MGZSEV Exclusive 70 plate 8000 mls only charging to 157 miles despite the weather not being cold

I don't believe that's how it works. A battery if double the capacity doesn't necessarily have double, or necessarily any more voltage, just more active volume to store ions. The battery voltage is about the balance of ions, not the number or volume of them.

But I'm no battery expert.
This came to mind as I remember when I had the faulty BMS installed the max voltage after a full charge would only go up to 427v at its worst as it wasn’t actually charging all the cells so I was thinking you’d see the same fall in overall volts with battery degradation. No real idea whether that would be the case or not though!

Also, since falling to 157 miles after a full and balanced charge I’ve noticed I no longer get the warning bong that I need to use the brakes because there is no active regen. Again, seems to suggest the battery isn’t fully charging.

I dunno. Something doesn’t add up.

Just to add.

One the facelifted version a full battery does not stop the car from using regen braking.

I did a charge to 100% and left the car plugged in, to balance, and when i took it off of the charger the charger said it had stopped because the car reported 100% charge.

Drove and 200 meters from where we live is a traffic light, when i let of the go pedal, it went straight to -19% and the car was slowing down.

This came to mind as I remember when I had the faulty BMS installed the max voltage after a full charge would only go up to 427v at its worst as it wasn’t actually charging all the cells
Ah. That was a fault with the bad BMS firmware, where it would stop charging at too low of a total battery voltage. You say you had that updated, so now you should be charging to the same final voltage.

This came to mind as I remember when I had the faulty BMS installed the max voltage after a full charge would only go up to 427v at its worst as it wasn’t actually charging all the cells so I was thinking you’d see the same fall in overall volts with battery degradation. No real idea whether that would be the case or not though!

Also, since falling to 157 miles after a full and balanced charge I’ve noticed I no longer get the warning bong that I need to use the brakes because there is no active regen. Again, seems to suggest the battery isn’t fully charging.

I dunno. Something doesn’t add up.
If you pop over to the BMS thread, you will find LOAD’S of info and owners stories on this subject.
Many owners ( including myself ) have witnessed similar range results.
Our previous original ZS EV which had the BMS update, reported a HV battery voltage of 449 - 450 volts after a full charge and balance, the predicted range would be about 162 - 163 miles of range.
These are the base line figures that most people where witnessing after the update, unless the pack was badly affected by the buggy software.
Dealers would apply the update and advice owners to carry out multiple slow charging sessions on a A/C charger, until the pack recovered.
The figures above where the target to aim for.
Updating the BMS resets the historical data and it starts the learning process over again.
Over time I then witnessed the predicted range, reduce bit by bit from the expected 163 miles.
The pack voltage always reported about 448 volts, but the relearning process was eating away at that original reset figure of 163 miles.
More time / distance and charges latter and the predicted mileage had reduced to 154 miles of predicted range now.
Still 448 volts on the pack though !.
When we upgraded to the Trophy LR model, our previous model had covered almost 20,00 0 miles and was just over two years old.
I think at this point the predicted range had now caught up in the learning process of reporting a pack of this age.
You can use this info to compare to your situation on your car.
Other owners on the BMS thread have witnessed a similar condition.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom