MG5EV Wind noise on drivers side at 70 mph

If the speed is right and the wind in the right direction you can hear a whistling from the roof rails on the exclusive. Same for other cars with rails

May be worth (as a test) putting electrical tape on the gaps with the mirrors out to see if it helps

If it does then set them not to fold and put clear tape on

Been driving me nuts for a year now, car currently in for a service and they are not aware of this fault
So it must just be some cars with something ill fitting
Hopefully they will get to the bottom of it soon

Been driving me nuts for a year now, car currently in for a service and they are not aware of this fault
So it must just be some cars with something ill fitting
Hopefully they will get to the bottom of it soon
Let us know, I have similar, not disturbing but deffo there. I have so far put it down to wind noise around the mirror but I suspect it isn't, more possibly around the window seal.

Let us know, I have similar, not disturbing but deffo there. I have so far put it down to wind noise around the mirror but I suspect it isn't, more possibly around the window seal.
Well no joy at the garage said they took it a test drive but couldn’t hear it
I have several videos which I showed them and it can happen from 30mph upward
Side wind is a definite factor
Pity you can’t upload videos on here which would help
Regards

Upload your video to YouTube and post the link. It will play directly.

I have this! Took it to the dealer who replaced the car seal but it didn't make a difference. Interesting to hear it could be the window. Mine kicks in at about 60mph if I'm driving into a headwind

It's good to hear that the old dealer mantra of "Standard on the model, sir" is still alive.
I had similar noise on an older car many years ago and a friend (who had worked for TVR) fixed it by laying on the drivers seat with his knees against the bottom of the window and pulling on the top of the door frame above the glass! I wouldn't recommend this for a moment on your car, but it did demonstrate how very small changes can make a huge difference to the effectiveness of the door seals.
It may be worth trying a smear of silicone grease around the seal to see if that improves things.

It would be interesting to see a "niggles" thread or vote. I traded up a 5SR with a sticking driver's door handle for to a 5LR with squeaking mirrors and a boot which doesn't always latch properly.
I had thought I would trade up again to the facelift at some point but the cost/build quality balance is troubling at the new price point.

It would be interesting to see a "niggles" thread or vote. I traded up a 5SR with a sticking driver's door handle for to a 5LR with squeaking mirrors and a boot which doesn't always latch properly.
I had thought I would trade up again to the facelift at some point but the cost/build quality balance is troubling at the new price point.
Same here if I don't close it hard enough. Sometimes I am just too gentle for my own good.

Most annoying though is that you can't re-open it without unlocking the car. When it's 'half latched' the key proximity doesn't work. :(

I've got the wind noise on the passenger side at motorway speeds too. Mine is the Excite, so definitely nothing to do with roof rails. Certainly sounds like the window to me.

I had similar noise on an older car many years ago and a friend (who had worked for TVR) fixed it by laying on the drivers seat with his knees against the bottom of the window and pulling on the top of the door frame above the glass! I wouldn't recommend this for a moment on your car, but it did demonstrate how very small changes can make a huge difference to the effectiveness of the door seals.
I have actually seen this being performed in a factory environment, when the door frame does not close tightly enough against the door seal !.
To prove if it’s the door frame not applying enough tension on the seal, you could try this.
Use some 2” inch masking tape and apply it to bridge the gap between the front door and the “A” post of the windscreen.
Just apply tape from the door mirror up and across to the rear of drivers door.
Then take it for a test drive,
Remember :- You will need to enter the car from the passengers door though !.
If the noise stops, then you have found the point where the wind is causing the issue.
I have seen this method used a few times to detect the point of entry of the wind.
A new door seal may cure the problem or it may need the top of the door frame manipulating ( not something you what to witness happening on your car ) as @NCR suggests.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom