MG5 LR 2022 Infotainment

RogerWill

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
On the 18th Aug the MG5 is going to our dealer Richmond Portsmouth.
Problem at leas once a week the infotainment screen stops working.
Also when setting out Android auto works, but rare for it ever to function in that same journey if we turn the car off/lock the car.
Is this a common fault/ ever likely to be fixed
thanks

I luckily haven’t had any issues with my infotainment screen, but there have been issues reported. I am sure the dealer will be able to sort it, although I think the warranty on the infotainment unit is only 3 years.

I luckily haven’t had any issues with my infotainment screen, but there have been issues reported. I am sure the dealer will be able to sort it, although I think the warranty on the infotainment unit is only 3 years.
Thanks for support, historically with car infotainment it's having the fault repeat, in this case, it will be odd if it does not repeat itself

I have had a couple of occasions (over 3 months of having it) where the info screen has just gone black and nothing has worked. Both times I was connecting to/using AA. Turning car off for a few minutes and back on again fixed it. I do have issues with AA regularly but couldn't tell you if that's the car, cable, phone or a combo! Good luck getting it sorted as once a week would be annoying.

I would double check your cable. Non original cables can cause problems.

You can also force reboot the infotainment system by holding down the home button for a few seconds.

On my SR 71 plate MG5 I find the Android Auto next to useless. In fact the whole system has a mind of its' own: the music will be playing nothing but showing a track whilst my phone is showing something else playing. I generally just get cross and leave it on Radio 4. It had a whole replacement unit in under warranty but I'm thinking I'd be better with just with a decent car radio - in fact one you could just switch off would be great 🤣

Out May 22 LR had regularly had its screen turn off, sometimes there was radio on,and for a trip once the android auto had set up, if say you stopped briefly ie fuel even shopping, it seemed the android would not work.
In 2 days ago Richmond Portsmouth tried a software update 3 times.So took back again yesterday and mid morning was advised the update was complete.
I have only used it on the way home a few miles,where I tried disconnecting the phone and Android worked.
When we bought the car I was advised the car had latest update - I suspect not!
This I know does not help you.
I will offer our situation if still faults, and in a couple of weeks give a progress report

Out May 22 LR had regularly had its screen turn off, sometimes there was radio on,and for a trip once the android auto had set up, if say you stopped briefly ie fuel even shopping, it seemed the android would not work.
In 2 days ago Richmond Portsmouth tried a software update 3 times.So took back again yesterday and mid morning was advised the update was complete.
I have only used it on the way home a few miles,where I tried disconnecting the phone and Android worked.
When we bought the car I was advised the car had latest update - I suspect not!
This I know does not help you.
I will offer our situation if still faults, and in a couple of weeks give a progress report
No problems with mine so far, fingers crossed 😀

I would double check your cable. Non original cables can cause problems.

You can also force reboot the infotainment system by holding down the home button for a few seconds.
First thing I did with issue is to get good ie communicating, not just charging cables THANKD

On my SR 71 plate MG5 I find the Android Auto next to useless. In fact the whole system has a mind of its' own: the music will be playing nothing but showing a track whilst my phone is showing something else playing. I generally just get cross and leave it on Radio 4. It had a whole replacement unit in under warranty but I'm thinking I'd be better with just with a decent car radio - in fact one you could just switch off would be great 🤣
I am aware others have had hardware changed, but if software, issues nothing will change.
One wonders what they do, on Thursday they tried 3 times n Friday at least once.I asked why it doesn't work 1st go - answer- " depends on which connections they make" SO are there more than one variable to update.
Tis a bit odd

Ours died temporarily whilst using navigation and radio. I could see the time and temperature at the top, hear the radio but nothing displayed in the center. Android Auto worked so this must be a software problem. Restarted the car a few times didn't work but fine by next morning.

MG5 LR I had my car almost a year and Android Auto (AA) works fine most of the time but recently AA has been randomly switching off. I'm using the same cable I always use but suddenly yesterday it said cable is not compatible with AA, what has changed?

Ours died temporarily whilst using navigation and radio. I could see the time and temperature at the top, hear the radio but nothing displayed in the center. Android Auto worked so this must be a software problem. Restarted the car a few times didn't work but fine by next morning.
Exactly as ours - as said I will update as we do miles,

MG5 LR I had my car almost a year and Android Auto (AA) works fine most of the time but recently AA has been randomly switching off. I'm using the same cable I always use but suddenly yesterday it said cable is not compatible with AA, what has changed?
AA has been updated to identify cable issues. There are a couple of recent threads about AA with some tips for reliable use.

Worth noting over a year I would have plugged and unplugged my cable a minimum of 700 times, I expect it will start to show some wear and tear.

Ours is only 3 months old new " cables" 1 month old - 2 way not charge only ones, so have a spare if issues occur, maybe just swap for charge only devices routinely
Thank you

Strangely my wife's Samsung has less trouble with AA than my Redmi Note 10 using the same cable. I have also discovered you can spell street names to Google maps for navigation which comes in handy. Saves me swearing at it so much!

AA has been updated to identify cable issues. There are a couple of recent threads about AA with some tips for reliable use.
Is this AA on the car, if so how does it get its update? OTA through the phone? I will have a hunt for the threads you mention.

EDIT: Just found that it gets it from the phone. My phone is not yet on V8 of AA but I'll let it happen naturally rather than force it.

Last edited:
My screen has gone black a couple of times in the past week or so. Going into reverse so the rear camera comes on appears to fix it.

I’ll have to put it in to get checked.

I am not sure if this has been brought up, but I have recently been told by a insurance repair friend, that MG dealers and anyone working on them have to work through Chinese remote software.Because of this my friend says it can be sometimes impossible to update/ reinstate software.
Hence after telling him it took 2 days and 4 attempts to update our infotainment system( which now appears to be not blacking out every couple of days), he advised sometimes it is impossible to update this way.
Also I now realise that when we collected the car from new, and asked conformation the car had the latest software update, I am pretty sure it did not- and we are not going to know

MG dealers and anyone working on them have to work through Chinese remote software.Because of this my friend says it can be sometimes impossible to update/ reinstate software.

Removing the word Chinese would make that sentence fit the vast majority of current manufacturers. I have no idea of the usability of SAIC's, but there's no reason to expect it to be any worse than others apart from simple language and cultural differences.

asked conformation the car had the latest software update, I am pretty sure it did not- and we are not going to know

You cannot see that on any modern car that I've worked on without the relevant manufacturers tools* or relying on heresay from fora like this one. As an example my Wife has a Sunderland built LEAF (so Anglo Japanese) and using LEAFSpy (3rd party software) I can access the software version codes), but there's no official public way of finding the correct latest versions for that specification car other than the Nissan Connect dealer software.

*Volvo is an exception with the clearly leaked unofficial versions of VIDA.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom