MG5 LR charge routine (taxi)

firstMGEV

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi guys first post here. So I thought I would share my charging routine with you as I enter into my 3rd week of working with this car as a private hire.

I tend to stick to between working 8-10 hours per shift (back shift) so getting warmer temperatures for the first half of the working day.

Start time 4pm after doing a granny charge to 100%

Then around 8-9pm about half way into my shift I will be sitting at about 46-48% charge

Then I visit a 50kw rapid charger and take it up to about 82-84% and then continue to work until it gets to around 60% then I drive home which takes around 9% then again onto the granny charger till around 4pm the next day taking it up to 100% most days.

This is 5 to 6 days a week.

What do you think ? It works out to be between 150-170 miles a day.

Thanks in advance for any reply

Sounds fine as far as the battery health/care is concerned.

Don't know how much your rapid charging costs are or your home electricity costs, but obviously aim to do as little of the expensive and as much as the cheaper as possible.

Presumably you don't have a 7kW home charger as you granny charge, do you have an EV home tariff ?

I don’t have a 7kw at home I was planning on getting one but so far the nice slow granny charger is fine and getting it full when I need it. As for cost public chargers where I live are still free and my smart meter at home is telling me I’m using around 10-13 per day but that’s also running a full house hold. It’s working out a dam bit cheaper than my old diesel Citroen berlingo 👍🫡

If you get a home charger you could cut out the rapid charges altogether. 150-170 a day is easily doable in an MG5 (even the SR except maybe winter)

There's an Irish guy runs a youtube channel about his MG5 taxi.

Hi guys first post here. So I thought I would share my charging routine with you as I enter into my 3rd week of working with this car as a private hire.

I tend to stick to between working 8-10 hours per shift (back shift) so getting warmer temperatures for the first half of the working day.

Start time 4pm after doing a granny charge to 100%

Then around 8-9pm about half way into my shift I will be sitting at about 46-48% charge

Then I visit a 50kw rapid charger and take it up to about 82-84% and then continue to work until it gets to around 60% then I drive home which takes around 9% then again onto the granny charger till around 4pm the next day taking it up to 100% most days.

This is 5 to 6 days a week.

What do you think ? It works out to be between 150-170 miles a day.

Thanks in advance for any reply
With the massive extra cost of DC charging, can’t you last all day on a full charge and restrict your charging to overnight cheaper rates? It would be better if you could install a home 7kwhr box - not sure if you’re able to do this. Or perhaps even top up on a slower public charger at a cheaper rate?DC charging is so relatively expensive that anything you can do to minimise it saves money.

I don’t have a 7kw at home I was planning on getting one but so far the nice slow granny charger is fine and getting it full when I need it. As for cost public chargers where I live are still free and my smart meter at home is telling me I’m using around 10-13 per day but that’s also running a full house hold. It’s working out a dam bit cheaper than my old diesel Citroen berlingo 👍🫡
Just saw this - free public charging! Go for it! 👍

Not quite free, I believe council tax covers it and there is a bit of a backlash from some who pay it. When I was in Scotland in the summer a few of the CPS machines were payable.

Not quite free, I believe council tax covers it and there is a bit of a backlash from some who pay it. When I was in Scotland in the summer a few of the CPS machines were payable.
Yes many of the free chargers around me will start costing us after Wednesday this coming week 😫
But around £20 per week at home will be so much nicer than £50- £60 twice a week standing at a smelly diesel pump filling the diesel automatic Berlingo which did more mileage admittedly when I was working.

If you get a home charger you could cut out the rapid charges altogether. 150-170 a day is easily doable in an MG5 (even the SR except maybe winter)

There's an Irish guy runs a youtube channel about his MG5 taxi.
After thinking about this comment I think you are absolutely right I could just keep working without the rapid top up and just do my full charge at night. Thanks for the advice

If you get a 7kW EVSE then you could pop home and top up 3x faster than a granny unit.

Given that the Rapid is free that's around £15/day compared to charging at home. Personally I'd use the Rapid on the way home and take it to 80% and then take it to 100% once a week on the Granny. Obviously once they start charging for the Rapid then a home EVSE and an EV appropriate tariff such as Go or IO.

Given that the Rapid is free that's around £15/day compared to charging at home. Personally I'd use the Rapid on the way home and take it to 80% and then take it to 100% once a week on the Granny. Obviously once they start charging for the Rapid then a home EVSE and an EV appropriate tariff such as Go or IO.
I go 100% every day but may change to 90% a day if I give up the rapid charge too up

I guess that my ZSEV will not be a lot different regarding the battery system in your car. Mine has been used as a taxi for the last 12 months and has been charged completely randomly as and where necessary. It is always charged up overnight on my 7kw charger. Sometimes it might have 80% charge left in the battery and sometimes very little. I charge up during the day with top-ups sometimes and other times I just let it run it's full 250k and then come home. This car has never caused any issues with the charging or anything else for that matter. I don't think one could have given a battery more grief than I have in this car and have it perform the high degree that it has. I would personally just charge as and when needed or when you feel comfortable doing that during the day and not worry too much about a particular routine. Good luck with your private hire job.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom