MG5 owners only. Post on here what you think of the car.

Very happy with ours so far. Great value and perfect family/pet EV. Compared to 'next price bracket' up it's a no-brainer IMHO. Love keyless entry - especially in cold weather, to be able to just open the boot for shopping is v handy. Data USB location is a bit clunky - best solution I've found is to put the phone upside down in the pouch on the drivers left to stop the cable getting in the way. It's a very nice ride and KERS makes it feel very pleasurable to drive.

Limited miles so far, but it’s been great. Kids love it and have loads of space. Boot is big enough, although at some point I plan to put in a false floor to store my running gear underneath and give a flatter load for the day to day. All in all seems like a great family car so far.

Last edited:
Yep. Same. It does exactly what it's supposed to do, with no fuss. There's nothing to post really as nothing has gone wrong. It's a decent estate car that drives beautifully, and that's all there is to say really.

I'm really happy with my MG5. It too is the best car I've had.

I do have some caveats:

1. The headlights are a step back for me. Going from xenon hid headlights which were brighter and had the ability to switch sides when driving abroad. Projector headlights were a definite step back. Projector headlights were a new thing a couple of decades ago.
  2. The autohold seems a bit basic. The break pedal staying down seems a bit cheap and clunky. My old passat's autohold feature would let the foot break return to it's natural position and turn off the break lights.
  3. The infotainment system is just too slow. This is a software issue so can be fixed should MG wish it. Android Auto can be buggy but this may not be MG's fault.
  4. Interior storage is poor. The cubby holes and door pockets are too small. It's missing the little draws and storage compartments similar estates would have.

I really like the MG5 and knew what I was buying but coming from my last two cars (Mondeo estates with Titanium X trim) the things I've given up are listed below.

Some of these could have been included in the Exclusive (I'd have paid a bit more) and some are just nice to have ...

Decent auto-levelling LED headlights with cornering movement.
Auto-dip headlights
Proper speed limiter
Speed/traffic sign warnings (i.e. front camera)
Lane detect
Auto parking
Front parking sensors
Three heated seat settings
Heated steering wheel
Heated windscreen (but MG5 warms up quickly)
Rear window heater would free the wiper - the MG5 doesn't but has the radio aerial there!
Level load bay
Seats going flat
Electric passenger seat
Seat position memory
Usable roof bars!
Sat nav that doesn't crash when trying to update.

I echo the above. Really great car that just happens to be an EV. I came from a Kia Ceed SW GT; although I will miss the low-slung sportiness (the car's, not mine) I have decided to embrace the positives. The extra height makes entry and egress easier, I have more ground clearance than I have had in years and no more grounding the front spoiler on kerbs. I am even free of the sickening sound of alloys grinding against the kerb. Do miss the rear courtesy light; I changed the interior lights to LED which has helped, along with the headlights, brake and reversing lights.

I echo the above. Really great car that just happens to be an EV. I came from a Kia Ceed SW GT; although I will miss the low-slung sportiness (the car's, not mine) I have decided to embrace the positives. The extra height makes entry and egress easier, I have more ground clearance than I have had in years and no more grounding the front spoiler on kerbs. I am even free of the sickening sound of alloys grinding against the kerb. Do miss the rear courtesy light; I changed the interior lights to LED which has helped, along with the headlights, brake and reversing lights.
Yes the alloys. My last car had 18" alloys. They looked great but I spent half my life worrying about curbing them. I can relax now.

I really enjoy mine, first new car I've had and my first ev too and loving it so far. It's a pleasure to drive around town, I enjoy being quick off the mark at lights. Had a few icy mornings lately and I like how quick the car is to warm up and clear the windscreen. I thought keyless entry was an unnecessary novelty before purchase but it's surprisingly handy when you are carrying stuff.

I am sensing that a bigger percentage of owners like their MG 5 than like the ZS ? Perhaps to do with the mileage update going wrong...
Agreed, mine (ZS EV) has been perfect for the first 14,600 miles...first service next week.

Can you give details of the bulbs you changed and how you did it?

Great car, I gave up an E250 and an A6 moving to my first eV. I am very happy with this car.

Our 3rd EV 3,000 miles and so far very pleased. Plenty of room in the back for dogs. I went for the Excite partly to avoid roof rails. I've had them before on other estates (Peugeot 405 and N reg Golf). All they did was catch crosswinds and generate wind noise so not needing a roof rack or box I prefer not to have them.

Can you give details of the bulbs you changed and how you did it?
Wasn't difficult. I followed the instructions in the handbook and got the bulbs off Amazon. I know there were various recommendations on here and Facebook but I just went off-piste and purchased what I fancied. The reversing lights definitely needed improving, the brake lights were more for reliability; the headlights as fitted were ok but I had got used to LEDs. I am not sure they are any brighter but they are whiter. Again it was more for reliability, although as it turned out, they were much easier to change than the Kia, mainly because there was much more room to work in.

Hi Paul. Which led headlights did you get? Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210216_001434_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210216_001434_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 323
Limited miles so far, but it’s been great. Kids love it and have loads of space. Boot is big enough, although at some point I plan to put in a false floor to store my running gear underneath and give a flatter load for the day to day. All in all seems like a great family car so far.
That’s a great idea 🤔👍🏽

I did like it, didn’t like it, did, didn’t until I realised it’s the infrastructure (at the moment) I don’t like. Now I am getting there with it I really do like it....a lot, it’s quirky, meets all my daily needs and is saving me a fortune, what’s not to like??? 🤔😊😊

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom