Modifications allowed on a lease car?

CogZog

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I've seen a few members who have fitted the kick plate stickers and it looks great. I'd like to fit them to our ZS EV but I don't know if it's acceptable on a lease car? Our lease is through Mobility and if we return the car in 3 years in good condition, we get £600 back. Would modifications invalidate this?

Seeing as it's not your car, I would think they may charge you for removing any modifications at the end of the lease. A lease is basically a long term hire.

Yeah, I just wondered what was acceptable considering we were given a leaflet offering MG branded accessories and mods at the time of leasing? Therefore it must be allowed to a certain extent?

They probably offered you them at the start of the lease so that they could add the price onto the payments. :sneaky:
I suppose you could always take the kick plates off before the end of the lease, they're usually only stuck on with double sided tape. ;)

Fit the genuine MG ones, they’ll not bat an eyelid at the end of the lease then.

You are not allowed to modify a motability car (talking from experience) and it would invalidate the insurance.

However I'm still guilty of doing it 🤷🏼‍♂️

They would never even notice, it adds to the aesthetics of the car

I've seen a few members who have fitted the kick plate stickers and it looks great. I'd like to fit them to our ZS EV but I don't know if it's acceptable on a lease car? Our lease is through Mobility and if we return the car in 3 years in good condition, we get £600 back. Would modifications invalidate this?
Hello everyone — This is my first post within this forum — And my first ever MG ZS EV Exclusive — To be delivered this year, hopefully, towards the end of July 2021 — Subject to delivery.

I know the Original Post by CogZog is dated October 17, 2020, however, I just wanted to comment regarding my Own Experience with cars I have leased with Motability, since December 1999.

Over that period, I have had Seven 3-year lease vehicles, with a few extension periods of 1-2 or 3 months, due to new lease car not being available at time of ordering, and having to wait for shipping.
My new MG ZS EV Exclusive will be the Eighth Motability 3-year lease car.

On the point of fitted "kick plate stickers" on the sills of the MG ZS EV, and "if it's acceptable", and would the "modifications invalidate" the "£600.00" "good condition" bonus...

With all my vehicles I have had on the Motability lease scheme — They have all been returned with Dealership Fitted modifications of Door Sill Kick Plates, Dog Guard, Wind Deflectors, Boot Liner and Alloy Sports Pedals — All in excellent condition, bar any Moderate Wear and Tear, with approximately 30,000 miles (the Maximum is 60,000 miles) to meet the Good Condition Bonus.

When this new MG ZS EV gets returned in 3-years, from approx. July 2024, it will go back with all the above modifications — Plus one more...

The rear windows, behind the B Pillar, will be "Professionally Tinted" to Factory Tint — To which has been confirmed with Motability lease, by telephone.

Last edited:
Mine is a Motability car and I'm going to be wrapping the roof potentially and definitely getting tints.

Mine is a Motability car and I'm going to be wrapping the roof potentially and definitely getting tints.
I think you'll find the roof wrap is a modification too far.
But then again, if you're happy to have mods that you shouldn’t, carry on!
It’s only you that will have to pay at the end of the lease, having to remove the roof wrap, if not approved by Motability, and the possibility of losing your Good Condition Bonus of £600.00.
Along with over 630,000 Motability Customers' Advance Payments increasing, because of non-conforming customers having to be taken in to account on the Motability Scheme.

Last edited:
I think you'll find the roof wrap is a modification too far.
But then again, if you're happy to have mods that you shouldn’t, carry on!
It’s only you that will have to pay at the end of the lease, having to remove the roof wrap, if not approved by Motability, and the possibility of losing your Good Condition Bonus of £600.00.
Along with over 630,000 Motability Customers' Advance Payments increasing, because of non-conforming customers having to be taken in to account on the Motability Scheme.
These "mods" wouldn't affect any good condition bonus, neither do minor dents, scrapes or scratches.
Nor does the advance payments have anything to do with "non-conforming customers"
You really shouldn't comment if you don't know what you're talking about.

These "mods" wouldn't affect any good condition bonus, neither do minor dents, scrapes or scratches.
Nor does the advance payments have anything to do with "non-conforming customers"
You really shouldn't comment if you don't know what you're talking about.
Back in 1992 I fought a very serious illness, Guillain-Barré syndrome. After my 3 years of battling, and slowly recovering, but not fully, I was left Disabled.
I then became a Motability customer in 1995.

Currently, the amount of £271.05p a Month is transferred from my Disability Living Allowance (now called Personal Independence Payment) Mobility Component to Motability Operations.

I, personally, do not see the payment of £271.05p to Motability as a forfeit. I am extremely grateful to the Motability Scheme, and the British Tax Payer, which enables me to live and lead an Independent Life, as much as I possibly can.

Over the last 26 years, my partner and I have seen many modifications made by non-conforming customers to cars on the Motability Scheme.

To mention just a few below...

From the Remapping, often called Chipping, with a third party software installed onto the ECU of a Diesel Vauxhall Astra. Without permission.
To the removal of the original alloy wheels on a Ford Focus, sold, and then replaced with the Motability keeper's choice of alloys put on the vehicle. Without permission.
Three years ago, a keeper handing back his Motability car to a Nissan Dealership in Plymouth with the complete removal of the rear seats and sold. Without permission.
Being there at the time, whilst looking at their cars in the showroom, the Police were called and he told them "I removed the rear seats and sold them because it made things easier for my work".
And, a friend in London fitted jet black-out dark film-style privacy glass to the rear after the BMW arrived. Without permission. This incurred him further costs because he was told to remove the jet black-out film when the lease ended. Had he chosen for the Dealership to remove them, they were going to bill him.

The amount of modifications made on Motability vehicles, without permission, the un-reported exterior damaged we have seen, Dealerships as well, and the vehicles that have been poorly treated with regards to interior cleanliness and damage, which is not all addressed before the vehicle goes back, is a lot more than you can imagine.

Motability states the following:

"The Scheme is designed to help customers use their mobility allowance to find affordable vehicles that suit their disability needs."

"If you wish to add accessories or make modifications to your car after you have collected it, you must contact our Customer Services team for authorisation."

"Should such modifications be made without our authorisation you risk invalidating your insurance and you will be asked to remove them and return the car to its original specification at your cost."

"Each Advance Payment is calculated by considering factors such as the Cost of the Car, its Servicing and Maintenance and its Expected Resale Value at the end of the lease agreement."

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom