MG5 Drivers display gone

Dino

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Happily driving along and the driver’s display has suddenly gone, just some blurred lines.

So no speedo (fortunately got the manual one), no way to see remaining charge or GOM, no way to check 12v charge, no way to verify mileage, no way to confirm lights on etc., nothing.

Can hear indicators and see working on wing mirrors.

I’ve tried switching the car off and on, and I’ve tried taking the negative off the 12v. Neither has worked, although I can hear all the alerts binging after I reconnected the battery.

Next thing to check while I wait for the dealer to open on Monday morning is the fuse. I think it’s F30 in the passenger fuse box. Manual says it is in the lower panel on driver’s side but I can’t see it. I pulled the bottom side panel off but nothing there.

Can someone help me with exactly where the fuse box is and confirm it’s F30 for the display?

Anyone else had this problem? Can’t find anything in the search function.

Thanks

Attachments

• 433505EF-2C98-4C48-B2D4-C3C88B571419.jpeg
    433505EF-2C98-4C48-B2D4-C3C88B571419.jpeg
    442.8 KB · Views: 98
The easiest way to access the fuse box is via the side panel:
pfb.JPG

In your case it probably isn't down to a fuse though.
If you've already done a 12V reset it may be a defective display.

The easiest way to SEE the fusebox is to remove the end panel..

The easiest way to WORK on the fusebox is to then remove the trim panel under the steering column. Remove the two screws under the end panel then give it a firm sharp pull toward the rear of the car, not downwards. It wont come off completely because of the bonnet release but yo can lay it on the floor and you have unobstructed visibility of all the fuses.

Update:
Was in for diagnostic check today and the unit is being replaced as it’s kaput.

Another update:

New unit fitted today and all back to normal.
Spent the last few weeks just keeping it topped up and only doing routes I had done before so knew what charge it would use.
I had a Fiat 500 as a courtesy car, and aside from the size issue for a tall guy it really made me appreciate the MG5 driving around in a small petrol manual car. Worst thing was how I needed to have the front blower on constantly to keep the windscreen clear. Also queuing in traffic made the GOM on the 500 drop faster than sport mode on the motorway in the MG!

The easiest way to access the fuse box is via the side panel:
View attachment 14491
In your case it probably isn't down to a fuse though.
If you've already done a 12V reset it may be a defective display.
This forum is great. Much better than the manual that you have to download. I’ve blown the 12v socket using the MG pump from the boot. The manual gives vague locations of fuses but only here do I find out I have to take the car apart to change the fuse?!?!?

It’s in for first service next week. Will give the garage something to do.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom