Miles/ kWh - Winter

How much miles/ kWh are you getting during these cold winter months with your MG ZS EV?

• Total voters

mitchellleighton

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi guys, I love my MG ZS EV LR and wouldn’t look back m, and don’t get me wrong I knew the cold was always going to affect range but I feel the need to ask the question to see whether I need to either adjust my driving which I thought was quite tame or approach the garage to have it checked which is likely to see me release some cash. I use a journey planning tool Calle soap map and recently I’ve noticed my electricity usage spike. Zap map takes into the account the make and model but I doubt the time of year to be fair. In any case according to zap map a journey I recently took should of used around 12kWh when I charged it considering that was the only journey I did all day I ended up chucking 22kWh back into the car to get it to the same SoC as before the journey 80%. This works out to be 2.3 miles/kWh. What is everyone seeing at this time of year. I’m don’t get me wrong I’m still quids in as a kWh only costs me 7.5p but I was expecting better. Somewhere around 3m/kWh in winter and in excess of 3.5m/kWh in the summer (which I was seeing back in September when I first got the car to be fair). I recently topped up my tire pressures to 2.8bar which is currently sitting around 2.7bar at present. How much miles/ kWh do you currently get out of your MG ZS EV during this cold winter months?

It varies massively. I did a 1/2 mile run back from the train station the other day and saw 1.8!
My normal 25 mile run to work starts in the low 2's but creeps back up to about 3 by the time I get there. The other half did a very leisurely 140 mile run up the M4 yesterday and got 3.4 (cabin & seat heating will have been on all the way).

It varies massively. I did a 1/2 mile run back from the train station the other day and saw 1.8!
My normal 25 mile run to work starts in the low 2's but creeps back up to about 3 by the time I get there. The other half did a very leisurely 140 mile run up the M4 yesterday and got 3.4 (cabin & seat heating will have been on all the way).
Thanks that gives me some comfort, it doesn’t change how I feel about the car but I have to admit, I became a little concerned it may have been a bit too far out of the norm. Happy it’s not and I agree it does vary, yesterdays journey was particularly poor due to adverse weather conditions. I should have said I did also power my washing machine for 2 cycles but that only usually drains a maximum of 2% each cycle. I typically work on the basis of 1% equates to around 0.8kWh.

Mine averages 2.8 in Winter, dropping to 2.4 on these very frosty sub zero temperature days, on my 3 mile each way daily trip.

Interestingly I got quite an informative email from our dealers (Luscombes @Sam Luscombe in Leeds) yesterday, about driving an EV in winter. Nothing new for us, been driving Leaf for years, but I thought it was a good idea, and well presented, full marks for them.

Interestingly I got quite an informative email from our dealers (Luscombes @Sam Luscombe in Leeds) yesterday, about driving an EV in winter. Nothing new for us, been driving Leaf for years, but I thought it was a good idea, and well presented, full marks for them.
Is it possible you could share the content of the email , I’ve just got my car this week and just learning all the ins outs by posts from all you guys & girls.
anything personal to you just remove it many thanks.

I have voted 2.2 but this is my commute to work -4 this morning I do have a heavy foot and it's 30miles I have also noticed on my longer drives it's creeps up after about 30 miles 3.2 just put it down to battery warming up can cabin heater coming on less

Is it possible you could share the content of the email , I’ve just got my car this week and just learning all the ins outs by posts from all you guys & girls.
anything personal to you just remove it many thanks.
I would assume it is sent to all new EV owners from that dealership, I don't see the problem myself, but I guess really it's upto @Sam Luscombe to post it, rather than me.

I'm averaging about 2.6 at the moment, although I have noticed the car likes it if you use regen to slow down rather than brakes. If I look ahead and slow down gradually with regen i can get around 3.5. :)

Overall average has been 3.9 since I bought it but lately getting 3.4 at best on motorway. City I can get 3.5 upwards comfortably

Is it worth changing the setting to "always heat" the batteries on the infotainment system. It is off by default
How much does it impact does it have on the battery if I was to leave it on every time I switch on the car.

That varies on how cold it is and how long the trip is for me on a 30 mile trip -4 5% extra battery not real worth it?
For me pre heat cabin for 10 min is 1% battery and that heats up battery through residual current

Some good news just got home from work -12 and range is no worse than -4 heater set to 24 auto lovely and warm 70 mph 30miles 2.4 mkwh

But my washer spray stopped and I used special winter additive

Last edited:
Some good news just got home from work -12 and range is no worse than -4 heater set to 24 auto lovely and warm 70 mph 30miles 2.4 mkwh

But my washer spray stopped and I used special winter additive
I'm guessing that it's cold enough for the heater to be on all the time in both temp scenarios to maintain heat then there would be no difference.

The climate temp is a target after all and not a power.

Interesting. I have only had my ZS EV LR for 10 days and the average is 2.2, which has really disappointed me. I am not doing any fast driving - so far it's all in 30, 40 and 50 zones. In my Hyundai Kona I was getting an average of 3.8 in winter. I have the temperature set to 18C and always use Eco mode. When I last charged it to 80%, it estimated I had 180 miles of range. Since then I have driven 76 miles and the battery is on 44% with estimated range of 77 miles.
I know it has been extra cold over the last few days, but it seems that others are getting better m/kwh than me even on motorways and using the heating on much higher. What am I missing?!

Are you pre heating the cabin I pre heat at 24
Mine starts at 2.1 and slowly creeps up as battery warms up normal 20miles ish but I don't use eco

Interesting. I have only had my ZS EV LR for 10 days and the average is 2.2, which has really disappointed me. I am not doing any fast driving - so far it's all in 30, 40 and 50 zones. In my Hyundai Kona I was getting an average of 3.8 in winter. I have the temperature set to 18C and always use Eco mode. When I last charged it to 80%, it estimated I had 180 miles of range. Since then I have driven 76 miles and the battery is on 44% with estimated range of 77 miles.
I know it has been extra cold over the last few days, but it seems that others are getting better m/kwh than me even on motorways and using the heating on much higher. What am I missing?!
2.2-2.4 for me as well.

It's awful.

Ioniq with a heat pump would be doing 3.8-4 in the same driving. It's a more slippery car, but it's not all of it as over half that driving is at speeds below 30mph.

I have the heat set to 19C.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom