• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG5 Camping Boot Test

That’s a lot of stuff but good effort with the packing - time for a roofbox!

We’ve a dog cage that takes up nearly all boot space but only one child so can use the rear seat for storage (shame the base doesn’t fold - Grand CMax was so flexible). 510 litre roof box fits 55kg (it’s 20kg box/bars) so luggage and beach tent go there. Thankfully we don’t need to squeeze a tent in too!

Yes several times now. We have a big German Shepard in the boot so all our camping gear and luggage goes on the back seat, the flat floor in the back is useful. If you have no rear seat passengers you can remove the rear seat base (pull up from the front to un-clip) you then have a flat load space.

3 kids, a labradoodle and the wife. I’m not looking forward to the big holiday as it’s a full house for an overnight trip with minimal luggage 😂

3 kids, a labradoodle and the wife. I’m not looking forward to the big holiday as it’s a full house for an overnight trip with minimal luggage 😂
Now that you need to update us with.
Only have the 1 baby and the 1 Labrador. But rare go away not to do an activity so roof is always full of either kayak/surfboard or bike. Before this car had no baby and a van. The adjustment is a serious challenge.

You did well. We have a huge tent - very bulky - and three kids. No dog.
An absolute necessity for us is a Roof box. In fact when we went camping we filled our roof box AND sat the tent on top of the roof bars - strapped on beside the roof box. Didn't look pretty but got us there..

We have a huge old cabanon tent, 2 kids and a dog. I think we're going to have to reduce our camping kit, but losing the gas fridge will be a shame! I am looking to get something like this for the big bulky things, roof boxes are always hard to fit things in I find.

Screenshot_20220605-203510.png

We have a huge old cabanon tent, 2 kids and a dog. I think we're going to have to reduce our camping kit, but losing the gas fridge will be a shame! I am looking to get something like this for the big bulky things, roof boxes are always hard to fit things in I find.

View attachment 8768
That's a good shout actually. We have a roof box that is good for being fairly streamlined and hopefully the extra drag doesn't reduce range too much. But it is best for putting soft bags etc in.
When we go camping the big stuff has to go in the car.

If we had something like that we could put a lot more bulky stuff on the roof. That would work better for camping - we don't generally go that far and there is a lot more large, bulky stuff to pack. Would have to take more care with strapping stuff down though!

Camping this weekend. Baby, Labrador (on middle seat instead of boot). 4 person tent and dog crate plus all usual bits fitted in….. just. Rear footwells packed. No toys taken with me this weekend. Just bare essentials so going to have to work out some space saving ideas for future trips.

Here's our first attempt of packing up our MG5 to the brim! Has anyone else been camping with it yet? Any tips?

A week in st Andrews with my wife, eldest daughter , 2 dogs oh and a dog pram. Luggage as well, was a tight squeeze but managed it. 😬 thank goodness for door mirrors and reversing cameras 😂

So completed our holiday, 110 miles or so each way was well in range for the SR and charged on the granny when we got there. Fitted us all in - 3 kids, wife, dog, luggage and pushchair and no moaning from anyone. Different driving style there and back clearly reflected in the stats. Kept to around 60-65mph on way there and drove as I would in an ICE on the way back - wife preferred the way there 😂😂😂😢

Attachments

• 68E26A89-5E02-48C2-A1FA-04265B576E3D.jpeg
    68E26A89-5E02-48C2-A1FA-04265B576E3D.jpeg
    286.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 4F837139-F0CB-4428-A765-4E731674A19E.jpeg
    4F837139-F0CB-4428-A765-4E731674A19E.jpeg
    374.3 KB · Views: 100
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back