Mg5 23 plate trophy voice commands?

r53mcs

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi guys, new mg5 trophy owner. Worked out most stuff but can't really be sure on one thing ....voice commands...we have a voice command button on steering wheel but it doesn't do anything when you press it. We are used to being able to make bluetooth calls/txt messages via asking the voice command system in our vauxhall and volvo estate predecessors to "call" x person etc. Is this not on the mg5 and they left a redundant button even on the top level car?

Tia

R

Hello, I have the same problem, it only works intermittently, I was told it is a software problem by the dealer and it will be fixed soon hopefully.
This is on the new (mk 2) MG4.
HC

Last edited:
The voice control only works with Android Auto or Apple Carplay, no control over Bluetooth.
At which point it should trigger Siri or Google Assistant*

*Or possibly a different one if you've changed it in your phones settings.

Hi guys, new mg5 trophy owner. Worked out most stuff but can't really be sure on one thing ....voice commands...we have a voice command button on steering wheel but it doesn't do anything when you press it. We are used to being able to make bluetooth calls/txt messages via asking the voice command system in our vauxhall and volvo estate predecessors to "call" x person etc. Is this not on the mg5 and they left a redundant button even on the top level car?

Tia

R
New to me MG5 SW EV December 2023! I checked whole manual for MG5 EV SW and could not find mention of the Human Voice Control button on steering wheel. Connecting an Android Phone, to use this button, seems a bit dumb as I am not sure what advantage there is in connecting to a phone. Surely it is meant to do something with the car rather than a phone?

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't got around to exploring this aspect yet, and probably won't for a week or two. But you piqued my interest. There's info in the Navi manual (all about info't screen) that may be pertinent; and then read this thread, which I presume won't be too different.

Tia

R
Its only there for android auto or carplay. It works fine with android auto for me with the same car as you. I'd recommend getting one of the wireless android auto adapters, it has made the connection much more dependable for me.

At which point it should trigger Siri or Google Assistant*

*Or possibly a different one if you've changed it in your phones settings.

Tia

R
I have the same car and have been unable to find any information on using voice commands, it would be useful if it worked!

I have the same car and have been unable to find any information on using voice commands, it would be useful if it worked!
The voice button is for android auto (and probably carplay) the car doesn't have any voice recognition of its own.

New to me MG5 SW EV December 2023! I checked whole manual for MG5 EV SW and could not find mention of the Human Voice Control button on steering wheel. Connecting an Android Phone, to use this button, seems a bit dumb as I am not sure what advantage there is in connecting to a phone. Surely it is meant to do something with the car rather than a phone?
Can you imagine MG being able to handle voice recognition in all of the markets that it sells cars into?

Perhaps obvious, but it's ideal answering/disconnecting phone calls. Irrespective of the phone yet it would be great to have Sat Nav voice commands capability. Not sure if that's possible via Android Auto?

Perhaps obvious, but it's ideal answering/disconnecting phone calls. Irrespective of the phone yet it would be great to have Sat Nav voice commands capability. Not sure if that's possible via Android Auto?
Totally possible. For navigating with, say, Google maps you simply press the button, wait for the tone and then use "navigate to...", "call...", "show EV charging points" etc

Possibly to do with current Draconian Law concerning "not allowed to touch phone at all whilst driving", so voice commands only legal option. :mad:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom