Microphone doesn’t appear to work on Apple CarPlay

Cloggsy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
When I received a text/WhatsApp in my old car (SEAT Ibiza) I could reply using voice. But in my new MG4, this doesn’t seem to work; it is not picking up my voice.

I haven’t tried phone calls yet, just texts.

Do I have a dodgy microphone, are there any setting in the infotainment system I need to check? No settings have changed on my iPhone…

Any help greatly appreciated 👍🏻

As I posted on FB. It is probably the Bluetooth pairing. Ideally that should be done first before the car play pairing. Recommended by the garage when I got the car.

No on the latest infotainment software the mic will not work while you are driving

Works fine when stopped In park

Totally stupid setup

No on the latest infotainment software the mic will not work while you are driving

Totally stupid setup
😳 You’re kidding?! 🤷🏻‍♂️ This can’t be true surely?

For those who are that way inclined, this is just going to encourage them to pick their phone up to reply surely? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
When I received a text/WhatsApp in my old car (SEAT Ibiza) I could reply using voice. But in my new MG4, this doesn’t seem to work; it is not picking up my voice.

I haven’t tried phone calls yet, just texts.

Do I have a dodgy microphone, are there any setting in the infotainment system I need to check? No settings have changed on my iPhone…

Any help greatly appreciated 👍🏻
Same here, I can use it if I hold down the microphone button, but if android auto asks me something... it doesnt hear me or it doesnt work atleast. Used to work in my MG5

I've seen this question before, and I've seen this response before:

When I last saw that comment I did a test ... whether stationary or moving, AA picks up my voice fine, and also listens to responses from prompts. This is with the (current) latest SE SR Infotainment software (1100/R13).

I've seen this question before, and I've seen this response before:

When I last saw that comment I did a test ... whether stationary or moving, AA picks up my voice fine, and also listens to responses from prompts. This is with the (current) latest SE SR Infotainment software (1100/R13).

Carplay only seems to work when stationery. (R30)

So does this mean you can't tell it what to play on Spotify for example while driving? If my almost two year old MG5 can manage it then I'm mighty disappointed if it doesn't work in the 4.

I had the same issue when I picked my car up last week but I used a different cable (an Amazon Basics made for iPhone cable) and it works absolutely fine for me even when driving.

So does this mean you can't tell it what to play on Spotify for example while driving? If my almost two year old MG5 can manage it then I'm mighty disappointed if it doesn't work in the 4.
Don't forget it is a completely different entertainment system from a different supplier. It will have bugs and missing features that have been on previous cars.

I had the same issue when I picked my car up last week but I used a different cable (an Amazon Basics made for iPhone cable) and it works absolutely fine for me even when driving.
I’m using the same cable out of my old car, which worked fine, now it doesn’t work in this car 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

I’m using the same cable out of my old car, which worked fine, now it doesn’t work in this car 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
How have you managed to get cable through the holes on mg4 and have you got to plug iPhone in to charge ,any help would be appreciated,

How have you managed to get cable through the holes on mg4 and have you got to plug iPhone in to charge ,any help would be appreciated,
I used a flat-blade screwdriver up through the bottom to "pop" the shelf cover (partially) off. I then fed the USB cable up through the shelf and slid it through the slot in the cover. Then I pushed the cover back down and clicked it into place. :)

This is how I've got mine fitted:

I pulled up the right side of the rubber charging mat whilst sat in the showroom Trophy demo car… there’s just a couple of rubber plugs holding it down as far as I could see. Just takes a bit of a yank to get it up, went back down fine.
The hole to get the cable up from below is plenty big enough, its just that the slit on the rubber top mat is much tighter to locate the cable once it’s through.

The only caveat here being I’m not actually getting my own car until next year….

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back