MG5 Standard Range ?

Whilst I only ever drive in Eco, KERS is moved based on road conditions.

Fast quiet roads I stick to KERS1 or 2, only heavy trafficked roads are only KERS3

It's about momentum. If you are driving through rolling hills gaining speed without regen downhill is easier in KERS1, the lighter footed up hill loosing speed. By minimising regen (losses of 5-10%) and instead using momentum you get back up the other side with overall less energy.

There are roads I remember from fossil days I could roll at the right speed in neutral for long distances. I have done that in my EV a few times too, but prefer to keep the power needle on zero as the regen is there if needed.

As in a fossil car, smooth driving & the lowest speeds to reach the destination always win. I have been known to drive at 20mph with a queue of cars stuck behind me when I know that is the exact speed required to reach the traffic / lights / junction in front as it clears to green or for me to go, maintaining momentum.

When I try, I can complete a trip with much less energy in particular on regular runs this way without any additional time to complete the trip This is a bit harder in an EV as there is just so much power on tap.

Last week I drove 4 trips of 60 miles along the same route. Driving light footed I used 25% to go 60 miles on hilly & fast roads twice at the speed limits of up to 70 mph The other 2 trips I drove as faster on one and as fast as I could safely, overtaking slow coaches with gusto on the other and used 30% & 33%.

Its all about using your momentum, minimising speeds without slowing your trip by any notable time. Not easy, but once you try it the benefits are less energy used & more relaxed driving.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom