MG5 Brake failure

Hi all
I have a MK1 52kwh MG5 Exclusive 21 plate bought new from MG dealer.
Before Xmas 7th Dec 2023 driving down from Scotland in torrential rain a red warning light came on but it was pitch black and pouring down and there was no way I was stopping on the hard shoulder seeing as the services was only a few miles away (Southwaite). I pulled into the sevices and and the car completely died before I could make the car park. Managed to coast to a lay-by inside the services. Car is eventually recovered and taken to my dealer that I bought it from. They couldn’t fix it as they didn’t have a level 4 technician so it eventually made its way from Deeside to Sheffield where is stayed until 17th Jan.
Apparently the fault was water ingress due to a missing rubber grommet. Problem fixed car needed to be driven back to Deesside Dealer for their inspection before they could give it me back under battery warranty.

On the way back apparently there was ‘complete brake failure’ After inspection it was a flexi brake pipe that had worn through because it was rubbing against the near side rear wheel!

I was due to get the car back this week as the replacement hose was due in on Tuesday. I have requested the old hose and a full report and now I have been told the car isn’t ready as there was a delivery issue with the replacement hose.

The first fault was scary enough but to be told the brakes suffered complete failure driving back from Sheffield has unnerved me to say the least.

I reported a strange noise coming from the rear wheel area last year and I asked them to check the breaks and I was told they were still ‘like new’

Apparently it isn’t even a warranty job as the car has gone over 45k (actually 48k now) and I will be asked to pay for a new hose.

At this point I have to say that the Service Manager has been really helpful with the original fault even loaning me the car he was using as he couldn’t get one for me from MG. So up to this point I have been very happy with their own service but I know they are really frustrated with MG who apparently only had until recently 2 people looking after warranty claims in the UK!

So I am mid way through this Brake Hose failure but I too am a little anxious about driving the car in future if this can happen.

I will update this post as matters progress.

Hang on: you reported a strange noise coming from the rear wheel area last year and asked them to check the brakes.

I bet the car wasn't over 45k miles when you first reported a possible issue with the brakes. The fact that they couldn't find anything doesn't mean a fault wasn't there. Surely the only issue is that they didn't find the cause.

Hang on: you reported a strange noise coming from the rear wheel area last year and asked them to check the brakes.

I bet the car wasn't over 45k miles when you first reported a possible issue with the brakes. The fact that they couldn't find anything doesn't mean a fault wasn't there. Surely the only issue is that they didn't find the cause.
My thought exactly. I remember one of the girls
on the desk making a note as it was going in for service so those notes should still be there.
I will give them time to respond and do the right thing as contrary to some of the horror stories I have read about MG dealers service when things go wrong, my dealers service manager has been great up to now.

Here is a link on the forum, that you may find very interesting !.
2 others owners have had suffered brake failure.
The photo below is taken from the thread above.

MG5 Brake Pipe  2024-02-02 at 19.06.49.png

Here is a link on the forum, that you may find very interesting !.
2 others owners have had suffered brake failure.
The photo below is taken from the thread above.

View attachment 23547
Thanks for this. I have seen this in the postings as I read the whole thread which prompted me to post. It can’t be isolated and what about everyone this has happened to who don’t post on these sites? I nearly didn’t. I sent a screen shot a few days ago from the service video they did last year. It may not be the flexi pipe that actually failed but it looks pretty close to the wheel to me. I can’t see how on this site to attach it to my post. I am awaiting their comment.

On the way back apparently there was ‘complete brake failure’ After inspection it was a flexi brake pipe that had worn through because it was rubbing against the near side rear wheel!
So, it would appear it WAS a very similar failure point as the photo above then ?.
But now you question if it was the flexi pipe that failed, so I am a bit confused.
I would have a sit down meeting with your friendly service manager and ask him to explain what the exact cause of the compete brake failure and why ?.
It's important that to see the pipe for yourself.
Does it display an similar signs like the photo above, that could indicate it had been fouling on the rim of the wheel ?.
On a car of this age, flex pipes are extremely unlikely to fail due to perishing like on older cars.

So, it would appear it WAS a very similar failure point as the photo above then ?.
But now you question if it was the flexi pipe that failed, so I am a bit confused.
I would have a sit down meeting with your friendly service manager and ask him to explain what the exact cause of the compete brake failure and why ?.
It's important that to see the pipe for yourself.
Does it display an similar signs like the photo above, that could indicate it had been fouling on the rim of the wheel ?.
On a car of this age, flex pipes are extremely unlikely to fail due to perishing like on older cars.
Sorry a little ambiguous of me there. I meant it’s the screen shot I took (that I can’t find how to post here) that may not show the exact hose that failed (ie it could be a different wheel) but I should also have said it was the same service manager who told me it was a worn flexi hose and the failure was caused by rubbing against the Near side rear wheel. I have asked them to keep the old hose for me and give me a full report.

Sorry a little ambiguous of me there. I meant it’s the screen shot I took (that I can’t find how to post here) that may not show the exact hose that failed (ie it could be a different wheel) but I should also have said it was the same service manager who told me it was a worn flexi hose and the failure was caused by rubbing against the Near side rear wheel. I have asked them to keep the old hose for me and give me a full report.
Please post again with photo of the pipe and a report of the cause please.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom