MG5EV Wind noise on drivers side at 70 mph

Equicoltd

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I love my MG5EV but there is a very annoying wind noise which appears to come through the drivers window as soon as you got 70mph.
I have taken the car into the garage twice and they agree the noise is there but cannot find the reason for it.
Yesterday I was told that they tested another indentical vehicle and it made the same noise and therefore this was a feature of the vehicle. I find this a very annoying feature!
Has anyone else experienced this noise and what has been done about it?
As far as I know the noise only occurs in the drivers side.
The garage has said that they cannot see this being reported to MG but as it is a 'feature' I cannot believe that no one has reported it.
Thanks for your help

I suspect many owners may not experience the noise due to not travelling at 70 mph very often because of the drain on the battery at higher speeds.

The wind noise is disproportionately high in an EV because there is no engine noise to mask it. Weirdly I find the wind noise in the MG5 to be a useful guide to how much air resistance I'm experiencing so it encourages me to either slow down or find shelter behind a van etc. The noisier it is, the more energy you're wasting.

The noise is likely coming from a combination of the A pillar, the wing mirror and the roof rails. There isn't much in the way of sound insulation in the pillar so it lets the noise in. The obvious solution is to turn the music up a bit.

The wind noise is disproportionately high in an EV because there is no engine noise to mask it. Weirdly I find the wind noise in the MG5 to be a useful guide to how much air resistance I'm experiencing so it encourages me to either slow down or find shelter behind a van etc. The noisier it is, the more energy you're wasting.

The noise is likely coming from a combination of the A pillar, the wing mirror and the roof rails. There isn't much in the way of sound insulation in the pillar so it lets the noise in. The obvious solution is to turn the music up a bit.
I suggested that it might be the wing mirrors but the garage didn't agree. I think the radio is the answer😊 although I do usually prefer a quiet drive. Thanks for your help

I ordered some wind deflectors for the windows from AliExpress - will see how much more noise they generate. It should save me using the climate control to help with range

I drove 70mph for 100 miles last night in the rain and wind and disnt hear any noise from the window. There is wind resistant noise but there is on all cars unless you're in a high end Bentley or whatever. I think people on here just like to moan.

Do you have a link?
A4725259-5476-4483-AE75-E8BA5CE9DB77.png
With duty import tax - works out about £50 delivered

I don’t Have a link, but search for “Roewe Ei5 Visor” on AliExpress.

I drove 70mph for 100 miles last night in the rain and wind and disnt hear any noise from the window. There is wind resistant noise but there is on all cars unless you're in a high end Bentley or whatever. I think people on here just like to moan.
Double glazed windows do help isolate any outside noise, my old 2016 Prius had them.

At least you are not telling me I shouldn't be driving at 70 ! You are lucky that you are not having a whistling noise for the 100 miles otherwise I think you would be asking the question as well. But thank you for taking the time to reply. The garage are still looking(listening) to the problem so I'll let you know the outcome.

I have a car whose windscreen wipers make a whistling noise when they are in the parked position above a certain speed (around 40mph). When the wipers are turned on the noise goes away whilst the wipers traverse the screen. Slightly annoying fault but I just live with it. My MG5 is very quiet apart from road noise which becomes the dominant sound as speed increases, as with all vehicles.

Mine is from the passenger side, only if I'm in the left hand lane near to trees or passing large vehicles. Super annoying!

I've not noticed any excessive or whistling wind noise at 70mph with the radio off. Actually seems to be less wind noise than my previous car. Of course there is some noise and of course it increases with speed. Is your window not shutting fully? Is yours an excite or exclusive (mines an exclusive with fully functional roof rails now ;))

I've not noticed any excessive or whistling wind noise at 70mph with the radio off. Actually seems to be less wind noise than my previous car. Of course there is some noise and of course it increases with speed. Is your window not shutting fully? Is yours an excite or exclusive (mines an exclusive with fully functional roof rails now ;))
Exclusive, are they fully functional now? I thought it was max 35kgs and only if you position the cross bars with pinpoint accuracy? 😜

I have the same problem, on the passenger side, took it to the dealer, it is a known concern with the window fit, he told me to jiggle the window up and down to try to get a better seal and it is working for the moment at least.
MG are investigating.

Went from Amersham to Torquay at (ahem) no more than 70 and didn't notice anything notable from a noise perspective

I don't know what car you had before but maybe that the lack of engine noise means you are more tuned to other noises?

Can you turn in the mirrors while driving to see if that helps to pinpoint the issue?

No unusual noise at 70mph for me.
I'd be tempted to look at the mirrors too.
An untidy seal could disrupt airflow.

I've had a device fitted to fine that completely masks the noise. A whopping great roof box. Now I can listen to a lovely whistling noise on the motorway.

One could build an app that used the car stereo for active noise cancellation, record the noise at different speeds and then get it to phase reverse through the speakers at those speeds, would only be needed above 50mph as it's super quiet below that.

I've got a long journey coming up, haven't really gone over 60mph for any extended time yet so don't know how annoying the wind noise will be, tyre road noise seems pretty good though and the sound insulation is good at low speeds.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom