MG5 SR Headlights

How do you adjust the headlights, I had a look but couldn't see anything that looked like adjustment on the headlights themselves?

How do you adjust the headlights, I had a look but couldn't see anything that looked like adjustment on the headlights themselves?
Hi tommy with regard to the light units themselves I’m not sure some types have a thumbwheel adjustment others you will need a screwdriver of some kind and others maybe a special tool so I think your better getting the dealer or a local garage to adjust and set them on a beam setter myself won’t cost very much I’m sure in side the car you an lower the lights if you heavy load in the boot with the thumb wheel on the dashboard
Les.
071AB7A9-B844-4A85-9964-771EEB3A8226.png

So it’s taken you 20 months to complain about the headlights , I would say the bulbs are getting tired and need changing
I don’t think so. Lights should last many years … and yet another sarcastic comment. Time to leave this place.

I shall now throw a spanner in the works I’ve had my MG5 SR now around 20 months or so getting on for 18000 miles 2 nd winter coming up and I was at first a little bit concerned having come from my Skoda Superb estate which had HID headlights which where fantastic and where also fitted with high power washers which makes one hell of a difference, to the mg 5 I knew the lights where not as good they would never going to be but I am now well use to them and there’s nothing wrong with the standard set up at all for me.

Fitting LED bulbs plenty about but against the law, and will fail the MOT, a lot of owners say nightbreakers or better I don’t know never seen them but here comes the spanner last week my wife got an MG4 which is fitted with LEDs as standard my ho my what a difference fantastic they are even better than the Superb was, without doubt, just one little tip to John w who started the thread off, be sure to give them a quick wipe over often it sure does help when they are clean.
And if the new MG5 comes with the same lights as the MG4 it might just sway me.
Les
I have the MG5 LR and think it is a great car. Like yourself I have had no problems with seeing at night with these headlights.
I believe the new facelift MG5 has LED headlights therefore I am also very tempted to change when it becomes available.

3rd party LED’s are not the way to go, usually they have cooling fans and they will either fail or overheat when the heatsinks get dirty.
A far better solution is Xenon HID bulbs, they don’t require coolng fans, probably fail MOT though just like LED’s

I shall now throw a spanner in the works I’ve had my MG5 SR now around 20 months or so getting on for 18000 miles 2 nd winter coming up and I was at first a little bit concerned having come from my Skoda Superb estate which had HID headlights which where fantastic and where also fitted with high power washers which makes one hell of a difference, to the mg 5 I knew the lights where not as good they would never going to be but I am now well use to them and there’s nothing wrong with the standard set up at all for me.

Fitting LED bulbs plenty about but against the law, and will fail the MOT, a lot of owners say nightbreakers or better I don’t know never seen them but here comes the spanner last week my wife got an MG4 which is fitted with LEDs as standard my ho my what a difference fantastic they are even better than the Superb was, without doubt, just one little tip to John w who started the thread off, be sure to give them a quick wipe over often it sure does help when they are clean.
And if the new MG5 comes with the same lights as the MG4 it might just sway me.
Les
Huh? putting LED lights in an MG5 is illegal, but LED lights in an MG4 is perfectly legal. What's the difference?

I don’t think so. Lights should last many years … and yet another sarcastic comment. Time to leave this place
🙄🙄🙄
The op at this time had not said that he hadn’t used the car at night before that trip ! So I was only going on info to hand

I have the MG5 LR and think it is a great car. Like yourself I have had no problems with seeing at night with these headlights.
I believe the new facelift MG5 has LED headlights therefore I am also very tempted to change when it becomes available.
I think the probable £7000+ to change to the facelift is a bit too steep to get LED headlights.

What about the 360 degree camera though? :)
I seem to have managed without such a thing up until now. Does it give an out of body experience, that might be interesting.
I do like the facelift but must weigh up the specs and see if the SE has enough toys to satisfy.

Just to chip in, I leave in a v.rural, completely unlit area (the "varicose lanes" of Powys) & have to say that even with Osram Night Breakers fitted, I find the light pattern to be poor compared to previous halogen-equipped cars. I think it might be something to do with the "projector lens" design (v.1990s!:)). The dipped beam cut-off seems v.abrupt, and high-beam is quite "washed out" and doesn't seem to pick up detail. But it's all subjective, so if they work for you...They work..

P.S. the old rectangular headlights my much lamented 1993 W124 Merc (parked in field) knock the MG's lights into a cocked-hat...

"Blind Pew"

Just to chip in, I leave in a v.rural, completely unlit area (the "varicose lanes" of Powys) & have to say that even with Osram Night Breakers fitted, I find the light pattern to be poor compared to previous halogen-equipped cars. I think it might be something to do with the "projector lens" design (v.1990s!:)). The dipped beam cut-off seems v.abrupt, and high-beam is quite "washed out" and doesn't seem to pick up detail. But it's all subjective, so if they work for you...They work..

P.S. the old rectangular headlights my much lamented 1993 W124 Merc (parked in field) knock the MG's lights into a cocked-hat...

"Blind Pew"
Maybe they need some adjustment, up, down, left or right ?

On a nice dark morning driving through brum my nighbreakers popped.
17 months they lasted:unsure:

Mine just over 14 months and the went withing a couple of weeks of each other, though probably much less as they weren't in use much over the Summer.
I've got a couple of Philips bulbs sitting for when I get my car back, hope they last longer..

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom