MG4 XPower pet peeves…

Every morning I take my kids to school. I am usually 10-15 minutes early. I pull in, press P and then have to go into the menu screen to switch the car off, otherwise the music, heating, lights and windscreen wipers stay on. I know it's a first-world problem, it just strikes me that for want of an 'off' switch, it's a faff!

It really is quicker and easier just to hit the right joystick button to mute the music (if you don't want to listen while you wait), hit the left-hand button on the centre console to turn the heating off, and shove the right stalk down to turn the wipers off. And forget about the damn lights, they're not doing you any harm.

If you're sitting in the car, I'm not really sure why you want the heating and the music off anyway.

In 1100R33 there’s a shortcut from the drop down menu to power down the car. I’m sure future Trophies will have same.
So going forward this is going to be a non-issue

In 1100R33 there’s a shortcut from the drop down menu to power down the car. I’m sure future Trophies will have same.
So going forward this is going to be a non-issue

Hmm. Apparently it still has the "are you really sure you want to do this?" dialogue box, so it's hardly a one-press solution and not good when you're driving. Also, if you also want the speed limit recognition off on startup you'll still have to do the old routine.

In case no-one else mentioned it:
Press car icon bottom right
press "safety" icon
press "power off"
message says make sure you're in Park
then confirm "Power Off "
Job done!
Indeed.... 4 button selections in order to just switch the thing off.

It really is quicker and easier just to hit the right joystick button to mute the music (if you don't want to listen while you wait), hit the left-hand button on the centre console to turn the heating off, and shove the right stalk down to turn the wipers off. And forget about the damn lights, they're not doing you any harm.

If you're sitting in the car, I'm not really sure why you want the heating and the music off anyway.
Indeed. You start to see what I mean though. A task that in any other car would be a press of the 'off' switch, or turning the key to the off position... now takes a convoluted series of buttons, presses, switches and toggles. I just can't help but feel these systems are often designed by people who never actually use the car day to day.

Did you go ahead and buy this? Would love to know if it's any good.
I bought one of these in the end - a bit more of a removable bag/armrest that fixes in via seatbelt. It's great for travelling with my 9 year old as she can load it up with her stuff, then just unclip and grab the handles when we get out.

Amazon product ASIN B0BPB852VP

Indeed.... 4 button selections in order to just switch the thing off.

Hopefully this and LKA can be added to the drop down menu shortcuts (a swipe down from top left of the screen) in future software updates for quick action 👍

It sounds like LKA has been added to this shortcut menu in the latest R33 software for the SE.

Hopefully this and LKA can be added to the drop down menu shortcuts (a swipe down from top left of the screen) in future software updates for quick action 👍

It sounds like LKA has been added to this shortcut menu in the latest R33 software for the SE.
The power off button has been added to the SE 1100R33 already

Ok thanks ... so they have both "LKA" and "Power Off" on the dropdown menu now ?
Yes
1701342494389.png

Lucky SE owners with R33 update then👍😊. I would be using those two a lot !

Does it do it straight away with no "warning" messages to confirm ?

I've never tried the Power Off, but the LDP option gives a Confirm type prompt. (Like it does from the car menu screen).

My pet peeves just under three weeks in:
  • Drivers door doesn't shut very well - you have to really slam it, not something I'm used to
  • Windows fog up really badly - no matter how you faff with the climate control - rear as bad as the front too
  • When it's cold out it has no more performance than a regular MG4
  • Launch control seems super, super finicky and doesn't want to work nine times out of ten
  • Automatic braking when reversing into parking spaces is way too sensitive - it brakes when people get too close and they're along side the front quarter of the car
  • Temperature sensor calibration on the climate control is +5ºC out, if not more - but the app reports it correctly 🤷‍♂️
  • Brakes squeak badly
  • Tyres are absolute bobbins - then again my last car had Michelin Pilot Sport 5 on it and the previous one had Cup 2.
    • They cause understeer on higher speed roundabouts (yes, within the speed limit)
    • Lifting off to slow down makes the back then go twitchy
    • Throttling back on to correct doesn't work very hot-hatch like (again, I do consider it more a EV Muscle Car so I suppose that tallies)
  • Forgetfulness of all the settings - not just drive modes, includes temperate and other things
  • CarPlay randomly selects a side to put the UI on - can change while you're driving
  • If you turn the function on to show blind spots at junctions it freaks out when using CarPlay and the screen just goes black
  • USB port is really funny about cables - even brand new official Apple cables can sometimes cause an issue where CarPlay doesn't work
  • I've got fogging in my passenger side taillight - warranty visit booked in with my local dealer (for January!)
  • Steering isn't bad, but it's totally 'inert' I'm just used to more feeling, adding weight in sport mode doesn't improve this, just makes it heavier
    • Previous car also had electric steering but it was lovely - you could feel the white lines in car parks at low speed
    • It's direct enough, and as long as it isn't wet the car will turn nice enough
  • Sometimes you turn the heated seats and wheel on and then within a few seconds it turns them off again - and then you're wondering why your bum isn't getting warm
  • Automatic light dipping is awful, but then the only car I've had that worked well for this was a Merc
  • 'Automatic' wipers (as referred to in the manual) aren't actually automatic - years and years ago I had a 206 GTi from 2000 that had proper automatic wipers 😆
  • How long the infotainment screen takes to boot - even if you've been in and out of the car quickly
  • I'm sure the app was designed by someone who's never used one before - things are all over the place - and I can't extract the key from the Android version using an emulator as it needs Android 8.0 or higher to run, so I can't use mitmproxy to sniff it out and build my own app
I have to say, I've had worse, mostly from VW Group cars (looking at you SEAT!) But all the same, they annoying.

Despite all that it is just more relaxing than any other car I've owned - and my heart is probably grateful for the lower blood pressure.

Last edited:
My pet peeves just under three weeks in:
  • Drivers door doesn't shut very well - you have to really slam it, not something I'm used to
  • Windows fog up really badly - no matter how you faff with the climate control - rear as bad as the front too
  • Launch control seems super, super finicky and doesn't want to work nine times out of ten
  • Automatic braking when reversing into parking spaces is way too sensitive - it brakes when people get too close and they're along side the front quarter of the car
  • Temperature sensor calibration on the climate control is +5ºC out, if not more - but the app reports it correctly 🤷‍♂️
  • Brakes squeak badly
  • Tyres are absolute bobbins - then again my last car had Michelin Pilot Sport 5 on it and the previous one had Cup 2.
    • They cause understeer on higher speed roundabouts (yes, within the speed limit)
    • Throttling back on to correct doesn't work very hot-hatch like (again, I do consider it more a EV Muscle Car so I suppose that tallies)
  • Forgetfulness of all the settings - not just drive modes, includes temperate and other things
  • CarPlay randomly selects a side to put the UI on - can change while you're driving
  • If you turn the function on to show blind spots at junctions it freaks out when using CarPlay and the screen just goes black
  • USB port is really funny about cables - even brand new official Apple cables can sometimes cause an issue where CarPlay doesn't work
  • I've got fogging in my passenger side taillight - warranty visit booked in with my local dealer (for January!)
  • Steering isn't bad, but it's totally 'inert' I'm just used to more feeling, adding weight in sport mode doesn't improve this, just makes it heavier
    • Previous car also had electric steering but it was lovely - you could feel the white lines in car parks at low speed
  • Sometimes you turn the heated seats and wheel on and then within a few seconds it turns them off again - and then you're wondering why your bum isn't getting warm
  • Automatic light dipping is awful, but then the only car I've had that worked well for this was a Merc
  • 'Automatic' wipers (as referred to in the manual) aren't actually automatic - years and years ago I had a 206 GTi from 2000 that had proper automatic wipers 😆
  • How long the infotainment screen takes to boot - even if you've been in and out of the car quickly
  • I'm sure the app was designed by someone who's never used one before - things are all over the place - and I can't extract the key from the Android version using an emulator as it needs Android 8.0 or higher to run, so I can't use mitmproxy to sniff it out and build my own app
WOW! That's a fair list! o_O

Ha well if Renault had made a performance variant of the new Megane I would’ve had one of those instead. The XPower is the only real option at this class/price.

I also forgot:
  • The steering vibration that all XPowers seem to have
  • The brightness of the screens being insane - and they don't seem to automatically adjust like every other car manages

Last edited:
Yeah that's quite a list.

• I can agree with squeaky brakes today but only when reversing??
  • A rattle/clunk somewhere in front passenger area. Sounds like the glove box when taking a hard left/right.

Rattle/clunk ... checked the glasses in the overhead holder? Or checked the contents of the glovebox?

• Brakes squeak badly
I also forgot:
  • The steering vibration that all XPowers seem to have
  • The brightness of the screens being insane - and they don't seem to automatically adjust like every other car manages
Have to say, that is a slightly worrying list.
Yes/No? 😮

Sometimes you turn the heated seats and wheel on and then within a few seconds it turns them off again - and then you're wondering why your bum isn't getting warm
Did you put them on before putting the car in ready mode?
Like LKA Ready mode resets quite a few things, I got caught out by this yesterday.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom