MG4 XPower pet peeves…

I get a squeal with mine when reversing out of my drive but not going forward thankfully.

As said a good weekly hard braking session from 70mph (when safe) is recommended by many experienced EV owners.
I need to try this! Despite the garage cleaning the sheen off the brakes pre-Christmas, the howling on reverse down our sloped driveway is back! I've tried a hard brake from 50mph and it's made no difference. The dealership is going to have another look when it's back in for the steering damper fitting on 30th January.

I need to try this! Despite the garage cleaning the sheen off the brakes pre-Christmas, the howling on reverse down our sloped driveway is back! I've tried a hard brake from 50mph and it's made no difference. The dealership is going to have another look when it's back in for the steering damper fitting on 30th January.
I’ve done some hard repeated braking today from 70mph and all squeals gone. I also do some hard braking in reverse on a quiet straight road after washing the car. I find it best to put the car into low regen when doing this brake disc cleaning 👍🏻👌.

I’ve done some hard repeated braking today from 70mph and all squeals gone. I also do some hard braking in reverse on a quiet straight road after washing the car. I find it best to put the car into low regen when doing this brake disc cleaning 👍🏻👌.
Knock it into neutral m8 so the brakes are fully employed.

Whilst driving at speed? Can you do that safely? I'd love to know so that I can resolve this without going back to the garage please.
Works fine at any speed but for me approaching a give way/lights close to home I quickly put into N and then (if clear behind me) a good few pumps on the brake pedal. As long as the pads & discs are meeting and getting rid of any build-up then job done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whilst driving at speed? Can you do that safely? I'd love to know so that I can resolve this without going back to the garage please.
Well I've been doing it for the last 5 months without issue.
I've got a couple of places where I like to clean up my discs.

My favourite spot is a NSL road, downhill, approaching the St Clears roundabout.

And for anyone who knows it, the one with The Starbucks, and now a Maccy Ds, Greggs, and 150kW charging facility.
Handy but expensive at 79p/kWh!
Been open a while now, but anyway I digress!

I like to accelerate up to 70 at the top of the hill, turn the drive selection knob to N and wait.

Now you can either gently apply the brakes for the whole distance or as I like to do, wait till the last second and properly throw the anchor out.

Traffic dictates which of those I do, but as a rule, I alternate them anyway.

When you finish your braking pop her back into D (without coming to a stop) and continue on your merry way... (into McDs in my case for a Sausage and Egg Muffin Meal which includes a Hash Brown and a flat white.
Nom.)

If you happen to select reverse by mistake, the car will beep at you and say 'Pardon 🤣
Are you sure you want reverse?

Don't worry, it won't go into reverse and explode both electric motors, lauching you into a lower earth orbit.

I know.
I've tried.

And yes, know it all (you know who you are) Shut Up.
Reverse only works on the rear motor.🤣

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I've been doing it for the last 5 months without issue.
I've got a couple of places where I like to clean up my discs.

My favourite spot is a NSL road, downhill, approaching the St Clears roundabout.

And for anyone who knows it, the one with The Starbucks, and now a Maccy Ds, Greggs, and 150kw charging facility.
Handy but expensive at 79ppkw!
Been open a while now, but anyway I digress!

I like to accelerate up to 70 at the top of the hill, turn the drive selection knob to N and wait.

Now you can either gently apply the brakes for the whole distance or as I like to do, wait til the last second and properly throw the anchor out.

Traffic dictates which of those I do, but as a rule, I alternate them anyway.

When you finish your braking pop her back into D (without coming to a stop) and continue on your merry way... (into McDs in my case for a Sausage and Egg Muffin Meal which includes a Hash Brown and a flat white.
Nom.)

If you happen to select reverse by mistake, the car will beep at you and say 'Pardon 🤣
Are you sure you want reverse?

Don't worry, it won't go into reverse and explode both electric motors, lauching you into a lower earth orbit.

I know.
I've tried.
Personally I’d have the fish fillet and use the hash brown to clean the discs.

My method is to put it on lowest regen and brake very hard from 70mph on a Dual Carriagway as I approach a roundabout. If I can overtake a few cars in the slow lane all the better 😁. I always check there’s no one behind me of course 👍

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom