• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG5 Facelift - how to do equalisation charging

mickw

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I've had my Mk2 MG5 for a month now.
I have Go Tariff so have set it up so that every night it starts charging at 00:30 and set the max charge level to 80%. That's been working fine.
(Charger is set to always on - the scheduling etc is set up on the car itself.)

Last night I wanted to do equalisation charge.
On the car I turned off the scheduling, set max charge rate to 100% and plugged it in at 00:30

It started charging and said charging end time would be something like 03:35.

This morning I expected it to be still trickling a little charge as it should still have been completing equalisation, but it was not charging.

So I guess the questions are :

• if max charge is set to 100% does it stop as soon as it reaches 100% and if so how do you make it keep charging after that to do equalisation?
  • is it possible that the car decided it didn't need eq charge, or if it did need one it was very brief?

I suppose the bottom line is that I don't really know if I've done an eq charge or not.

Any thoughts would be welcome

In one year of ownership and occasional charging to 100% I have never seen any evidence of equalisation taking place. Mind you I only charge on a granny.

In one year of ownership and occasional charging to 100% I have never seen any evidence of equalisation taking place. Mind you I only charge on a granny.
How long after the SOC reaches 100% do you see the IHD drawing 300W which roughly what is required to battery balance.?

I've had my Mk2 MG5 for a month now.
I have Go Tariff so have set it up so that every night it starts charging at 00:30 and set the max charge level to 80%. That's been working fine.
(Charger is set to always on - the scheduling etc is set up on the car itself.)

Last night I wanted to do equalisation charge.
On the car I turned off the scheduling, set max charge rate to 100% and plugged it in at 00:30

It started charging and said charging end time would be something like 03:35.

This morning I expected it to be still trickling a little charge as it should still have been completing equalisation, but it was not charging.

So I guess the questions are :

• if max charge is set to 100% does it stop as soon as it reaches 100% and if so how do you make it keep charging after that to do equalisation?
  • is it possible that the car decided it didn't need eq charge, or if it did need one it was very brief?

I suppose the bottom line is that I don't really know if I've done an eq charge or not.

Any thoughts would be welcome
If you have the price cap set on your Ohme then it will only use the 4 hour slot.
What was your SOC when you connected the car?

Because the granny charger is very slow, hanging around to catch the 100% point isn't really practical so I have no idea what happens at the end of the charge. I rather naively thought the cars' system might indicate that equalisation had taken place.

It could easily have completed equalisation inside a few hours.
What time did you check?
Thanks for the replies.

I looked at the MG app and my charger app at about 07:30 (i.e. about 4 hours after it would have reached 100%) and both said charging had stopped.

So I suppose it could have completed eq charging by then - but other than staying up and watching what it did at around 3:30 am is there any other way I can tell whether it actually stopped as soon as it got to 100% or continued trickling afterwards? My Hypervolt charger app just tells me the total kWh for the session (not charging duration), so given that the eq part of the charging is very low power I can't really tell if it did extra hours at a few hundred watts or not.

So I suppose the questions for the future are :

• if I turn off all time scheduling, set max charge level to 100%, and then just plug in and leave it, can I assume that once 100% is reached it will carry on with eq charging?
  • and when charging stops it means the eq charge must have competed?

Many thanks

• if I turn off all time scheduling, set max charge level to 100%, and then just plug in and leave it, can I assume that once 100% is reached it will carry on with eq charging?
  • and when charging stops it means the eq charge must have competed?

Many thanks
Yes, yes.

Unfortunately, the HyperVolt App only gives a reading of daily consumption. It used to do this in half hourly slices so you could follow the equalisation process. See my post here:

So, here are some interesting numbers. On Friday Night / Saturday morning I set my MG5 Trophy to charge to 100%, as I was going on a long journey on Saturday.

The EV charger is plugged in to a subsidiary external consumer unit which is shared with the power plugged into our motorhome. The motorhome uses about 900W constantly when the heating is on (it's set to heat when the internal temperature drops below around 7C, so that everything doesn't freeze inside). I have an Emporia Energy meter in the main consumer unit which measures and records the energy usage going to the external consumer unit.

As you can see from the first image, up until 1:13am the draw was 7.9kW -- which is the 900W from the motorhome and the 7kW from the charger. At 1:14am it dropped down to around 6kW, then at 1:15am again down to about 1.25kW. The 1.24kW is 900W heating, plus about 15-25W that the motorhome draws when doing nothing (maintenance of the leisure battery, keeping the wifi router running, electronics to measure the temperature, etc), plus about 300W of the car doing its top-up charge.

charging.jpeg

Now look at the second image below. At around 4:55am, the temperature in the motorhome finally went back up above 5 degrees (it was a really cold night, -4 overnight) and the 900W draw was turned off. The 300W from the car, however, seems to have kept going up until around 5:07am at which point that too vanished and all that was left was the background load of the motorhome.

endcharge.jpeg

Based on this data, it seems that the car kept the 300W draw for a little under 4 hours after it completed its main charge up to 100%.

Hope that's useful,

-simon

Didn't know there was an app, and I can't schedule charging on my 7kW charge point anyway. The supplied manual (MG5 estate long range) was vague about equalisation charging but I got the impression that if you charge to 100% on a 3-pin plug slow (~1kW) charge it will equalise anyway. I've no idea how I would know whetherit had.

Didn't know there was an app, and I can't schedule charging on my 7kW charge point anyway. The supplied manual (MG5 estate long range) was vague about equalisation charging but I got the impression that if you charge to 100% on a 3-pin plug slow (~1kW) charge it will equalise anyway. I've no idea how I would know whetherit had.
Hi, you can battery balance on any AC type2 EVSE charge point. Just leave it to get to 100% and the car drops the charge rate until the balance is complete then turns off the EVSE

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom