Motorway KERS level

Casper82uk

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I’ve read a lot of conflicting statements regarding the best KERS level for motorway driving, some say that have it in KERS 1 and release the accelerator early and take the longer KERS regeneration and other state have it at 3 and take the stronger regeneration, what’s everyone’s thoughts on this ?

I did a trip from a Sheffield to Wigan today Via A57. I started off in KERS 3 and then moved to KERS 2 whilst I was going through the Snake Pass. Back to KERS 3 going through Glossop and then KERS 1 on the M60 before going back to KERS 3 once I had left the motorway.

It worked for me as I got 4.8m/kwh.

I did a trip from a Sheffield to Wigan today Via A57. I started off in KERS 3 and then moved to KERS 2 whilst I was going through the Snake Pass. Back to KERS 3 going through Glossop and then KERS 1 on the M60 before going back to KERS 3 once I had left the motorway.

It worked for me as I got 4.8m/kwh.
Done that trip many times. It's lovely in good weather, but less so when it's not. I've not had a chance to do in the 5 yet, so interesting to have a benchmark. :)

Would say it depends on traffic conditions. In light free flowing traffic KERS 1 as there should be less opportunity to regenerate. In heavier traffic KERS 2 or 3. Also KERS 3 for any long downhill stretches. We have a lot of these in Wales.

I would say that in scenarios where little or no braking is expected (e.g.Motorways) then KERS1 will make little or no difference to "economy" compared with KERS3. If you are starting to use the brakes more due to driving conditions then KERS3 will minimise energy wastage via the brakes (but as everyone says, feather the throttle for smoothest and safest results). I only use KERS3 (cos I like it :) ).

I find that I accidentally slow down too much if I keep it in kers 3 on the motorway. With skillful use of the power pedal kers 3 is fine most of the time. I'm not skillful enough so regularly switch modes depending on the situation.

Done that trip many times. It's lovely in good weather, but less so when it's not. I've not had a chance to do in the 5 yet, so interesting to have a benchmark. :)
It was lovely weather today. I used to do the trip every day when I worked in Salford. I did it for 3 years and I must have spent a fortune in diesel.

It was lovely weather today. I used to do the trip every day when I worked in Salford. I did it for 3 years and I must have spent a fortune in diesel.
I know that feeling - I still remember the shock of working out that I'd spent more on diesel in my old Dacia Logan that I did on buying it.....oddly it worked out over 6 years about the same amount as buying the MG5. So if my electricity bill is less than my old maintenance bill, I'm quids in....I think.

I know that feeling - I still remember the shock of working out that I'd spent more on diesel in my old Dacia Logan that I did on buying it.....oddly it worked out over 6 years about the same amount as buying the MG5. So if my electricity bill is less than my old maintenance bill, I'm quids in....I think.
Well I bought the MG5 based on a financial calculation. If I get rid of all my cars, I can save about £2k per year in fuel, over £500/yr in car tax, and quite a bit in servicing and MOTs. So, over the 7yr warranty period of the car I should be in pocket by well over £15k, which covers the depreciation on the car as it should be worth about £6k in 7yrs time.

Getting rid of my other cars is proving more difficult than I thought, though :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom