MG4 XPower pet peeves…

Interesting thought ... I once had a car stolen off my private drive after leaving the engine running to defrost. Foolishly I left it unlocked (I live on a very quiet cul de sac) but luckily the insurance company paid out.

Now suppose I left the Xpower "running" while I was unpacking all the luggage and in the house momentarily... would someone be able to nip in quickly and drive off ?
Not without the key. It is needed to "start" the car.

I don't think so, as they'd need to press the brake pedal to get to the READY state, and the car should report that the key was missing.

Edit: snap! :)

Took my car in for its first service last month, the dealership did a couple of software updates.
The only improvement that I’ve noticed is the auto headlights seems to be much less eager to turn itself on now👍

No major pet peeves so far (but only been 60 miles!) The front/rear lights coming on when I remote start the HVAC & seats seems unnecessary if I just want to warm the car up for 5-10 mins while getting ready to leave the house, but some might like it. 10 mile commute this morning and no real opportunities to shoot off from the lights which was disappointing, so I got to work in Normal mode with 4.0 m/kWh which was better than the 2.8-3.0 in my previous E-Tron for the same journey.

No major pet peeves so far (but only been 60 miles!) The front/rear lights coming on when I remote start the HVAC & seats seems unnecessary if I just want to warm the car up for 5-10 mins while getting ready to leave the house, but some might like it. 10 mile commute this morning and no real opportunities to shoot off from the lights which was disappointing, so I got to work in Normal mode with 4.0 m/kWh which was better than the 2.8-3.0 in my previous E-Tron for the same journey.
Yeah, it seems a bit of a waste of energy, but at least you can see it is working and when it has finished, so if you want a second preheat (in deep cold Winter) you can wait for the lights to go out on the first and start the second. IIRC we are allowed two preheats and thats it !

Why do people want to switch off the car before getting out and locking it?

I think this is only because we have been habituated to start/stop buttons and ignition keys, but actually I love the fact that I can just pull up, hit P (which automatically applies the handbrake), jump out and lock with the remote.
I agree with the principle. However, in reality, every morning in the school car park, I pull up, press P and then need to sit and wait in the car for 15 minutes for my son. So I have to either manually shut down (buried away in the menus) or switch off the music, the lights and the heating individually. I just don't understand why they can't have an off button!

Why do you want to switch off the heating if you're sitting in the car? Or indeed the music, if you're not blasting it out with the windows open? But if you do, both of these can be killed with a single button press each.

I agree with you about the lights, I would like some way to sit in the car with it ON, but without the lights showing, but I can cope with just ignoring them.

I'm not saying your wish is unreasonable, it's not, but I don't think it's as big an issue as you're making it.

You can't kill the lights completely, but you can minimise them down to only DRLs showing. Simply flick the lights toggle to the right to turn off auto lights. :)

I know you can kill the lights if you power right off, but what if you want to sit in the car with the heater on listening to the radio? The lights can't be switched right off and even the DRLs seem very bright.

"Now suppose I left the Xpower "running" while I was unpacking all the luggage and in the house momentarily... would someone be able to nip in quickly and drive off ?"

Not unless you left the keys in the car. It's easy to test - leave the keys in the house and go back and try to move the car!

Why do people want to switch off the car before getting out and locking it?

I think this is only because we have been habituated to start/stop buttons and ignition keys, but actually I love the fact that I can just pull up, hit P (which automatically applies the handbrake), jump out and lock with the remote.
Every morning I take my kids to school. I am usually 10-15 minutes early. I pull in, press P and then have to go into the menu screen to switch the car off, otherwise the music, heating, lights and windscreen wipers stay on. I know it's a first-world problem, it just strikes me that for want of an 'off' switch, it's a faff!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom