MG5 Trophy Facelift not charging

Graham5

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
So about 4 weeks ago my MG5 stopped charging on the AC side (wallbox charger from house) although it charged on the DC side at rapid chargers. I did the usual and tried different chargers even the 3 pin 240v charger that came with the car, the wallbox charger still charges my Wife's ID3 so that was ruled out. Its now been at the dealers for a little over 3 weeks and no nearer to them finding the fault.How long should I give them or more importantly MG to come up with a solution as it seems strange to have to wait for this amount of time.
I have to say the garage have given me an Electric loaner albeit a tiny one so kudos to them. If I have to get on to MG what would be my options, any advice would be appreciated.

So about 4 weeks ago my MG5 stopped charging on the AC side (wallbox charger from house) although it charged on the DC side at rapid chargers. I did the usual and tried different chargers even the 3 pin 240v charger that came with the car, the wallbox charger still charges my Wife's ID3 so that was ruled out. Its now been at the dealers for a little over 3 weeks and no nearer to them finding the fault.How long should I give them or more importantly MG to come up with a solution as it seems strange to have to wait for this amount of time.
I have to say the garage have given me an Electric loaner albeit a tiny one so kudos to them. If I have to get on to MG what would be my options, any advice would be appreciated.
How old is the car?

When my car failed on DC charging it took the dealer a total of 18 weeks (over two attempts) to find and fix the fault, they were so busy with other MG repairs they could not set aside the time to keep it in the workshop. In my case they eventually traced it to corrosion in the charging port.
AC is a bit more complicated though as the actual charger is in the car so there are more possibilities for faults to exist.
If they have given you a loaner then give them whatever time they need to fix your car, it will not cost you anything. Parts from experience take around 10 days to arrive once ordered.

When my car failed on DC charging it took the dealer a total of 18 weeks (over two attempts) to find and fix the fault, they were so busy with other MG repairs they could not set aside the time to keep it in the workshop. In my case they eventually traced it to corrosion in the charging port.
AC is a bit more complicated though as the actual charger is in the car so there are more possibilities for faults to exist.
If they have given you a loaner then give them whatever time they need to fix your car, it will not cost you anything. Parts from experience take around 10 days to arrive once ordered.
Surely they could test for resistance to check components that are out of parameters?
A multimeter can test for that.

Surely they could test for resistance to check components that are out of parameters?
A multimeter can test for that.
Its a tad more complicated than that, AC chargers involve switch mode power supply, communications with the wallbox and BMS with qa few other things thrown in for good measure.

Not being there at the time I can't say exactly what procedures they used. I do know they used MG diagnostic software that initially showed high resistance in the power transfer module, the bit that supplies power to the motor. They ordered and replaced that but the car died again a week later, after that was a long back and forth with MG before they discovered the bad port.

Anyway, I don't want to take attention away from Graham's issue so we'll leave it and hope his dealer is able to fix his car faster.

Its a tad more complicated than that, AC chargers involve switch mode power supply, communications with the wallbox and BMS with qa few other things thrown in for good measure.
You can test with these
I'll check the model at work and find the model number.

You can test with these
I'll check the model at work and find the model number.
Thats a unit for testing the wallbox which the OP has stated is working fine with other EV's and he has also tried the granny charger with the same result. It's a fault with the car not the wallboxes.

Guys thank you so much as usual you are a great source of information, I have no issue with the repairing garage so don't want to have a go at them. The one thing I would like from them is a bigger car they have given me an Electric Fiat 500 (and that charges from my wallbox). Is it worth contacting MG Customer Services myself do you think.

If it turns out to be a faulty CCU and spare parts availability hasn’t improved then it could take months to resolve this problem according to the experience of other users.

One chap had to wait 200+ days but he was provided with another MG5 so he wasn’t too bothered..

Get on to MG, a Fiat 500 might do for a few days but not in the long run…

Guys thank you so much as usual you are a great source of information, I have no issue with the repairing garage so don't want to have a go at them.
It may help your garage if you have a chat with them and explain where youre at, that youre not impressed with the loan car and not impressed with the time taken by MG to resolve the issue. If you say you may well have to go down the route of rejecting the car that will give them the bullets to fire at MG to get a move on.

The one thing I would like from them is a bigger car they have given me an Electric Fiat 500 (and that charges from my wallbox).
Talk to the garage as above, they will no their legal responsibilities and should find you a replacement vehicle.

Is it worth contacting MG Customer Services myself do you think.
I would suggest not, your contract is with the dealer, not MG

Some good advice people, @John B I think what you say makes perfect sense so for now I will continue to deal with the repairing garage. I will keep this post updated as and when I progress.

Some good advice people, @John B I think what you say makes perfect sense so for now I will continue to deal with the repairing garage. I will keep this post updated as and when I progress.
Good luck @GrahamS, I hope you get sorted quickly it really should be a relatively straight forward job, most likely the onboard charger.

Quick update, I have my car back after 5 weeks and lo and behold it was the CCU so kudos to all you people on here for the heads up, although I haven't had to charge it yet so I have my fingers crossed.What annoys me is why does it take so long to fix what is probably a common fault.
While I was at the dealer I asked for a service plan quote and was quoted the figures below, bearing in mind I won't get anywhere near the mileage of 15000 a year so it will be a low mileage car what do you guys think. I will probably keep the car for 3 years.
2 years £431.25
3 years £581.22
4 years £843.95
5 years £981.95

Quick update, I have my car back after 5 weeks and lo and behold it was the CCU so kudos to all you people on here for the heads up, although I haven't had to charge it yet so I have my fingers crossed.What annoys me is why does it take so long to fix what is probably a common fault.
While I was at the dealer I asked for a service plan quote and was quoted the figures below, bearing in mind I won't get anywhere near the mileage of 15000 a year so it will be a low mileage car what do you guys think. I will probably keep the car for 3 years.
2 years £431.25
3 years £581.22
4 years £843.95
5 years £981.95
Those prices seem very high. Have a look here and put your details in, no obligation.

Click the link ..... Get a service plan quote and purchase your plan online

2 years £431.25
3 years £581.22
4 years £843.95
5 years £981.95
I've just paid £494.74 for a 4 year plan with 2 x MOT's included with MG an dealer.

What annoys me is why does it take so long to fix what is probably a common fault.
Simply a logistics problem: not enough spare parts available in-county, long delivery times from OEM to European warehouse and probably additional delays due to Brexit

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom