MG5 - phone holder suggestions

Angelo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
What does everyone use for a phone holder in the 5?
The car lacks a suitable place for keeping phones while plugged in to the car

I tried keeping mine next to my calf in the little pocket either side of the dash but found it kept getting very hot
There isn't much room in front of the heater controls

The ideal place would be behind the left indicator stalk with one of the vent mounts
Like this
Lamicall Car Phone Holder, Universal Vent Mount - 360 Rotating Air Vent Cradle Stand for iPhone 13, 13 Pro, 12 Pro Max Mini, 11 Pro, Xs Max, XR, X, 8, 7, Samsung S10 S9, Huawei, Mobile Phones - Black Amazon product ASIN B07GQGX855
However the vent arms seem quite flimsy

Trying to avoid anything magnetic as I use wireless charging

1644080693891.png

I just got an email from my pals at AliExpress which happened to include something which may be of use. There are a few different ads for the same item so not sure which is cheapest. The front page says it doesn't ship to my location but when I click to order it gives me a shipping price - so all in these come to about £11.

NB Doesn't mention i5 in any form...

I've given up on Ali-Express after receiving 1 damaged item, one absolute rubbish sunshade and two totally different items from the ones I ordered. :confused:
Cheap is sometimes cheap and nasty.

I've used them a lot over the years, mainly for computer and home automation bits, and never had much of a problem with them. Got a few bits for the motor and they were OK, Quality wasn't great on the door sill protectors but was about all I expected for pennies.
They seem to have got a bit mroe pricey but I think that's because they now charge VAT at point of sale, which I used to mostly evade... - and also more people here know about them...

I plug in and use the slot I presumed made for this by your left knee.
Me too! I found a short right angle usb cable which can be plugged in either way to allow for the correct orientation of the right angle(right angle on usb that plugs into car). It works perfectly. The only downside is sometimes you forget your phone.

Me too! I found a short right angle usb cable which can be plugged in either way to allow for the correct orientation of the right angle(right angle on usb that plugs into car). It works perfectly. The only downside is sometimes you forget your phone.
Here is where I found cable if anyone is interested.
mcdodo LED 90 Degree Charger cable Right Angle USB Charging Cable Data Sync Zinc Alloy Nylon Anti-Bend Anti-Fraktur Titan Power Cable Compatible with Phone X S 8 7 6 Plus Pad Pod (1.6FT) Amazon product ASIN B081X7257B

Here is where I found cable if anyone is interested.
mcdodo LED 90 Degree Charger cable Right Angle USB Charging Cable Data Sync Zinc Alloy Nylon Anti-Bend Anti-Fraktur Titan Power Cable Compatible with Phone X S 8 7 6 Plus Pad Pod (1.6FT) Amazon product ASIN B081X7257B
I know it is for iPhone but I am sure they do one for other usb connections.

Use the one in MG5 next to left Knee never had a problem.
Only downside as someone else has said It is easy to forget to take phone with you

Use the one in MG5 next to left Knee never had a problem.
Only downside as someone else has said It is easy to forget to take phone with you
Sadly the Fold 3 doesn't fit in there, however the AA Wireless unit is perfrct and means phone can stay in pocket.

I use the pocket by the left knee too - seems the most logical place.
My main moan is just that Android Auto sometimes doesn't activate. Although this happens less now I have a good cable of the right sort of length - 50cm is about right - if you need a USB-C cable this is good.
Amazon product ASIN B07V7YYGV2

My main moan is just that Android Auto sometimes doesn't activate. Although this happens less now I have a good cable of the right sort of length - 50cm is about right - if you need a USB-C cable this is good.
Does this cable connect to Android Auto OK, I have no end of issues with Cable not good, use an official Android cable, whatever that is! I think I have one in five cables that work.

I've been using a similar cable for iPhone for a while now - sometimes use the pocket at my knee or the small space next to cup holders - 50cm length seems perfect.

Amazon product ASIN B07NV6VRK9

Does this cable connect to Android Auto OK, I have no end of issues with Cable not good, use an official Android cable, whatever that is! I think I have one in five cables that work.
Yeah - it's been pretty reliable since I started using it. Still get the odd issue though. I'm not convinced it's only the cable that causes issues - little glitches with the software I reckon

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom