MG5 Pre facelift (LR) tyre choices

Bogrole

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5

I am looking at 2 new tyres (I bought the car as an ex domonstrator with 2000 miles on), now at 16,000 the fronts need replacing, on inspection, rears are bridgestone, fronts are an eco brand. I do understand front does all driving and steering and will wear out quicker I must have been unlucky picking up a demonstrator with 2 new tyres too, mg ZS EV on the other hand is still very healthy with 20,000 plus on original tyres.

I am looking for recomendations before I jump and change, my trips tend to be A roads and B roads to work, so good grip is a plus, as is nice ride. They are a standard size at 205/60 r16.

If anyone knows of a good replacement deal (I am i South Wales) then please let me know.

Even if someone has upgraded to new wheel size and have the old ones with tyres I may be interested.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• deleteme.jpg
    deleteme.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 69
If you put your reg. no. and postcode into Tyre Shopper it will show a wide range of suitable tyres. I think I'd go for the Bridgestone, as originally fitted, as it has A-rating for both rolling resistance and wet-grip. The noise rating is OK, too.

I put Hankook Ventus Prime on mine . Quiet A rated rolling resistance , handle well in the valleys . Longevity ? time will tell
That's interesting. When I was just idly looking at tyres, a while ago, I thought the Hankooks looked promising, particularly in view of the noise rating. I notice that Tyre Shopper no longer offer them. I'll be interested to hear how they wear, as my secondhand MG5 had a couple of cheapo tyres fitted on the front when I bought it. It had about 20k miles on it, when I bought it, so I guess that is the benchmark for Bridgestones.

Quite a few members sing the praises of All Season tyres.

Seems a reasonable price ( as long as it's not with KwikFit ) . The Hankooks are £121 with Halfords so a fair bit dearer . What sold it for me though is the decibel rating of 67Db :)
Are they noticeably quieter than the Bridgestones?

Michelin Primacy IVs all round now but initially just the front ones. The seems to last longer than the original Bridgestones

I am looking at 2 new tyres (I bought the car as an ex domonstrator with 2000 miles on), now at 16,000 the fronts need replacing, on inspection, rears are bridgestone, fronts are an eco brand. I do understand front does all driving and steering and will wear out quicker I must have been unlucky picking up a demonstrator with 2 new tyres too, mg ZS EV on the other hand is still very healthy with 20,000 plus on original tyres.

I am looking for recomendations before I jump and change, my trips tend to be A roads and B roads to work, so good grip is a plus, as is nice ride. They are a standard size at 205/60 r16.

If anyone knows of a good replacement deal (I am i South Wales) then please let me know.

Even if someone has upgraded to new wheel size and have the old ones with tyres I may be interested.

Thanks in advance.
I got 33,000 out of mine.I did a lot of checking websites. Ended up with Yokohama Blue Earth GT with a higher speed rating. Better grip than the original Bridgestone and less roll on the corners and roundabouts. Had them on for nearly 5k miles znd very appy with them. £110 + vat

Thanks in advance.
You should have got more miles out of the Bridgestones. I got about 30k out of mine. Maybe they were brutalised a bit as a demonstrator. I changed to Michelin (eco version as they seem to have lowest emissions). I have now done 50k. Rears still fine.

Thanks in advance.
For interest that does seem a high mileage for tyres, I would expect 20,000 minimum. Thete is a youtuber using our version as a van for electric car repairing ( so pretty loaded) and had achieved 40,000 plus miles on 1st set of tyres.
If that is your norm, maybe worth swapping corners back/ front to get more life.

Sorry to butt in, but...

Last edited by a moderator:
My original SR has Bridgestones, now on 28.5k miles, looks like it might need 4 new ones for its first MOT in a couple of months. Sounds like you were very unlucky with the duff ones fitted on front - I wonder why they changed them before selling to you.

Still at least now you wont be forking out for 4 every time they wear out. My rears are slightly less worn than front, but not far behind so I'll prob do all 4.

@Tony Cima do you mean you changed the front bridgestone to michelin at 30k and the original rear Bridgestones have done 50k - that seems very good. If the Michelins have now done 20k how are the holding up - do you anticipate getting more than the price difference in miles?

Hi
I had to change the tyres on my MG5 at 13K!! I owned the car from new. I have always been very light on tyre wear so was taken aback when I discovered the wear rate.
I did note that the tread depth when new was around 6.3 mm and 6.4 mm on the front which is less than I would have expected. The car has been driven in mainly Eco and Ker3 modes and I drive gently. Most of the driving is up and down gradients on A and B roads in Ceredigion! I have concluded that the original Bridgestone tyres to be useless and was quite please to get rid of them. My Dealer fitted Uniroyal Sharkskin technology tyres (£93 each) They are a vast improvement on grip and do not appear to have affected the range. I have concluded that Kers must have contributed to tyre wear.
Rotating front and rear tyres is a problem due to the pressure sensors so will just get use to swapping axel sets out. The rear tyres sadly look like lasting for at least 30K miles

The car has been driven in mainly Eco and Ker3 modes and I drive gently. Most of the driving is up and down gradients on A and B roads in Ceredigion!
Leads an almost identical life to mine.

I got mine with over 20k miles on the clock. The dealer had changed the front tyres for some cheapo Runway brand, but 3000 miles later I can't see any discernible wear. The original rear Bridgestones are remarkably good, too.

I think it will be a while before I have to put my hand in my pocket, barring any road damage. Luckily the roads are remarkably good, here, certainly compared to what were rapidly becoming cart tracks that I left in Devon.

My original Bridgestones did 22k miles on the front. Rears are still ok. Fitted Verstein Quatrac Winters to the front this week. Feel very grippy. £219 the pair fitted.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom