MG5 Battery Degradation?

It may be due to the weather and the batteries being stone cold at the start, as they warm up the performance improves. The other day at 0c I lost the first 5% after just 5.6 miles.
That and you'll be a using a lot of power for the HVAC/Heating particularly if the cabin is cold.

It may be due to the weather and the batteries being stone cold at the start, as they warm up the performance improves. The other day at 0c I lost the first 5% after just 5.6 miles.

One other thing I forgot about of course is that the car is not regenerating for the first 5% so it will fall faster.

One other thing I forgot about of course is that the car is not regenerating for the first 5% so it will fall faster.
Very true. In fact it was odder than usual. Initially it said regen not available, as usual, but then it flatly refused to allow me to put it into KERS3, totally ignoring my pushing of the toggle.
It let me switch between 1 and 2 quite happily until down to about 96% when it relented and finally responded to my request for KERS3. (I was still in town before the fast roads).

Quite normal to have regen unavailable when full but never had (or maybe not noticed) it's refusal to go to KERS3. Has anyone else had or noticed this ?

Very true. In fact it was odder than usual. Initially it said regen not available, as usual, but then it flatly refused to allow me to put it into KERS3, totally ignoring my pushing of the toggle.
It let me switch between 1 and 2 quite happily until down to about 96% when it relented and finally responded to my request for KERS3. (I was still in town before the fast roads).

Quite normal to have regen unavailable when full but never had (or maybe not noticed) it's refusal to go to KERS3. Has anyone else had or noticed this ?
Could be wrong, but I think that went away when they did the KERS brake light update.
it doesn't DO KERS 3 when full, but lets you switch to that mode now and it kicks in as the battery drops a bit.

When the battery is 100% regeneration doesn't work and so the car is less efficient, particularly in town stop/start driving. You can notice it when you expect the car to brake itself using KERS and nothing much happens, a bit alarming.

Could be wrong, but I think that went away when they did the KERS brake light update.
it doesn't DO KERS 3 when full, but lets you switch to that mode now and it kicks in as the battery drops a bit.
My KERS update was done prior to delivery at the factory and brake lights are working correctly.
When full it doesn't do any KERS let alone level 3, a little message comes up something like 'regenerative braking is currently unavailable'.
I had never noticed it not even allow me to select KERS3 for the first few miles but thinking about it I had pre-warmed (switched on and turned on heating whilst still plugged in charging) and the battery was fully balanced too.

On that topic (but mot that of this thread) I'd previously reported my KERS 1) didn't feel "strong" enough to require brake lights and 2) (maybe therefore not surprisingly) wasn't causing the brake lights to come on, at any time.

They completed a software update in the first service and (presumably as a result) KERS braking is more noticeable and the brake light comes on.

5 SR at first service 12000 miles ish battery SOH 100%
16500 miles SHO 100% sold car at 18500 miles far as I know still 100% SOH

Hi Gomev what you are seeing there is Normal mine was the very same

When the five was first launched the brake lights did not work at all unless you pressed the brake pedal and after a lot of pushing of MG and the DVSA getting involved
MG did a recall on all 5s for a soft ware update after that was applied the brake lights worked while under Regen braking but only on the Kers 3 setting.

Now to get back on Topic. MG5 Battery Degradation.
Just watch this video below with the fully charged guys where they talk about batteries wearing out in EVs its a good watch in full but at around 16:15 to around 17:30 they talk about the MG 5 in particular some of which have got 250,000 kilometres on the clock in China and I still going great guns so nothing to worry about at all it seems I have posted it here below Have a watch.
Les.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom