MGZS EV 1st Generation Steering Knock

Seve

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Had the Steering column replaced 6 weeks ago.having experienced "knocking" the turning the steering wheel, It took 3 months for the dealer to source the replacement column, the car is going back to dealer this week, "knocking" has come back.

Has anybody else experienced the "knocking" from the steering on MGZS EV ?

It is a common issue on the ZS EV Gen1 on some cars and it has ( in some cases ) migrated over onto the Gen2 model as well.
Which should come as no surprise really, as it is using the same Bosch steering set up.
Fixes for this issue have varied from a simple check tightening of the steering column bolts and ( or ) the manual steering column adjusting clamp.
Or to replacing the just the lower steering column UJ joint, or even replacing the complete steering column assembly top to bottom !..
This course of action is the most radical repair, which appears to be successful on other owners cars, but the wait time on parts is lengthy.
Do you know what parts have been replaced on your car ?.
A quick search 🔍 above will bring up all of the historical data with regards to this issue.

It is a common issue on the ZS EV Gen1 on some cars and it has ( in some cases ) migrated over onto the Gen2 model as well.
Which should come as no surprise really, as it is using the same Bosch steering set up.
Fixes for this issue have varied from a simple check tightening of the steering column bolts and ( or ) the manual steering column adjusting clamp.
Or to replacing the just the lower steering column UJ joint, or even replacing the complete steering column assembly top to bottom !..
This course of action is the most radical repair, which appears to be successful on other owners cars, but the wait time on parts is lengthy.
Do you know what parts have been replaced on your car ?.
A quick search 🔍 above will bring up all of the historical data with regards to this issue.
I think the dealer has replaced lower part of the column

I think the dealer has replaced lower part of the column
That does make perfect sense then !.
It is my own belief only, that the steering column rattle appears to manifest itself from the upper section of steering column.
There have been cases of lower UJ failing prematurely, but this usually presents itself with the customer complaining about a lot of side to side play in the steering wheel and a vague feeling at the steering wheel.
Also constantly the driver making corrections at the wheel, in order to keep the car on track on a straight flat road.
A feeling that the car is “wandering” in the lane is another complaint.
In the case of the column rattle, it can be heard directly behind the steering wheel when the car passes over a broken tarmac surface etc.
It can be one quick short knock / rattle, or as the fault develops it can be heard to rattle a number of times, given the right conditions.
Like passing over a rumble strip for an example.
It sounds like the upper column assembly should be replaced now I guess.
The UJ may have been replaced because some play was evident ?.
Remember, the main dealer does not get the call on what to replace, they will report their findings to MG and they will authorise the ordering of parts / labour content etc.
Wait times on complete steering columns are lengthy I believe.

I had exactly this one my gen1. The lower section was replaced at first, didn't solve it. Many months later, after the part arrived, the upper section was replaced which did sort it out. I think you'll need to go back to the dealer and say the fault still persists, and hopefully they'll replace the rest of your steering column.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom