MG5 Mystery Faults

Hello,

I found this thread that suggests there is a known problem with a batch of MG 5’s and thought I'd share my experiences of a mystery fault.

Collected my 72 plate MG 5 EV Exclusive (Registered 26 October 22) on 21 December, with just 7 miles on the clock (company car) and drove 30 odd miles home with no problems (normal mode/Kers 2)

Charged overnight at home and did a few short town journeys over the next few days (normal mode/Kers 3), during these journeys the red “check HV system” light came on but would disappear, without any driver action.

Christmas Eve, my 4th day of ownership, I went on a bit more of a run, 30-mile round trip, (normal mode/Kers 3), again the “red check HV” system light came on but would disappear, again without any driver action.

Towards the end of my journey, as I was pulling out onto a roundabout the car went into low power mode, a scary moment as the car following me nearly went into the back of me.

I managed to crawl to a safe place, turned the car off, and then back on, but this did not clear the fault. Luckily I was only a mile from home so crawled back in low power mode.

I contacted MG Assist who sent out the AA. After 2 hours a subcontractor working for the AA arrived, apologising as said there was not a lot he can do apart from check the 12v system and check for fault codes.

When turned on the car dashboard was showing no warming lights (77% charged), the 12-volt system was healthy and there were no fault codes showing.

As this was the first MG EV he had worked on, he thought his diagnostic equipment wasn't as comprehensive as the dealer's and suggested not to drive it as and get it to an MG Dealers

It was now late Christmas Eve afternoon so all dealers are closed until Wednesday when MG Assist will collect and take it to the dealers.

I don't have a lot of confidence in the vehicle with it dropping into low power mode, this is a real shame as for the price the package is good value.

I’ll post an update after the deal has had a look

Northants Rich

Hello,

I found this thread that suggests there is a known problem with a batch of MG 5’s and thought I'd share my experiences of a mystery fault.

Collected my 72 plate MG 5 EV Exclusive (Registered 26 October 22) on 21 December, with just 7 miles on the clock (company car) and drove 30 odd miles home with no problems (normal mode/Kers 2)

Charged overnight at home and did a few short town journeys over the next few days (normal mode/Kers 3), during these journeys the red “check HV system” light came on but would disappear, without any driver action.

Christmas Eve, my 4th day of ownership, I went on a bit more of a run, 30-mile round trip, (normal mode/Kers 3), again the “red check HV” system light came on but would disappear, again without any driver action.

Towards the end of my journey, as I was pulling out onto a roundabout the car went into low power mode, a scary moment as the car following me nearly went into the back of me.

I managed to crawl to a safe place, turned the car off, and then back on, but this did not clear the fault. Luckily I was only a mile from home so crawled back in low power mode.

I contacted MG Assist who sent out the AA. After 2 hours a subcontractor working for the AA arrived, apologising as said there was not a lot he can do apart from check the 12v system and check for fault codes.

When turned on the car dashboard was showing no warming lights (77% charged), the 12-volt system was healthy and there were no fault codes showing.

As this was the first MG EV he had worked on, he thought his diagnostic equipment wasn't as comprehensive as the dealer's and suggested not to drive it as and get it to an MG Dealers

It was now late Christmas Eve afternoon so all dealers are closed until Wednesday when MG Assist will collect and take it to the dealers.

I don't have a lot of confidence in the vehicle with it dropping into low power mode, this is a real shame as for the price the package is good value.

Northants Rich
Hi buddy, yes few of us all having this problem. Supposedly a patch/software update coming soon to solve this problem.

I’m loosing confidence in my car and also MG. They don’t seem to be very helpful. It’s very frustrating. Let us know how you get on.

Hello,

Northants Rich
Thanks for sharing Rich and sorry to hear you going through this. However thank you for sharing as it makes it a lot easier for all of us when it comes to conversations with MG, knowing that others are going through this, especially when MG dealerships all seem to go "huh, not seen this before"....

Hope you get a good resolution

Thanks for sharing Rich and sorry to hear you going through this. However thank you for sharing as it makes it a lot easier for all of us when it comes to conversations with MG, knowing that others are going through this, especially when MG dealerships all seem to go "huh, not seen this before"....

Hope you get a good resolution
All the times mine has turtled so far turning it off getting out, locking the car and waiting for it to shut down has reset it.

I asked about getting mine collected to goto a dealer and was told MG don’t consider it a safety issue and therefore mg assist won’t arrange a transport.

I have been in touch with BBC Watchdog re this problem , suggest you all do the same , maybe if enough of us email them we can get some reputational leverage from the BBC.

Thanks Squidder, the AA re-turned today with the latest MG diagnostic software update.

The AA ran a check but no fault codes were found and also none popped up on a test drive. They suggested I take it to my local dealer for them to investigate, but did say in his experience MG is reluctant to take cars for fault finding. I’ll be on the phone with MG tomorrow morning when they re-open.

Dragon2611 - Thanks for the advice on how to clear the problem, is the shutdown of the car instant after it's been locked, or do you wait a few minutes? As this is a company car I think we have a few others on the fleet, so will check in with our transport team on my return to work to see if others are having the same issues.

HappyExistence - I will do that, I assume you completed this online form in the link below?

Send your story to Watchdog

Northants Rich

Thanks Squidder, the AA re-turned today with the latest MG diagnostic software update.

The AA ran a check but no fault codes were found and also none popped up on a test drive. They suggested I take it to my local dealer for them to investigate, but did say in his experience MG is reluctant to take cars for fault finding. I’ll be on the phone with MG tomorrow morning when they re-open.

Dragon2611 - Thanks for the advice on how to clear the problem, is the shutdown of the car instant after it's been locked, or do you wait a few minutes? As this is a company car I think we have a few others on the fleet, so will check in with our transport team on my return to work to see if others are having the same issues.

HappyExistence - I will do that, I assume you completed this online form in the link below?

Send your story to Watchdog

Northants Rich
I had to wait a few minutes, Locking it and sitting it in didn't work for me what seemed to work is getting out locking it leaving it 30+ secs or so and then unlocking it.

I'm not sure if it has to stop detecting the key or something, or I just got lucky.

I had to wait a few minutes, Locking it and sitting it in didn't work for me what seemed to work is getting out locking it leaving it 30+ secs or so and then unlocking it.

I'm not sure if it has to stop detecting the key or something, or I just got lucky.
I've had some joy of getting out, locking BUT making sure I turned off my phone's Bluetooth, otherwise it stayed connected, seemingly keeping some part of the 12v system active

To update my original post

Following the AA's visit yesterday (27th) each time I've used the car since their visit the red “check HV system” light has come on for a few seconds, but I have avoided the low power mode🤞

I rang my local dealer (Corby), and they can not look at it until 16 January, as their technician is currently being trained.

I then rang the Leicester dealer and the earliest they can get the car booked in for a check is the 5th January.

I'll continue to use the car, but I'm anxious about dropping into low-power mode and I'm finding myself picking my routes to minimise the risk should it occur.

Disappointed MG have released a car with a known issue

Thanks for the tips on shutting down the car

Northants Rich

MG 5 EV check HV system

Mines back in the garage for them to send the diag report over to MG HQ and then hopefully get a software fix. Was expecting another 5 as the courtesy car (Which is what they originally said when I booked it in) but ended up with a facelift ZS EV (SR Trophy spec I think).

Other than whatever they'd used to clean the windscreen being awful and leaving smeers everywhere it seems quite nice, and I'm guessing it's their demonstrator as it had under 150miles on the clock.

They did say they're not sure how long mine will be in for as it depends on how quickly MG/SIAC China respond.

Edit: The ZS is probably SE trim seems even that gets 360 cameras. Seems nice enough though although I prefer the estate form factor of the 5 over it

Last edited:
Done a 125 mile trip today, 3 x check HV battery warnings and one limp mode.
Don‘t see the point in taking it to a dealership at present as no one has yet had the fault fixed.
Roll on the software update !

No updates, but drove 1000 miles round Europe over Xmas, mostly fast charging. Had turtle mode once, just ten miles from home on the motorway, no where safe to pull over, so kept driving towards the next exit, but the fault had cleared before I stopped. Had a number of 'check HV battery' faults, but not as many as normal. Maybe all the charging/discharging had an effect.

Interestingly the range efficiency was pretty poor 3.0mpkwh. I'm putting it down to being fully loaded and cold weather.

No updates, but drove 1000 miles round Europe over Xmas, mostly fast charging. Had turtle mode once, just ten miles from home on the motorway, no where safe to pull over, so kept driving towards the next exit, but the fault had cleared before I stopped. Had a number of 'check HV battery' faults, but not as many as normal. Maybe all the charging/discharging had an effect.

Interestingly the range efficiency was pretty poor 3.0mpkwh. I'm putting it down to being fully loaded and cold weather.
Was that fast charging or Rapid charging ? Just for info in case relevant.

I did wonder if the frequency of them is related to the SOC at all

Was that fast charging or Rapid charging ? Just for info in case relevant.
Mostly 50-65 kw on 350kw ccs from ionity and fastened. For reference, I had a bit of a nose at other cars charge sessions at the same chargers, they were in the same ball park charge rate.

I wouldn't read into it too much, just a feeling, I've not been counting or keeping notes.
It did seem to be doing it less between 50-80% but I’d not driven it enough in that SOC bracket to be sure.

Mostly because the garage charged it before giving it back last time and once it turtled again I decided not to drive it.

Happy new year guys… how are you all getting on? I’ve been in touch with Head MG today and they’ve told me a software update is now available and to book in…. but when I’ve been in contact with the local dealership they tell me they haven’t got anything from them and they can’t touch my car. Nothing they can do.

This seems to be getting a little bit of a joke now.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom