MG5 Roof rails decorative only

Just a thought. Does anyone know if there is a model of the Roewe equivalent that is fitted with roof rails and, if so, what these are rated at?

No just a brother.
ugly GIF
Just thought Kithmo, Have I seen him on the pod cast? :giggle:

Last edited:
Crikey. That's strange. I went on holiday with our MG5 demonstator, and had a fully loaded roof box on top! Nothing fell off, or appeared insecure.
Crikey. That's strange. I went on holiday with our MG5 demonstator, and had a fully loaded roof box on top! Nothing fell off, or appeared insecure.
😂😂😂👍

Miles do you think it would be possible to remove them and fit universal roofbars in there place

It does. But where does that leave people who choose to ignore the advice and use them anyway?

Has there been a new development?
New MG5 with roof bars that will take a load coming to Europe in October, with a major facelift, you can check the spec. on the posts about it, I'm not sure about The UK release date if it eventualy comes here.

New MG5 with roof bars that will take a load coming to Europe in October, with a major facelift, you can check the spec. on the posts about it, I'm not sure about The UK release date if it eventually comes here.

New MG5 with roof bars that will take a load coming to Europe in October, with a major facelift, you can check the spec. on the posts about it, I'm not sure about The UK release date if it eventualy comes here.
Hopefully it doesn't mean they will just ignore the issue with the current model.
Weren't they in the process of getting them approved?
Perhaps this is something the podcast could discuss on Monday.

Hopefully it doesn't mean they will just ignore the issue with the current model.
Weren't they in the process of getting them approved?
Perhaps this is something the podcast could discuss on Monday.
I wonder if these would fit the MG5

Hi all the Consumer Association Which have told me yesterday that they are going to use something call A Right Of Reply to the DVSA with regard to the answer they sent out last week not sure what this means, but the DVSA did say in their mail to me that the manufacturer had responded and was in the process of addressing this issue see #230 for their reply plus what I my response to it.

I have spoken to my dealer today and they contacted MG and came back to me with there is a possible solution that may come soon that’s about all I know for the moment.

So I have today excepted an MG5 exclusive for delivery late next week but will not give up pursuing this issue until it gets sorted one way or the other MG must
Fix or Remove these decorative rails.

With regard to the facelift one that’s turned up in the last week or two looks very nice especially as Stuart Wright as commented in that deep Red colour but I have to say spoke with the dealer today and they can’t see it arriving this year anyway but didn’t say it won’t we will see and I do remember this 5 model had a roof rail loading capacity when it first came so for me I don’t particularly trust MG specifications sheets that much anymore at all but time will tell it always does.
Les

Last edited:
Just a thought. Does anyone know if there is a model of the Roewe equivalent that is fitted with roof rails and, if so, what these are rated at?
Yes the i5 ev Roewe has the same rails fitted but don’t know of any load rating for them not that I haven’t tried to find out months ago
Also in your other post #241 before this one about kicking the issue into the long grass Well that is not the case yesterday you will fine I placed a update about this issue lower down in this thread #251
Les

Hi all the Consumer Association Which have told me yesterday that they are going to use something call A Right Of Reply to the DVSA with regard to the answer they sent out last week not sure what this means, but the DVSA did say in their mail to me that the manufacturer had responded and was in the process of addressing this issue see #230 for their reply plus what I my response to it.

I have spoken to my dealer today and they contacted MG and came back to me with there is a possible solution that may come soon that’s about all I know for the moment.

So I have today excepted an MG5 exclusive for delivery late next week but will not give up pursuing this issue until it gets sorted one way or the other MG must
Fix or Remove these decorative rails.

With regard to the facelift one that’s turned up in the last week or two looks very nice especially as Stuart Wright as commented in that deep Red colour but I have to say spoke with the dealer today and they can’t see it arriving this year anyway but didn’t say it won’t we will see and I do remember this 5 model had a roof rail loading capacity when it first came so for me I don’t particularly trust MG specifications sheets that much anymore at all but time will tell it always does.
Les
Your choice Les, but I don't believe MG dealers they are about as truthful as the manufacturer.
Their goal is sales by whatever means and possibly harder as the margins low.
I know the same goes for many dealers but there is history with MG re specs, advertising, dealer knowledge or lack of!

Your choice Les, but I don't believe MG dealers they are about as truthful as the manufacturer.
I know the same goes for many dealers but there is history with MG re specs, advertising, dealer knowledge or lack of!
My take on why a lot of MG dealers aren't very good... For the last few years, until recently a lot of traditional MG dealers have been used to selling budget brand petrol cars to a lower demographic of buyer. These buyers are more forgiving of quality and service issues due to the lower pricing. Then all of a sudden they are selling a high percentage of much higher priced EV cars to a far more demanding, wealthier, knowledeable, early adopter crowd. These new buyers on the whole don't take kindly to general dealer BS that the petrol crowd have always been given, as they often know far more than dealer sales staff about the cars. To make matters worse, almost none of these dealers or their technical staff know anything at all about EV's. Most servicing staff will be time served mechanics with zero electrical engineering background. No wonder they're generally a bit shoddy, it almost makes you feel sorry for them.

Back on topic... I'd bet my bottom dollar the 5's roof rails are perfectly safe for a 75kg load and the new model that will have this rating uses unchanged rails. MG have cocked up by not bothering to get the homologation signed off properly, and tried to get away with it by fudging the issue and digging themselves a bigger and bigger hole, instead of just spending the money and getting it done!

Richie I couldn’t agree more

... I have spoken to my dealer today and they contacted MG and came back to me with there is a possible solution that may come soon that’s about all I know for the moment......
Thanks Les. I don't suppose they quantified "possible" "may" or "soon". I fear that, without that, it's more or less down there with "don't call us: we'll call you".

Thanks Les. I don't suppose they quantified "possible" "may" or "soon". I fear that, without that, it's more or less down there with "don't call us: we'll call you".
Your very right and I agree with what you are saying, and also with what Richie said yesterday, you can’t trust a lot of what MG dealers say, as for MG motors UK they have done nothing only try unsuccessfully to cover up what could have become a very serious issue and could still be so in the future if they do nothing about it.

Putting a statement that the Roof rails are decorative only and must not be loaded in an unrelated page about loading the vehicle 62 not on 181 was a get out of jail card for MG and they thought they would get away with it if something went wrong but when I highlighted it 6th November last as you know pictures where changed and accessories listed removed from the official brochures by MG although you can still to this day find these on the web if you look, as we all know many many times people don’t open let alone read instructions before they use an item this also applies to cars.

For a lot of the dealerships it’s has been pointed out here their main objective is sales and that maybe true, but I do think some of the dealers are trying to do what ever they can and that’s not just on the roof rails issue not much the dealers can do about that until MG UK sort the issue out.

I said back in November when I first started on this track I spoke to several dealers about that issue and some of them had no idea what the hell I was talking about showing me brochures with a bike on top and saying we can sell you the correct equipment to do that put Items on the roof, then when I
pointed out what was written in the vehicles official owners handbook, there was shock horror and unbelieve in what they where been shown on page 62 the point being some dealers do have sales knowledge only and some of them don’t even read up about what they are selling if I was in sales I would want to know everything about what I was selling but that just me.

You can read on this and other forums about issues with BEVs examples and lots of posts about the BMS on the ZS one dealer who we know about Miles Roberts from Chorley Group as spent a lot of time and effort putting into laymen’s terms what the issues are with that problem as far as he can, and that is an example of a dealership doing what it can. I have my car coming from Grenson in Crewe they have been very helpful so far, granted only on a sales aspect so far but they do seem to care and give you a decent response when you ask a question but time will tell what service is like when I get the car in a few weeks.

So there is good and bad in everything I feel the dealers have not been given enough support at times by the management of MG UK and some of the dealers are like us still on a learning curve but I hope it is a very quick one or MG motors will become like BMC when it was the parent company obsolete.

Last edited:
Hi Fluffkins les here yesterday you asked a question Post #242
Well this morning a guy who lives in China put a post out about the prices of the newly advertised MG5 which as yet is still to come here so I have written to him to ask as he lives in China could it be possible that he knows or could find out for us if the Roewe Ei5 has a weight rating in China if indeed they are useable over there so hopefully we might get the answer to your question in more detail I also would like to know I have tried in the passed but not found out as I told you yesterday so fingers crossed I’ve posted below what I have written to him
Les

Hi hello EricGao thank you for your post I see from your profile that you are in China so could you please help with a question that as been put on the thread for the MG5 decorative RoofRail issue, the question was, what is the load permited on the roof rails on the Roewe Ei5.
Now I don’t mean the new one that pictures and prices of have just been released for in the last week or two for but the model that it will replace which I think SAIC have been selling as the Roewe Ei5 in China for around 3/4 years this is the car that was rebadged and is sold in the UK as the MG5 if you could help with this it would be great many thanks in advance
Les Burrows on behalf of the forum.

Hi Fluffkins les here yesterday you asked a question Post #242
Well this morning a guy who lives in China put a post out about the prices of the newly advertised MG5 which as yet is still to come here so I have written to him to ask as he lives in China could it be possible that he knows or could find out for us if the Roewe Ei5 has a weight rating in China if indeed they are useable over there so hopefully we might get the answer to your question in more detail I also would like to know I have tried in the passed but not found out as I told you yesterday so fingers crossed I’ve posted below what I have written to him
Les

Hi hello EricGao thank you for your post I see from your profile that you are in China so could you please help with a question that as been put on the thread for the MG5 decorative RoofRail issue, the question was, what is the load permited on the roof rails on the Roewe Ei5.
Now I don’t mean the new one that pictures and prices of have just been released for in the last week or two for but the model that it will replace which I think SAIC have been selling as the Roewe Ei5 in China for around 3/4 years this is the car that was rebadged and is sold in the UK as the MG5 if you could help with this it would be great many thanks in advance
Les Burrows on behalf of the forum.
Thanks for doing that. Let's see what our chum replies with.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom