MK2 ZS EV - Swapping rear indicators and wing mirror bulbs for leds?

farrells

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi,

Im looking to swap out remaining original filament bulbs in the car. Just wondering if anybody has swapped out the rear original filament bulb indicators for leds? I bought some on ebay marked as canbus but they are not working, get hyperflash and warning on dash that bulb is faulty. If anybody has working leds in their car can you share where you got them? Also, the same for the wing mirror bulbs, has anyone swapped them and if so, how did you get the original bulbs out of the wing mirror?

Hi,

Im looking to swap out remaining original filament bulbs in the car. Just wondering if anybody has swapped out the rear original filament bulb indicators for leds? I bought some on ebay marked as canbus but they are not working, get hyperflash and warning on dash that bulb is faulty. If anybody has working leds in their car can you share where you got them? Also, the same for the wing mirror bulbs, has anyone swapped them and if so, how did you get the original bulbs out of the wing mirror?
I thought the rear tail lamps on the ZS EV Gen 2 was LED's anyway ( Filament bulbs on the Gen 1 model of course ) just indicator lamps are still filament lamps on the Gen 2 then ?.
Here is an interesting point of view on updating from filaments to LED's.
Worth a quick watch.
LED's are very often polarity sensitive, if they do not work when installed, then remove them and turn then around 180 and try that.

I thought the rear tail lamps on the ZS EV Gen 2 was LED's anyway ( Filament bulbs on the Gen 1 model of course ) just indicator lamps are still filament lamps on the Gen 2 then ?.
Worth a quick watch.
LED's are very often polarity sensitive, if they do not work when installed, then remove them and turn then around 180 and try that.

Hi,

The rear & side indicator and reversing lights on he Gen2 Facelift are still filament bulbs, the rest are all led.
I tried the leds I got again and reversed them and put them both in and reversed one and then the other but still no joy, keep getting the hyperflash.

As the leds bulb is pulling less power than the filament the car things the bulb is blown and gives the warning on the dash (despite all the bulbs for that side hyperflashing).

You can get a kit that puts a resister in between the bulb and the wiring so the car things its a normal filament but there is not enough room to fit one of these in the housing, I'll keep looking for another bulb that will work with the rear indicator lights.

The reversing leds I got work fine, they are nice and really bright as well so they may not be monitored as they probably are not deemed essential to the operation of the car while its in motion whereas the indicators would be.

If anybody else managed to fit T15 WY16W LED bulbs into their MK2 Facelift then I'd appreciate if you had a link to where you got them.

Im still looking for Rear Indicator LED's that work without Hyper Flash, Philips and Osram do good leds but cant seem to find WY16W in either of these manufacturers. Plenty of unknown aftermarket leds on ebay and the like but I've already tried 2 sets now and didnt work.

Im also still hesitant about trying to get into the wing mirror bulbs. Haven't been brave enough yet to try and swap these without breaking the wing mirror covers. Has anybody on here been able to get into the wing mirror bulbs and know what to do it without damaging them?

Last edited:
Im still looking for Rear Indicator LED's that work without Hyper Flash, Philips and Osram do good leds but cant seem to find WY16W in either of these manufacturers. Plenty of unknown aftermarket leds on ebay and the like but I've already tried 2 sets now and didnt work.

Im also still hesitant about trying to get into the wing mirror bulbs. Haven't been brave enough yet to try and swap these without breaking the wing mirror covers. Has anybody on here been able to get into the wing mirror bulbs and know what to do it without damaging them?
I am also looking to replace the wing mirror bulbs…I’ve done the rear indicators and reverse lights, and just have the side indicators to go on my list, but I’m also dubious about how to access them without damaging the wing mirror itself. I’ll be keeping an eye here for any ideas, and also if I manage anything I can update here :)

Do you know where about in the manual? Would it be in the bulbs section…
Here you go !.

IMG_1592.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg

Worth a quick watch.

I am also looking to replace the wing mirror bulbs…I’ve done the rear indicators and reverse lights, and just have the side indicators to go on my list, but I’m also dubious about how to access them without damaging the wing mirror itself. I’ll be keeping an eye here for any ideas, and also if I manage anything I can update here :)

Re Hyperflash
It seems that this is an Olde Problem, and there are lots of sources of "Ballast" resistors which will solve the Hyperflash/ Wrning etc.
I found LOTS of suppliers. and all those on ebay INCLUDE 2 quick connect joints to make the job a doddle

Last edited:
Hi,

The rear & side indicator and reversing lights on he Gen2 Facelift are still filament bulbs, the rest are all led.
I tried the leds I got again and reversed them and put them both in and reversed one and then the other but still no joy, keep getting the hyperflash.

As the leds bulb is pulling less power than the filament the car things the bulb is blown and gives the warning on the dash (despite all the bulbs for that side hyperflashing).

You can get a kit that puts a resister in between the bulb and the wiring so the car things its a normal filament but there is not enough room to fit one of these in the housing, I'll keep looking for another bulb that will work with the rear indicator lights.

The reversing leds I got work fine, they are nice and really bright as well so they may not be monitored as they probably are not deemed essential to the operation of the car while its in motion whereas the indicators would be.

If anybody else managed to fit T15 WY16W LED bulbs into their MK2 Facelift then I'd appreciate if you had a link to where you got them.

Ive swapped out:-
the reversing bulbs;
the number plate bulbs
the back indicator bulbs
the wingmirror indicator bulbs

YES I am getting "Hyperflash" [and learnt this New Word]

Re Hyperflash
It seems that this is an Olde Problem, and there are lots of sources of "Ballast" resistors which will solve the Hyperflash/ Warning etc.
I found LOTS of suppliers here I found LOTS of suppliers. and all those on ebay INCLUDE 2 quick connect joints to make the job a doddle
:-

THE worst to do were the Wing mirror bulbs - and frankly the light does NOT 'bend' around the curve of the mirror, and so makes little differance. BUT Im loath to dismantle and replace the old filaments given the job I had first time around.

The Diagram in the Manual does not explain the Dismantling process; I resorted to plastic prybars and even a Screw driver in the end.
DEspite my care, the locating pins on the 'Shroud's all broke. Fortunately there was sufficient left to make the shroud "Click" back in place. I HAVE put a small fillet of clear silicon filler between the shroud and the Indicator Window housing for safeties sake.

Attachments

• small fillet of silicon.JPG
    small fillet of silicon.JPG
    378.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Hi,

I took this photo before I finished swapping my Number Plate bulbs - I think it says everything about why it was worth doing - even in Daylight conditions.
Hi,

Re Hyperflash
It seems that this is an Olde Problem, and there are lots of sources of "Ballast" resistors which will solve the Hyperflash/ Wrning etc.
I found LOTS of suppliers - I found LOTS of suppliers. and all those on ebay INCLUDE 2 quick connect joints to make the job a doddle

Attachments

• LED VERSUS FILAMENT BULBS.JPG
    LED VERSUS FILAMENT BULBS.JPG
    285.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom