MG5 Mystery Faults

Happy new year guys… how are you all getting on? I’ve been in touch with Head MG today and they’ve told me a software update is now available and to book in…. but when I’ve been in contact with the local dealership they tell me they haven’t got anything from them and they can’t touch my car. Nothing they can do.

This seems to be getting a little bit of a joke now.
Interesting news! How did you get this info from head MG? Any time I've tried to speak with them, they brush me off saying I can only get info through my dealership.

Interesting news! How did you get this info from head MG? Any time I've tried to speak with them, they brush me off saying I can only get info through my dealership.
Through email this morning from head MG. I’ve been really pushing and trying my hardest but still going round in circles.

Mine has been updated just now, planning to pick it up tomorrow the garage said it was OK when they test drove it, I said it seems more likely to do it at high SOC so they're going to charge it to tonight and then give it another test in the morning.

When I spoke to them earlier this afternoon they were still waiting on MG so it looks like it's within the last hour or 2 that the update was made available to them.

Mine has been updated just now, planning to pick it up tomorrow the garage said it was OK when they test drove it, I said it seems more likely to do it at high SOC so they're going to charge it to tonight and then give it another test in the morning.

When I spoke to them earlier this afternoon they were still waiting on MG so it looks like it's within the last hour or 2 that the update was made available to them.
Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Please will you keep us updated on how you get on with the car and the update, I’ve got to wait for my local MG to call me back now.

Which email address did you use?
[email protected]

Gary Smart is dealing with me. He’s just emailed local MG requesting they book me in urgently for the update.

Head MG quoted this….

“There is a software patch available and this needs to be updated.
It is essential that a Service Now case is opened so that they can guide you through the process.”

Morning all
Thanks for the update, I’ve just emailed them too, pressing for an urgent response.

So Picked my car up from the dealer, got about a mile and a half up the road and...

Stopped at a coffee shop for Lunch. (Had you going there didn't I?)

Drove home from there, ~10Mi or so over a mixture of roads varying between 20-70Mph speed limits and a fair bit of stop/start traffic. No "Check HV Battery" Warnings to be seen, I'd want to drive the car some more before I'm confident it's definitely fixed but I'm cautiously optimistic that the software update has sorted it.

So Picked my car up from the dealer, got about a mile and a half up the road and...

Stopped at a coffee shop for Lunch. (Had you going there didn't I?)

Drove home from there, ~10Mi or so over a mixture of roads varying between 20-70Mph speed limits and a fair bit of stop/start traffic. No "Check HV Battery" Warnings to be seen, I'd want to drive the car some more before I'm confident it's definitely fixed but I'm cautiously optimistic that the software update has sorted it.
Hahaha my heart sunk at the beginning 🤣

I can’t wait till mines sorted. I’m covering a lot of miles as mines a taxi so I’ll soon let you know how it’s going with me when they sort it.

I’m happy that you potentially have it sorted. Fingered crossed for you and us all…. But like you say I’m also very wary atm.

Hahaha my heart sunk at the beginning 🤣

I can’t wait till mines sorted. I’m covering a lot of miles as mines a taxi so I’ll soon let you know how it’s going with me when they sort it.

I’m happy that you potentially have it sorted. Fingered crossed for you and us all…. But like you say I’m also very wary atm.
Did they mention anything as to why we’ve been experiencing this problem?

Did they mention anything as to why we’ve been experiencing this problem?
Nope said very little to be honest, just that it had been ok on their test drive this morning and told me the SOC (Probably because I told them the SOC of the ZS i'd just handed back although that was mostly so they knew it didn't need charging)

Edit:

Drove it a bit more tonight, so far so good…

Last edited:
Might be time for me to ring my dealership and find out!
Thanks for the updates dragon2611. My heart did sink at that first sentence. Well Played

To close off my post from Christmas Eve.

Took my car to the dealers yesterday, and they identified the issue as a loose cable that should have been checked as part of the PDI by the supplying dealer, they also cleared all the fault codes but the service desk was a bit vague if they updated the software.

However they wanted to charge £120 to fix the cable as it was not a warranty issue, I asked them to speak to the supplying dealer in Motherwell, but they let me take the car so assume sorted.

So far driven over 100 miles/3 journeys, with no warning lights or low-power mode.

Mine is a company car, of the 10 others collected at the same time, this has been the only one with issues

Northants Rich

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom