Most annoying car ever made?

Wow, get to a Chorley group dealer, no upgrade charges.
Anyway what bongs ?.??
That may only be if you got the car from Chorley in the first place, but I'm pretty sure as Miles elluded to on last nights podcast you'd be paying their hourly rate (this was in relation to the optional battery heater update, but would be applciable no doubt to Comfort2) which would be reasonable compared to that £300 quote!

Yep your right, I did get the car from them, but I would change dealer if they wanted £300 to update !

My job involves complex negotiating and managing stakeholders at multiple levels, so I can assure you I don't make aggressive demands or bang my fists on the table. I politely asked the dealer if they would consider installing the upgrade out of courtesy given how recently I bought the car from them. Their response was that it is unfortunately an optional extra for which MG charge £80.
AFAIK MG don't charge them anything for the update, it's the dealer that's charging you for labour.

That's tosh, it's a manufacturer upgrade not an add on accessory

That may only be if you got the car from Chorley in the first place, but I'm pretty sure as Miles elluded to on last nights podcast you'd be paying their hourly rate (this was in relation to the optional battery heater update, but would be applciable no doubt to Comfort2) which would be reasonable compared to that £300 quote!
I watched the Youtube video of that yesterday and I was screaming at the screen for someone to ask Miles why you have to pay someone to sit and watch a progress bar for an hour. No one did :-(

I watched the Youtube video of that yesterday and I was screaming at the screen for someone to ask Miles why you have to pay someone to sit and watch a progress bar for an hour. No one did :-(
Please feel free to join the next call and ask the question, but while the computer is being used no other vehicles can be serviced, however perhaps that’s why the majority do not charge if you’ve purchased your vehicle from them as a main dealer.

Please feel free to join the next call and ask the question, but while the computer is being used no other vehicles can be serviced, however perhaps that’s why the majority do not charge if you’ve purchased your vehicle from them as a main dealer.
Thank you Mark, I do appreciate what you say, but surely the whole workshop does not grind to a halt if one car is getting an update.
If I needed to I don't mind paying the price if the update regardless of how it's done is worth it.
I only ask because I would like to know and I still have doubts at the back of my mind that a technician does nothing else while the updates are done. (If so where do I apply for the job of updates man :) ) Do they only have one computer, is it a laptop, or a devoted EV computer ? I do not know.
It would have been nice to get the answer from the horses mouth as it were.

I’ve been a MG ZS EV owner for all of 2 days, but it feels like a lifetime. I did do my research and read about the crazy alerts and other ‘minor, annoyances, but thought to myself, how bad can it be?

I now know the answer 😭

My introduction to the insanely annoying CLANG-CLANG sound, which I’ve already started hearing in my sleep, was via the lane assistance function. No problem, I thought, I know how to turn that function off. But the twisted evil designers at MG saw that coming, and now I get CLANG-CLANG to remind me that I switched off the primary source of the CLANG-CLANG. How often, you ask? EVERY TIME I SWITCH THE CAR ON FOR THE REST OF MY (probably short-lived) OWNERSHIP.

Another key source of the CLANG-CLANG has something to do with ‘conditional speed limit ahead’ or something similar. This one seems to be based on chaos theory, as it can crop up pretty much anytime e.g. this morning it came on when I was approaching a roundabout in town, and was accompanied by a 70mph speed recommendation, which would’ve made life interesting had I observed it.

Keen to ensure we don’t become too dependent on the CLANG-CLANG, our friends at MG have been kind enough to also furnish us with the beautifully melodic BEEP-BEEP-BEEP. This bad boy kicks in when you leave the car, even if you’ve switched it off and even if your key is in your pocket. It doesn’t BEEP-BEEP-BEEP every time though. I mean, where would be the fun in that? No, it prefers to BEEP-BEEP-BEEP either just as pedestrians are passing the car (ideally ones who look like they’ll happily tear you a new hole just for looking at them, never mind beeping at them), or at 6am / 11pm when the old couple next door (who you used to be friendly with in your pre-MG days) are tucked up nicely in bed.

In addition to the mesmerising sound effects we also have the pleasure of the worst in-car heating system since Fred Flintstone was reliant upon Wilma breaking wind to keep warm on the road. Essentially there are two settings: too cold & too hot. Instead of relaxing during my drive and taking advantage of the in-car entertainment, I spend the entire journey switching between the 2 aforementioned settings.

So yeah, that’s what my life looks like now. The days without CLANG-CLANG, BEEP-BEEP-BEEP and having to choose between a freezer & a furnace already seem light years away.
UPDATE: I've just had the comfort upgrade installed and I'm now CLANG-CLANG and BEEP-BEEP-BEEP free! Man, it feels good. Still miffed at having to fork out another £80 on the car but on the other hand it was either that or be declared clinically insane within a month.

UPDATE: I've just had the comfort upgrade installed and I'm now CLANG-CLANG and BEEP-BEEP-BEEP free! Man, it feels good. Still miffed at having to fork out another £80 on the car but on the other hand it was either that or be declared clinically insane within a month.
Are you happy now??😄👍

Thank you Mark, I do appreciate what you say, but surely the whole workshop does not grind to a halt if one car is getting an update.
If I needed to I don't mind paying the price if the update regardless of how it's done is worth it.
I only ask because I would like to know and I still have doubts at the back of my mind that a technician does nothing else while the updates are done. (If so where do I apply for the job of updates man :) ) Do they only have one computer, is it a laptop, or a devoted EV computer ? I do not know.
It would have been nice to get the answer from the horses mouth as it were.
I think the answer will be something Miles spoke about with the battery heater update that it will be lots of updates to several ECUs and the infotainment system that necessitate the fully booked out time of the engineer, not allowing them enough time between install 1 before that completes and the next install runs, as it doesn't sound like its one .exe that you fire off and sit back and smoke a fat one! (or do other jobs).

Having said that, could be worse, VW are quoting 7 hours to upgrade the software to feature complete on the early ID.3's.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom