MG5 for UK Driving test

MGJimmy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I just came on to say that I have just passed my test in my 5 yesterday :) I also saw 3 other MG5’s on the road while doing the test…Worcester is obviously an enlightened place! Pretty sure my driving instructor is going to buy one for teaching in and my examiner and I spent 20 minutes at the end of the test talking about the car!

Congratulations and yes I read an article the other day saying that many instructors are now using EVs.

Am I right in saying though that you can never drive a manual as you effectively took an automatic test?

Thank you :). Yeah, it’s just an automatic license. Which is fine, why would I go back to combustion?
For driving instructors going EV would save them mega bucks on fuel.

Yes, I know that if you pass your test in an automatic, that means you don’t have a licence for manual cars but if you’re an American or Canadian maybe, who has a U.S. or Canadian drivers licence, I believe that it is legal to come over here and drive a manual immediately using an International Driving Licence. Correct?

Last edited:
Yes, I know that if you pass your test in an automatic, that means you don’t have a licence for manual cars but if you’re an American or Canadian maybe, who has a U.S. or Canadian drivers licence, I believe that it is legal to come over here and drive a manual immediately using an International Driving Licence. Correct?
Yeah 100% correct to Canada a driving licence is a driving licence my Daughter took her test in an automatic, Her first car was a manual" stick shift"

I get the logic, the driving test is more about knowing the rules of the road and being able to manoeuvre your car safely… learning a manual transmission shouldn’t require a whole new test as it’s just learning a different way of interacting with the drivetrain. But, as I say, why would I go back to combustion? Before long all cars on the road will be electric and manuals will only be for the super enthusiasts.
And not long after that we won’t need to drive our cars as they’ll drive themselves… but thinking that was only just around the corner is why I’ve reached 42 years old before learning to drive!

ISTR someone in the US failed their driving test in a Tesla, something to do with the fact that they were using one pedal driving and not physically applying the brakes.

ISTR someone in the US failed their driving test in a Tesla, something to do with the fact that they were using one pedal driving and not physically applying the brakes.
I was using KERS 3, so barely touched the brakes. I was very grateful for the reversing camera too!

Congratulations and yes I read an article the other day saying that many instructors are now using EVs.

Am I right in saying though that you can never drive a manual as you effectively took an automatic test?
I know there's one uses an e208 in Chippenham area.

Thank you :). Yeah, it’s just an automatic license. Which is fine, why would I go back to combustion?
For driving instructors going EV would save them mega bucks on fuel.
Congratulations✔️ bet they don't reduce the cost of a lesson 🤔

Ah well suppose initial outlay is greater than ICE manual cars.😁

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom