MG5 Auto lock

nickandsueholt

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Just looked at my MG5 manual page 132 and it clearly states that you pull the door handle once to unlock it and again to open it. Tried this on the rear doors and cannot get them to open (I did have the child locks off by the way). Any Ideas, as my wife was locked in the rear of the car yesterday unable to get out. Seems a little dangerous.

was the car locked 'automatically' (i.e. after driving over 6MPH) or with the key / door button? I would assume that the keys 'deadlock' the car. Don't remember seeing that in the manual, but it has been the case with other cars.

Upvote 0
was the car locked 'automatically' (i.e. after driving over 6MPH) or with the key / door button? I would assume that the keys 'deadlock' the car. Don't remember seeing that in the manual, but it has been the case with other cars.
I left the car unlocked in a carpark, and by the time I had reached the other side of the car park it locked itself with my wife in the rear seat.

Upvote 0
I left the car unlocked in a carpark, and by the time I had reached the other side of the car park it locked itself with my wife in the rear seat.
Hmm. I can only assume that the button has got pressed in your pocket, as the 5 doesn't auto-lock when you walk away.

The only alternative is that you had it locked at first, then unlocked it, but didn't open any of the doors within a minute or so. Then it assumes it was unlocked in error and locks again.

Upvote 0
Hmm. I can only assume that the button has got pressed in your pocket, as the 5 doesn't auto-lock when you walk away.

The only alternative is that you had it locked at first, then unlocked it, but didn't open any of the doors within a minute or so. Then it assumes it was unlocked in error and locks again.

I'm still learning so I may have relocked it without opening the door.

Upvote 0
Just looked at my MG5 manual page 132 and it clearly states that you pull the door handle once to unlock it and again to open it. Tried this on the rear doors and cannot get them to open (I did have the child locks off by the way). Any Ideas, as my wife was locked in the rear of the car yesterday unable to get out. Seems a little dangerous.
Remembered to give this a go yesterday then forgot to post!

Yeah, it looks like the rear internal door handles don't unlock the car at all. Never noticed before as the people in the back generally get out when I do!

Upvote 0
It autolocks?

I tried walking across the car park and my mate stood by the car and it was still unlocked when I was a good 300m away

First things we tested

Upvote 0
It autolocks?

I tried walking across the car park and my mate stood by the car and it was still unlocked when I was a good 300m away

First things we tested
I think the auto lock is what happens whenever the car reaches 5mph as opposed to being related to the keyless entry.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom