• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG5 LR Dashcam placement.

Honestly, I don't even know why I bothered. So I received a text from Halfords to say my camera fitting was booked Sunday, and my camera had arrive for Click and Collect:

Me: Hi, i'm here for my dash cam fitting appointment
Hal: Erm.... a dashcam fitting?
Yes, I'm booked in for today.
Hal: Erm... how?
Me: sorry, what? I purchased a dash cam and selected today as a fitting date?
Hal: Oh, ok. How did you do that?
Me: Sorry come again?! Via your website?!
Hal: Oh. Erm, we can't fit it.
Me: Why?!
Hal: We don't have any fitters.
Me: So why did the site let me book it then?!
Hal: Oh it does that. Been like it for ages.
Me: It lets me book when you don't have fitters?
Hal: Yes.
Me: Refund me the fitting, I'll do it myself. Can I have my camera then.
Hal: You ordered a camera?
Me: Of for f@cks sake, YES I ORDERED IT ON YOUR SITE!
Hal: To come to store?
Me: YES!! I have a click and collect confirmation. It's at your store right now.
Hal: Erm, hold on...

So it took two staff and another long wait to even find the camera.

So, on to Amazon for a fitting kit HERE (hopefully this will be OK for the MG5). Just need to find out which fuse to use!!
That hard wired kit works fine. I fitted a Nextbase 622gw front and rear cameras last weekend. I used the cigarette lighter socket fuse (15Amp) which was fairly easy to access from the removed dash end panel. I just used 2 flat screwdrivers to pop out the fuse, 1 from under the dash and 1 from the side, and levered it out. Remember to clip the ferrite core around the cable as directed or it may interfere with your dab radio signal.

That hard wired kit works fine. I fitted a Nextbase 622gw front and rear cameras last weekend. I used the cigarette lighter socket fuse (15Amp) which was fairly easy to access from the removed dash end panel. I just used 2 flat screwdrivers to pop out the fuse, 1 from under the dash and 1 from the side, and levered it out. Remember to clip the ferrite core around the cable as directed or it may interfere with your dab radio signal.
Thank you @Justin H. By way of apology Halfords are sending me a Nextbase wiring kit so I'll give it a go. I've read that most people use Fuse 1 for a dash cam install, is there any reason you decided against that / went for cig lighter fuse?

Most go for the F1 fuse which is for the accessory feed so is switched.

Just reachable from the off side dash end panel. The top add-a-fuse adapter in the picture from Amazon should be the one to use.

Thank you @Justin H. By way of apology Halfords are sending me a Nextbase wiring kit so I'll give it a go. I've read that most people use Fuse 1 for a dash cam install, is there any reason you decided against that / went for cig lighter fuse?
Sorry I meant Fuse 1 for the 12V accessories socket. Once upon a time we used to refer to it as the cigarette lighter. It's a switched feed so keep the car switched off while you change the fuses around. I didn't see a great connection point for the negative so I drilled and tapped an M4 screw into steel support just inside the dash end panel.
Also the best camera position is to the left and at the bottom of the windscreen sensor enclosure. I found that if placed too high the enclosure blocks the right of the picture. Luckily the dash cam kit came with a 2nd mount and I moved it straight away. I just need to remove the 1st mount from my windscreen without making a mess.

Last edited:
Sorry I meant Fuse 1 for the 12V accessories socket. Once upon a time we used to refer to it as the cigarette lighter. It's a switched feed so keep the car switched off while you change the fuses around. I didn't see a great connection point for the negative so I drilled and tapped an M4 screw into steel support just inside the dash end panel.
Also the best camera position is to the left and at the bottom of the windscreen sensor enclosure. I found that if placed too high the enclosure blocks the right of the picture. Luckily the dash cam kit came with a 2nd mount and I moved it straight away. I just need to remove the 1st mount from my windscreen without making a mess.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated! I'll hopefully get the opportunity to fit it this weekend all being well.

I've noticed the Nextbase fitting kit mentions "FREE Micro 2 & Low Profile Mini Adapters on request" - I don't know what the MG5 requires or if I can fit the standard Nextbase kit contains all I need but time will tell!

Thanks for the info, much appreciated! I'll hopefully get the opportunity to fit it this weekend all being well.

I've noticed the Nextbase fitting kit mentions "FREE Micro 2 & Low Profile Mini Adapters on request" - I don't know what the MG5 requires or if I can fit the standard Nextbase kit contains all I need but time will tell!
The Nextbase fitting kit contains everything you require.

Any photos of where the camera is mounted in the 5LR? My last car was taller and had a larger windscreen so unsure where best to place in the 5 with the massive rear view sensor cluster thingy.

I've not got around to fitting my Nextbase 512GW but found the original box still containing the installation kit.

I've put mine to the left of the rear view gubbins, as high as I could.

Yet to wire it in though, I'm a little nervy on jobs like that as it's towards the edge of my skillset. Though the dangling wire isn't a particular problem so maybe a summertime job.

Any photos of where the camera is mounted in the 5LR? My last car was taller and had a larger windscreen so unsure where best to place in the 5 with the massive rear view sensor cluster thingy.

I've not got around to fitting my Nextbase 512GW but found the original box still containing the installation kit.
I found putting on the left and to the bottom of the huge black casing was best, as it obscures the right of picture any higher, plus it needs to an area covered by the windscreen wipers. It is also hidden from the drivers view behind the rear view mirror so that's in accordance with Nextbase's recommendations. I will try and add some pictures later.

Last edited:

Hi Biffo here’s a picture of my installation of a thinkware camera (the second cable goes to the rear view camera). The cables are hidden within the large plastic housing and the power is from the fuse box behind the dashboard under the steering wheel.
Morris the bear played no part in the installation 😆
96896009-F2BD-448B-97E1-4BD2A47DF98E.jpeg

Hi Biffo here’s a picture of my installation of a thinkware camera (the second cable goes to the rear view camera). The cables are hidden within the large plastic housing and the power is from the fuse box behind the dashboard under the steering wheel.
View attachment 6571
Mine fitted same place 😊

Mine fitted same place 😊
I tried a sticker on the screen for a few miles first as I was concerned it might be a bit low and obscure the vision. But to be honest I soon discounted that, went ahead and fitted the camera, and find it really easy to live with. And the controls are easy to reach which they wouldn’t have been if I’d mounted the camera to the left of the mirror (where it would definitely have been annoying from the passenger’s perspective)

Here is my pictures with a view from the drivers seat to show it doesn't obscure the view. Sorry about them being taken at night.

Attachments

• 20220125_175533.jpg
    20220125_175533.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 168
  • 20220125_175334.jpg
    20220125_175334.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 149
View attachment 6571
Was the cable tucked under the edge of the windscreen module cover or did you pop the cover off?

Was the cable tucked under the edge of the windscreen module cover or did you pop the cover off?
Yes I levered the cover right hand side off and the cables tucked under and up to the headlinin, along behind that , and one was fished to just above the offside tailgate for the rear camera . The other is fitted behind the o/s A-pillar cover down to the fuse box area.

Honestly, I don't even know why I bothered. So I received a text from Halfords to say my camera fitting was booked Sunday, and my camera had arrive for Click and Collect:

Me: Hi, i'm here for my dash cam fitting appointment
Hal: Erm.... a dashcam fitting?
Yes, I'm booked in for today.
Hal: Erm... how?
Me: sorry, what? I purchased a dash cam and selected today as a fitting date?
Hal: Oh, ok. How did you do that?
Me: Sorry come again?! Via your website?!
Hal: Oh. Erm, we can't fit it.
Me: Why?!
Hal: We don't have any fitters.
Me: So why did the site let me book it then?!
Hal: Oh it does that. Been like it for ages.
Me: It lets me book when you don't have fitters?
Hal: Yes.
Me: Refund me the fitting, I'll do it myself. Can I have my camera then.
Hal: You ordered a camera?
Me: Of for f@cks sake, YES I ORDERED IT ON YOUR SITE!
Hal: To come to store?
Me: YES!! I have a click and collect confirmation. It's at your store right now.
Hal: Erm, hold on...

So it took two staff and another long wait to even find the camera.

So, on to Amazon for a fitting kit HERE (hopefully this will be OK for the MG5). Just need to find out which fuse to use!!
Only just read this but it appears to be a typical production of ‘A Comedy of Errors’!

This is mine, just behind the passenger sunshade.

20220121_112302242_iOS.jpg

Cables are fed under the headlining from the right. They connect from the left because I included a little extra so it could be pulled down and viewed whilst still connected.

In my case the lens body is so close to the screen the sensor cover does not appear in the view

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom