MG5 Roof rails decorative only

The hope for 75Kg or more is a bit moot since many alloy cross bars have a max limit of 75Kg anyway.... And 75Kg is 165lbs or roughly 12 Stone... Would you really want to lift that up on to your roof bars?

I plan to hire an ICE car for the very seldom long journeys I could need to make.
There are some chargers out there. It might be less expensive and more convenient to stop than to hire a car.

Les, what exactly were you trying to achieve by sending this letter?
With MG still working on a solution to the roof rail issue, I think you've been premature.
I think you should have waited until there was an official update from MG.
But what this letter has done is start a sh*tstorm against the MG5 and MG. One which will not go away if MG later certify the roof rails as good for a certain load. Once the newspapers get hold of a story and sensationalise it (because, of course, they are more interested in making money than telling the truth), there will be no unringing of this bell.
I agree that MG have really dropped the ball if the roof rail is only decorative. But let's get this in to perspective. For many/most people, the roof rails are decorative. I had an Audi a4 Avant with roof rails for years and I never even knew (until recently) that they can be used for carrying loads.
I suspect that most people don't care about using the roof rails (with the help of a statistics expert, I have created three polls to gauge the thoughts of our community so we have a better idea), yet these news stories will likely tarnish the MG5 and possibly the MG brand in peoples' minds.

I will say that if they are decorative only, MG should remove them altogether as they are redundant weight and pointless production cost.
I think that what you have done here is potentially very damaging to the MG5 and the MG brand. I'm not sure it was the fairest thing to do. At least until there has been a definitive statement from MG.
Hi everyone hope your all keeping well, not really been on here for a week.

So it appears I need to address a few comments made by the administrator Stewart Wright .

Hi Stewart, seen your comments about the letter I sent to the DVSA and The consumers Association Which, and I’m sorry to say I don’t agree with some of them
I have done nothing wrong Stewart with regard to the outstanding MG5 exclusive possible roof rail safety issue,

I’ve just done what was needed to make MG take some action to make their vehicle the MG5 exclusive as safe as possible for everyone, owners and road users alike.

I had given MG over two months from 6th November 2020 when I first contacted them, to look into the the issue with the roof rails but they refuse to change anything either in the specifications or upon vehicle itself, but they did very quickly I might had, tried to change their literature once I had highlight there was a possible SAFETY issue with the rails on the MG5 but without much success I might say

Pictures of a bike on a roof carrier are still available to this day. They where given plenty of time and a deadline that I would take the matter to bodies with some authority to investigate the issue on the 29th December 2020

Stewart I must assure you and others, I’m not trying to damage the Image of the MG5 or MG motors, I sir have one on order with deposits paid and a zappi charger newly installed at my home, and that’s more expense, waiting for it to arrive so why would I try to damage them, I never went to any newspapers or placed any links to newspaper articles on this forum Stewart, you did that, me I only read the first one when I saw on the forum someone had placed Les it’s made to the Mail, and the only other I’ve read is the Which report and I didn’t find anything untrue In either, in fact if you look at my letter 10th January to someone call Gary Smart of MG motors and read the attachment number 2/3 you will see I thank MG for bringing these well priced cars to the UK market and wish them the best of luck for the future.

So no I wasn’t premature in anything something had to be done especially when they wrote and said to me that I would be responsible for informing anyone I eventually sold the car onto that the roof rails where decorative only

Safety is the issue so MG Fix or Remove them is what I say, they haven’t got a leg to stand on here, plus what good you running a poll is going to do is beyond me Stewart,come off mate,.
I say again this is for the SAFETY of everyone on our roads sort it out before someone gets hurt or even worse, stop trying to cover your mistakes and fix the problem that’s how you will restore confidence in the brand and it’s products.

Les Burrows.

Last edited:
768B1ADA-9819-4F28-ABAA-4C0593726BC0.png

Article in today’s Sun newspaper about the issue. Typical headlining from the writer

Note to Stewart Wright
I found in my alerts today my request for a YouTube video placed by Marcad on the 16 January on page 6 of this forum has been rejected you state that you can’t remove the item but you could by asking the member who posted it to remove it
So I now ask Marcad please until this issue with safety is resolved remove the video clip from YT as this might be very dangerous if somebody not knowing about this forum and what has been said may just look on YT or google and think this is ok in the clip it says the rails can take 35kg and fitting these cross across the joints in the rails makes them stronger both of which are totally false at this time and it should not be there please take it down

Post deleted, but I read the request for the deletion of the YT video which I haven't posted, however I have deleted my posted link to it. Les you should have pm'd me
edit.
Les you will need to delete your post page 6 as well as access to the YT video is available through your post also! Thanks
Marc.

Last edited:
Post deleted, but I read the request for the deletion of the YT video which I haven't posted, however I have deleted my posted link to it. Les you should have pm'd me
edit.
Les you will need to delete your post page 6 as well as access to the YT video is available through your post also! Thanks
Marc.
Thanks Marc for your quick reply and thank you for removing the post I’m very new to this forum thing I’m 74 never been in a forum before don’t do anything on social media at all
So should have pm,d do know how to sorry also you say I need to delete my post on page 6 as well to get rid of it from YT can you explain how I do that and I will UPDATE just looked again and I think I’ve done it well it’s gone form this forum anyhow
Thank you very much again I’m glad you got the message and you understand
Les

Last edited:
Stewart just to update you Marcad has been very helpful and as deleted the post
Les I hope your attention to detail is sufficient when dealing with the roof rail issue.

Removing the embedded YouTube video showing how to use the roof rails serves little purpose since it's still available on YouTube. It's not a good idea to try to censor stuff from the internet when it's already in the public domain.
And we still haven't had a definitive answer from MG on the issue, yet.

Stuart Wright.

Last edited:
Les I hope your attention to detail is sufficient when dealing with the roof rail issue.
Stuart Wright.

Removing the embedded YouTube video showing how to use the roof rails serves little purpose since it's still available on YouTube. It's not a good idea to try to censor stuff from the internet when it's already in the public domain.
And we still haven't had a definitive answer from MG on the issue, yet.
Hi Stewart thank you for your words of advice, I have today seen the video on the YT channel and I have asked that it is removed until the issue is resolved and explained to them that MG have said the roof must not be loaded and the rails are under investigation I’ve not had a response as yet. Not sure how things work with this but I will monitor it
Les

There are some chargers out there. It might be less expensive and more convenient to stop than to hire a car.
I haven't owned an EV, so have no knowledge of the charging network. What you say may be the case and if I find that out for myself, then charging on a long trip could be the best option.

Not sure what this panda video mean can you please enlighten me and if I’ve
Said or done something wrong again please say
Les
Not sure Les. But I think Mr Panda has just bought an MG5! 😞

He's saying where's those Prozac tablets?

I think that what you have done here is potentially very damaging to the MG5 and the MG brand. I'm not sure it was the fairest thing to do. At least until there has been a definitive statement from MG.
Let’s be clear here - MG are the ones damaging the MG5 and the MG brand with their staggering ineptitude.

Let’s be clear here - MG are the ones damaging the MG5 and the MG brand with their staggering ineptitude.
I'm not disagreeing with you. But the fact remains, it still does none of us any good. The way things are going, the most likely outcome is usable roof rails. In which case, why is this still news? All it's doing is pouring petrol on the fire.

I'm not disagreeing with you. But the fact remains, it still does none of us any good. The way things are going, the most likely outcome is usable roof rails. In which case, why is this still news? All it's doing is pouring petrol on the fire.
Perhaps the heat from the fire will spur them into action! At the end of the day, the media are just doing what they do - if MG had provided a proper response to this in the first place then we wouldn’t be where we are.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom