Minor vibration through steering at speed

DaevM

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Having done a 250+ mile trip a few days ago, during which there were short periods of 'excessive speed', I noticed some minor vibration via the steering wheel. As the journey was mostly on our poorly maintained motorways and trunk roads (A30/M5), I wasn't sure whether it was as a result of the state of the roads or a poorly balanced wheel. The speed involved was about 75-80 mph ( overtaking manoeuvre 😉). I noticed it several times and will be making the return trip sometime over the next few days, during which time I'll try and work it out.
To be fair it's only minor - I have had a poorly balanced wheel shake the gearbox seal apart in the past. Boy, how I wish I'd addressed that instead of leaving it and seeing what would happen - I was young 🤡.
So, anyone else experienced poorly balanced wheels on new mg4s ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have that at about 110 kph (68 mph) and up. I addressed it at the dealership and they balanced the wheels again, though the "problem" didn't go away. (in quotes as the problem really is minor)

Last edited by a moderator:
Been reading other posts and came across references to flat spots being created on crap chinese conti tyres due to sitting in storage depots etc for long periods. Mine was built 10 months before I took delivery so imagine it's probably that 🤔 - been sitting just outside Bristol creating flat spots for me to ask about at some point in the future...

Been reading other posts and came across references to flat spots being created on crap chinese conti tyres due to sitting in storage depots etc for long periods. Mine was built 10 months before I took delivery so imagine it's probably that 🤔 - been sitting just outside Bristol creating flat spots for me to ask about at some point in the future...
If you are taking the build date from the certificate of conformity remember it is in the American date format Month/Day/Year.

Slightly under-inflate your tyres and take it for a good run to get them warm and soften the rubber then over-inflate them when you get home while they are still warm then let them get cold. Remember to put the tyres back to the proper pressure.

Or

Let your dealer know and live with it for a few weeks to see if they cure themselves. If they don't then get your dealer to replace them.

If you are taking the build date from the certificate of conformity remember it is in the American date format Month/Day/Year.

Slightly under-inflate your tyres and take it for a good run to get them warm and soften the rubber then over-inflate them when you get home while they are still warm then let them get cold. Remember to put the tyres back to the proper pressure.

Or

Let your dealer know and live with it for a few weeks to see if they cure themselves. If they don't then get your dealer to replace them.
Thanks for that Ian - there's a 26 in there somewhere so definitely got the date right.
Will follow the rest of your advice 😁👍

Noticed the same, again very minor and not consistent with the same speeds on the same roads . Sometimes there will be a slight wobble in the steering wheel at other times none , I've just put it down to a very slight imbalance on the tyres . To be fair every previous car I've owned has done the same either on new or part worn rubber. Then again I am always flicking out bits of jammed in road stone out of the tread.:confused:

Bad Vibrations at 65+, which then faded to almost nothing by 500 miles. Mine was 8 months between build and delivery.

I'm now glad they didn't get time to look at it when it was in the garage at 200 miles!

On your next long trip , take off the front wheel trims and see if that makes a difference. The wheel and tyre might be perfectly ok, but the trim slightly out of balance. If its better try rotating the trims with the back ones!

Having done a 250+ mile trip a few days ago, during which there were short periods of 'excessive speed', I noticed some minor vibration via the steering wheel. As the journey was mostly on our poorly maintained motorways and trunk roads (A30/M5), I wasn't sure whether it was as a result of the state of the roads or a poorly balanced wheel. The speed involved was about 75-80 mph ( overtaking manoeuvre 😉). I noticed it several times and will be making the return trip sometime over the next few days, during which time I'll try and work it out.
To be fair it's only minor - I have had a poorly balanced wheel shake the gearbox seal apart in the past. Boy, how I wish I'd addressed that instead of leaving it and seeing what would happen - I was young 🤡.

Minor vibration you say?

Didn't accidentally drive off in an X Power did you?
Famous for it!🤣

Last edited:
On your next long trip , take off the front wheel trims and see if that makes a difference. The wheel and tyre might be perfectly ok, but the trim slightly out of balance. If its better try rotating the trims with the back ones!
Could try reversing at speed for 50 miles or so, see if that cures it - could be onto something 🤔

This might be a dumb suggestion, but is it possible the vibration is from the LKA? Maybe try turning the LKA off and see if you get the same result.
I have all 'assists' switched off as standard. Guess it could still be monitoring though and getting passively nervous.
"Oh my, speeding AND drifting out of lane!! 😱"
I'll keep an eye out for that on the return trip 👍

I have all 'assists' switched off as standard. Guess it could still be monitoring though and getting passively nervous.
"Oh my, speeding AND drifting out of lane!! 😱"
I'll keep an eye out for that on the return trip 👍
Good to know.

Also I think overspeed can give you a small vibration (I could be wrong though). You can check by turning the traffic sign recognition off.

Yup, that's off as well 😂
I accidentally left it on once, just after getting the car earlier this month and still getting used to it. Came through some major roadworks in the A30 @ 40mph as per temporary speed limits, recognised by the car and after I came out of the roadworks the car continued to inform me the speed limit was 40mph FOR THE NEXT 20 MILES!!! oh how we laughed. Definitely gets switched off every trip now. 🤷
....and the sleep warning 'assist' - can't imagine how badly that could go wrong - "well officer I was distracted by an ongoing argument with the vehicle about whether I was asleep or not" 😭😂😂

HI. I've been in same situation. Vibration on steering wheel above 90-ish km/h or so. Dealer replaced tyres. After was better but still vibration. Referred to the dealer again. Thay performed front wheel adjustment. Now its much better. But sometimes i still feel slight vibration. I have no idea why it happend not all the time but sometime. Any suggestions?

HI. I've been in same situation. Vibration on steering wheel above 90-ish km/h or so. Dealer replaced tyres. After was better but still vibration. Referred to the dealer again. Thay performed front wheel adjustment. Now its much better. But sometimes i still feel slight vibration. I have no idea why it happend not all the time but sometime. Any suggestions?
Have you tried swapping ( or removing ) wheel trims as per OriginalBigAl's post (#7 above) ? That's my next move.

Got to be honest, after my 250 mile return trip yesterday i'm surprised I'd noticed any 'minor vibration ' given the disgraceful state of the UK roads.
Wolverhampton council are definitely saving on the budget by utilising potholes as traffic calming measures. Why pay for expensive systems when the roads will eventually provide the same effect through lack of maintenance.
Driving through the Black Country to Merry Hill for Tesla chargers was a guessing game as to whether I was on a road or had inadvertantly gone off-roading.
On the M5 I had a large artic pull out in front of me from an otherwise empty inside lane. Somewhat bemused I realised why when I pulled into it having passed him. Potholes, deep and plentiful. Might explain some folks staying in the middle lane for no obvious reason.
Given the state of the roads in the UK I forecast WE'RE DOOMED!! ain't gonna be no coming back from this.

Minor vibration? - ptah!
😂

Schools, hospitals, total lack of investment in infrastructure and what are we being promised?
Tax cuts - righty-ho! 😎👍
( apologies for any political bent )

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video