MG5 LR global window opening fault

BRIAN7MM

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi guys

Has anyone had this issue with their mg5? I came out this morning to my car still locked but all 4 windows were fully down. Is it possible I've done something with my fob without knowing??

Cheers

Brian

Hi guys

Has anyone had this issue with their mg5? I came out this morning to my car still locked but all 4 windows were fully down. Is it possible I've done something with my fob without knowing??

Cheers

Brian
I’ve noticed that twice - thankfully when it wasn’t raining. It seems to have been when I’ve put the key in my pocket but I can’t replicate it by physically holding the buttons. Interested to see if anyone can explain. Anyone actually read the manual 🤷‍♂️

On my SR if you hold the unlock button after about 5 seconds all the windows will go down , and the reverse for the lock button.

Perhaps in your pocket the button was pressed against your body and opened the windows, in unsure if the self lock will works with the windows opened.

I had this happen at work on a bmw, yes the rain was pouring but the leather seats made it an easy job to wipe down

You should have bought an Excite 😁.
You can buy Faraday pouches that block the RF signal from the key.

With the warm weather I thought I’d open all the windows in my MG5 SR Excite and hope the car would stay reasonably cool before I got in. I checked the manual and it says the car needs to be either in ready or one of the on modes for the windows to work, but I couldn’t get all four windows to open with a long press of the key fob no matter which mode I put the car in. Is there something I’m missing?

In the Exclusive it works with the power off. But I'm not sure about the Excite. :unsure:
Yeah I thought it might be an Exclusive/Excite difference but the manual doesn’t have an asterisk to say it’s a model variable thing

With the warm weather I thought I’d open all the windows in my MG5 SR Excite and hope the car would stay reasonably cool before I got in. I checked the manual and it says the car needs to be either in ready or one of the on modes for the windows to work, but I couldn’t get all four windows to open with a long press of the key fob no matter which mode I put the car in. Is there something I’m missing?
Remember, you need to be within the working range, between the fob and the car, for it to work.
You can check if you are in working range, by giving the fob a quick unlock press.
If it opens the car, you are in range.
Now press and hold down the open button again for about 5 seconds, as the windows start to drop, keep your finger pressed on the fob button, until all the windows are down.
Just reverse the process to get all of the windows to close.
BMW call this feature “Total Closure”.
Nearly all VAG vehicle have the same facility.

Remember, you need to be within the working range, between the fob and the car, for it to work.
You can check if you are in working range, by giving the fob a quick unlock press.
If it opens the car, you are in range.
Now press and hold down the open button again for about 5 seconds, as the windows start to drop, keep your finger pressed on the fob button, until all the windows are down.
Just reverse the process to get all of the windows to close.
BMW call this feature “Total Closure”.
Nearly all VAG vehicle have the same facility.
Exactly the process I’m doing, but after unlocking all I get on the second long press is a solenoid sound from the lock and no movement on the windows. I’m stood right next to the car. Think I need to speak to the dealer!

Exactly the process I’m doing, but after unlocking all I get on the second long press is a solenoid sound from the lock and no movement on the windows. I’m stood right next to the car. Think I need to speak to the dealer!

Thanks for that !.
Long shot, but is their a option in the info settings to enable / disable the function ???.
Sorry, I was a ZS EV Gen 1 and now Gen 2 owner, and neither has the “Total Closure” function 🥲.

I didn't think the Excite could open the windows with the key fob🤔
Think you are right, just dug the manual back out and there is an asterisk next to that section after all, so it’s manually pressing the buttons for each window as I have been

Possibly because all the windows on the Exclusive are one-touch, and not on the Excite?

Think you are right, just dug the manual back out and there is an asterisk next to that section after all, so it’s manually pressing the buttons for each window as I have been
Well at least you have an answer to your question, not the answer you would be liked, but there you go 🥹.

FWIW, you only have to hold the button until the windows start moving.
They will go all the way down or up once they've started moving and you can release the button.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom