MG's routine charging advice

Hi have just upgraded from a 20 zoe to a 22 mg5. Very pleased. Re the zoe I was told to occasionally let the battery run down to 20% then fully charge via the 3 pin very slow domestic cable. Was quite surprised to see dignificant increase in projected range. Apparently the very slow charge let's the battery re calibrate. Anyway will give it a go on the 5 every 3 months or so to see what happens.

I believe this topic has been kicked around enough, but I would like to make one observation. The manufacturer has provided a warranty on the battery lasting I think seven years. This should give you some peace of mind? .

Well my Zs EV is 15 months old and had done over 12,000km. My charging routine is 1. Using solar energy from my 5kW roof when sun shines (about 90% of the energy I use) 2. Using the home charger supplied with the car to balance cells and top up in dull weather 3. There are reasons why 80% charge is mandated for public fast chargers. First, they have to allow for badly designed cars like Nissans whose batteries have no liquid cooling system. Second it is good practice anyway not to push fast charging to its limits, Lithium batteries are still relatively new and one should be cautious about creating any kind of fire hazard. Personally as a retired electronics engineer I would be very cautious about shoving something like 30 Kw/H of energy into a battery in less than an hour.
BTW the biggest problem I have had with my MG is the navigation system which I have not been able to update!

I believe this topic has been kicked around enough, but I would like to make one observation. The manufacturer has provided a warranty on the battery lasting I think seven years. This should give you some peace of mind? .
The warranty is for 70% capacity. I'd be pretty unhappy to lose over 25% of my original range so I'm willing to take some simple steps to minimise degradation. It's not binary - your battery isn't suddenly going to need replacing - it's a steady decline which can be accelerated or slowed depending on how you charge.

Charging to 100% every day will degrade the battery faster, especially for those of us with the NMC chemistry SR model. But let's be absolutely clear: I don't suffer the slightest bit of inconvenience by charge the way I do, I simply only plug in if I can get some free solar charging or if it dips below 50%. Then the charger is scheduled to charge for 2 hours overnight which adds about 25%. If I need more then I'll set it to charge for longer.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom