• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG5, Zappi and scheduled charging

htiek

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi folks,
A question for those of you with Zappis.
We just had our Zappi2 fitted and I have been trying to set up the boost charge timer to take advantage of our Octopus Go cheap 4 hour tarriff.
I programmed in a test run for a 30min boost and was delighted to see that the charge started as scheduled. Not so chuffed to find that it wouldn't stop though! I left it for 45mins but in the end had to manually stop it.
I created another 30 min boost schedule and same result, started charging on the dot but just kept going after the 30 mins had expired.
Anyone got any ideas?
Cheers,
Keith

Set it to eco+ as if you have solar and it will wait for feed and won't fined one then set start time and number of hours to run in scheduled boost.

Screenshot_20210227-084403.png

As stated above: you need to make sure you set it to Eco+ mode so that it stops charging at the end of the boost period. It is conceivable that your CT clamps are placed incorrectly which might confuse it into thinking imports are exports. Of course, if you have solar and you were generating sufficient power at the end of the boost time then of course the car will continue charging.

I found that you need to have it charging in Eco mode before setting a 'Smart Boost' so that the testing phase of the boost can correctly measure the maximum charging speed, then you can set it back to Eco+ to pause charging until your boost kicks in.

I'm not 100% sure what settings fixed my issues but I was having a problem where the Zappi would say 'charge complete' if I unlocked the car mid-charge. Having updated to the latest firmware I also set compatibility mode to 'on', infinite PWM to 'on' and charge end time to 90s. As this combination is working well, I haven't tweaked it further.

Thanks folks,
I should have mentioned that I don't have solar at the moment so grid only.
My app settings look similar except I thought I would need to set the percentage bar to 100. Might have that the wrong way round.
I'll investigate the compatibility settings a bit further too👍🏻
Keith

Tried changing the settings mentioned and scheduled in a 15 minute boost charge. Watching the zappi display it showed the boost counting down to zero then display changed to "charging".
I have noticed that I have no grid readings showing. Looking in the meter box and consumer unit, no CT is fitted in either. We were handed a cardboard box with a CT in it by the installer for "if we ever fitted solar". I am now wondering if no grid CT fitted, the Zappi thinks it should keep charging as it thinks it is all excess energy? Could be a complete rubbish theory though!
But I assume the installer should have fitted the CT for the grid regardless of whether we had any wind/solar?
Keith

Your installer should have fitted a single CT clamp. Get them back out to finish the job, otherwise the Zappi is working blind.

They should of fitted that CT. It's not for solar but to read the grid feed, it also tells the zappi if the whole house is using anywhere near your main fuse amps so that it can turn your charger down. They need to come back and fit it. It requires a cat cable pair, so maybe they didn't know or care. But it's one of the ways the app knows what's going on.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom