MG5 Software and HV battery disconnected warning

C6MFC

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
On two occasions whist static I have had the "HV Battery disconnected" warning illuminate on my MG5. On one occasion I was in the way of other vehicles and had to select N and push the car out of the way. Not great in a 21 reg car. I took my car to the selling dealer they checked that out, along with other electrical anomalies, like infotainment screen going blank for long periods, difficulties connecting Bluetooth devices etc, etc.

Anyway, nothing found apparently, all software up to date and no log of these issues in the car's data logger which I find strange. It happened again some time later, so yesterday my car went back to dealer for replacement interior light unit as it was rattling (12 weeks to get spare part) and the door mirrors were creaking so loud on closing that passers-by would turn round to see what the noise was. I told the service manager that the HV battery fault had happened again. When my car was ready she said they had done also an update to software so that should help with the HV battery issue.

Last night I charged the car and this morning the display read "connected uncharged" as usual but the range "guess o' meter" showed 209 miles. Best I had seen before was 197. I have balanced the battery periodically, but never seen this sort of range displayed after a charge. I drove to shops and found that I now also have regen braking with 100% battery life, which also never happened before, usually it had to go down to 98% or so and I needed to be carful when first driving after a full charge to remember there would be no regen yet. So regen from 100% is really good. By the way where does the regen energy go with a full battery? I work in the rail industry and we have regen braking on electric trains, however when we got bi-mode trains which can run as electric or diesel they needed massive resisters fitted to the roof to take the regen energy and dissipate it as heat because the train is not connected to overhead wires.

Has there been an update to MG5 BMS? I know there is much chat about the ZSEV software updates but I thought MG5 was so new it was up to date?

From a ZS owner and reading about the BMS stuff on our corner of the forum, your post certainly does read like some BMS software has been changed.

What version of software is it running, out of interest?

Sorry I didn't ask. But 12 weeks ago when I first reported the fault they said I fully was fully up to date? So so either there has been an update or my car came with old software? And they have done something they missed at PDI. The up shot is this is good, but am I just catching up or do most MG5s still not have regen from 100% charge?

Again a ZS driver, I think with the latest BMS software 100% showing on the charge still has some deliberate headroom of around 3% of battery capacity available. They have shifted down the maximum discharge voltage by the same % to give the same range. Hence there’s some room for regenerative braking from the outset.
That was my understanding, I may have confused the explanation.

Ah...that would explain what I'm seeing although I'm also seeing a higher than 3 percent increase in guess o' meter range. Fascinating where tweaks can change the perception and drivability. The regen enery has to have somewhere to go so what you say makes perfect sense. Thank you. Interesting to hear what other MG5 owners are seeing

Interesting post, it’s like these things happen and there’s never an explanation, but when work is done “magic” happens. Maybe MG means Mysterious Gremlins. In all seriousness, not good having to push a new, 2 tonne car out of the way. Hope things get better for you.

I have always charged my "5" using "Grannie". It always shows 100%, 214miles. When I use the car these figures start to drop straight away. EXCEPT the other day I did exactly the same as usual. The car showed 100% but the GOM showed 219miles. I then drove for almost 10 miles before the charge meter started to drop from 100% and there was absolutely no regen braking at all (it almost felt like the car was self-powering with my foot off the accelerator). Maybe it did a balancing charge? Who knows. Car was purchased about 10weeks ago so is probably up-to-date on s/w.

On two occasions whist static I have had the "HV Battery disconnected" warning illuminate on my MG5. On one occasion I was in the way of other vehicles and had to select N and push the car out of the way. Not great in a 21 reg car. I took my car to the selling dealer they checked that out, along with other electrical anomalies, like infotainment screen going blank for long periods, difficulties connecting Bluetooth devices etc, etc.

Anyway, nothing found apparently, all software up to date and no log of these issues in the car's data logger which I find strange. It happened again some time later, so yesterday my car went back to dealer for replacement interior light unit as it was rattling (12 weeks to get spare part) and the door mirrors were creaking so loud on closing that passers-by would turn round to see what the noise was. I told the service manager that the HV battery fault had happened again. When my car was ready she said they had done also an update to software so that should help with the HV battery issue.

Last night I charged the car and this morning the display read "connected uncharged" as usual but the range "guess o' meter" showed 209 miles. Best I had seen before was 197. I have balanced the battery periodically, but never seen this sort of range displayed after a charge. I drove to shops and found that I now also have regen braking with 100% battery life, which also never happened before, usually it had to go down to 98% or so and I needed to be carful when first driving after a full charge to remember there would be no regen yet. So regen from 100% is really good. By the way where does the regen energy go with a full battery? I work in the rail industry and we have regen braking on electric trains, however when we got bi-mode trains which can run as electric or diesel they needed massive resisters fitted to the roof to take the regen energy and dissipate it as heat because the train is not connected to overhead wires.

Has there been an update to MG5 BMS? I know there is much chat about the ZSEV software updates but I thought MG5 was so new it was up to date?
regarding the HV battery disconnected it seems like the 5 has a "camping mode" of sorts.you start the car without pressing the brake itll go to standby mode then press it again itll "start" into another mode which I call camping mode. In this mode you can turn on the AC and but you cannot put it into gear to drive.

I havent experimented with it alot so anyone with experience can add on.

Interesting going out shortly will try that too
This will quickly flatten the 12v battery. The only way to engage the HV battery is to press start with your foot on the brake.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom