half that this car will see the death of me.

I'm around Elland Road a fair bit. #lufc

If it’s any consolation we were with SAGA who wanted £700 for the base model, we live in middle of no where, no claims in 30+ years.

Enjoy the car
I should say that I also have another policy with SAGA (under written by LV) on a VW-TROC TDi which is a similar insurance group to the MG4 (and value & age+2 years, cover etc). So in the last month:-

MG4 Last Year £350, this year £700 - 100% increase
T-Roc Last year £160, this year £190 - 20% increase

In the end I went with LV directly (or via quido), for £450 -£50 cashback(hopefully) - but was hard work, as the excess is £700, but the insurance increase is proportionally higher on EV's than ICE's

We've gone for the subtle look with Arctic White. It is RIDICULOUSLY FAST. Quite a change from a petrol motor, and not so keen on the fact that the 300+ page manual is all online/on the App. I don't normally read handbooks, but feel like I really should if I'm ever to understand what the hell is going on! But it looks like the handbook is for the MG4 EV generally, and not the XPower?

View attachment 20928

Trying to get insurance was a bit of a nightmare - lots of insurers refusing to provide cover (despite it being garaged overnight and having 2 careful drivers with 12+ years of no claims bonus). Geoffrey Insurance (existing insurer) refused. Hastings Insurance wanted us to have a black box fitted (?!!!!!!) and Tesco wouldn't insure. Also, surprisingly, Lancaster Insurance, who are the recommended provider by the MG Owners Club (20% discount) wouldn't insure it. Finally went on MoneySupermarket and settled for SAGA Insurance, which is ironic in itself, but still £1050 pa.

HUGE THANKS go to whoever it was on here that mentioned the discount you can get with MG Affinity - we owe you a beer!!!. We spent £51.50 for annual membership to join the MG Owners Club, and got £3095 off the price of the car! That made the car insurance a little easier to swallow.
That is crazy...heard the prices can be very high.
Though I will be getting my XPower via Tuckers (insurance included) I did try a quote for one to see how it comes to my BMW E60 (pay £40 a month) and Hastings quoted me £80 a month and I have 15 years no claims.

When we bought our MG4 Trophy last year it was almost impossible to get insurance as new electric model. Eventually went with the offered MG insurer (sub of LV) premium was £447.

MG have now withdrawn from acting as a broker and "automatically" transferred me to Original (another sub of LV). For exactly the same policy as present, the quote for next year was £832!

Went to Meerkat, LV quoted for the same policy as above.......£471!

View attachment 20928

Well done for choosing white. I went for green but the 'free' colour options also look great I think. I would even consider changing my chosen colour given the maintenance required for matte paint but my dealer forgot to add the £800 extra to the invoice so I figured green is fine.

I have just done another quote with Meerkats for a fictional date of 10th November. Thats coming in at £454 with Aviva protected NCB, legal cover, courtesy car, personal accident cover and all glass cover. Thats for 6000 miles pa and for SDP cover only. Im 65 retired, over 10 years NCB, car garaged, compulsory excess £250 and voluntary £150. So as has been said many times before it very much depends on an individuals circumstances.
Late to this thread for some reason?

I'd take that M8. Doesn't seem too bad.

I've written in a post somewhere that my insurance doubled to £540 this year due in part, to a lack of insurers knowledge of Xpower.

Churchill never had in on the system, hence ringing round insurers on the dealers forecourt, sat in my new car at the mercy of anyone who would cover me.

Hastings Direct in the end (hour and a half later!!!)
I fully expect a more reasonable quote next year ..............

Well done for choosing white. I went for green but the 'free' colour options also look great I think. I would even consider changing my chosen colour given the maintenance required for matte paint but my dealer forgot to add the £800 extra to the invoice so I figured green is fine.

Well at least you won't see another one!

I rarely see an MG4, let alone an XPower in Matte Green! (And I quite like that)

Honestly, I've done 2000 miles and the cars only ever been washed by hand 5 times. (Once by the dealer)

There is not a chip, mark, scratch or birdlime stain anywhere, which (as I've said somewhere else) shows just how good the factory paint is.

Water beads beautifully, and I am still yet to use my Autoglym Aquawax, but will next wash (probably?🤣)

I thought all the colours were free with the Affinity discount any way? That's what it shows when I log in any way.

I thought all the colours were free with the Affinity discount any way? That's what it shows when I log in any way.
They are now, but before this latest affinity offer which started on Oct 1st, Green was 800 quid.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom