Movie files on MG4 infotainment system

remarkable1967

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
May be a bit left field but I've just seen a video on YouTube showing a guy playing a movie file on the MG4 infotainment system. Am I just showing my age or is that normal nowadays.

For Video files you dont need to mess with the box detailed above, just copy the files to a USB stick, and put it in the USB A Slot and select Video Playback from the menu in the car.

Thanks for that. Sounds sensible. What formats will it play videos in. MP4, AVI etc.

It should support MP4, MOV, MKV and FLV but some of them might not work properly depending on the codecs used - I had some videos without any sound so had to transcode them.

My Trophy does not play my .mp4 container files (H264 & H265 + Mp3) converted from an .mov file. It played the original .mov file extracted from my previous car's dash cam - it shows a driver leaving his automatic car to remonstrate with another driver ignoring the fact his car was heading towards a barrier and a main road.

The picture was broken up and misaligned. It displays perfectly on my phone and computer.

Is there a list of acceptable of video files the car can accept?

I've been experimenting and so far this is what I've found from a small sample:

MP4 - x264 video, AAC audio - Video works, audio works
MP4 - x264 video, AAC 5.1 audio - Video works, audio works

MP4 - x265 video, AAC audio - Video doesn't work, audio works
MKV - x264 video, AAC audio -Video works, audio works
MKV - x264 video, AC3 audio, Video works, audio doesn't work
MKV - x264 video, AC3 5.1 audio, Video works, audio doesn't work
AVI - none recognised by car, no thumbnail appears

Maybe with a lower bitrate or something, files with AC3 audio would work, or x265 video would work, but I'm not bothered enough to find/make any to test.

Although I've played movies from a USB stick plugged into the car, I have now added an Android AI box to my SE LR which adds this functionality, as well as other features, such as wireless Autodroid Auto, WiFi hotspot, and access to any Android app. I consider it good value for the price.

Here's a question. I know how to convert CDs to mp3 format so they can be played in the car, but is it possible to convert DVDs to play in the car the same way?

Thanks, I need to try that. I just think watching a favourite DVD in the car would be really cool.

Does this have the same issue as the .mp3 files that you have to rename every track to get the film to play in the right order?

Here's a question. I know how to convert CDs to mp3 format so they can be played in the car, but is it possible to convert DVDs to play in the car the same way?
For the PC, I used the following apps:
MakeMKV and Brake or Hitpaw Video Converter.
It's a long slow process but gets there in the end.

I've been experimenting and so far this is what I've found from a small sample:

MP4 - x264 video, AAC audio - Video works, audio works
MP4 - x264 video, AAC 5.1 audio - Video works, audio works

MP4 - x265 video, AAC audio - Video doesn't work, audio works
MKV - x264 video, AAC audio -Video works, audio works
MKV - x264 video, AC3 audio, Video works, audio doesn't work
MKV - x264 video, AC3 5.1 audio, Video works, audio doesn't work
AVI - none recognised by car, no thumbnail appears

Maybe with a lower bitrate or something, files with AC3 audio would work, or x265 video would work, but I'm not bothered enough to find/make any to test.

Just in case anyone else has files that won't play audio that they want to get working, I took a few MKV x264 video files this morning which wouldn't play audio in the car, due to AC3 audio format, and converted to AAC audio, using a program called AviDemux. The program does it with a couple of clicks, extremely simple. I just opened the video file, left Video Output on Copy, and for Audio Output, selected the first AAC option, then clicked the Save button, and it converted the file, and now the videos are playing in the car with audio.

avidemux_510.jpg

Thanks, I need to try that. I just think watching a favourite DVD in the car would be really cool.

Does this have the same issue as the .mp3 files that you have to rename every track to get the film to play in the right order?
Yes, files will be listed in alphabetical order.
Not really as much of an issue for films or TV shows, as the films are standalone, and the TV shows will probably have filenames like
TVShowName_Season1_Episode1.mkv ,
TVShowName_Season1_Episode2.mkv ,
TVShowName_Season1_Episode3.mkv
etc.

Unfortunately it doesn't show folders on the USB, so for exampe you have to scroll past 50 episodes of Family Guy to get to The Simpsons....

I'm not meaning that, I'm asking whether a film or an episode is split up into individual files according to the way the chapters have been arbirtarily divided on the DVD.

A CD with a long piece of music is divided into tracks quite arbitrarily, to make it easier to find a particular place. Each track is then converted to a separate file when the CD is copied to the computer. One then has to rename the damn files in the right order to get the piece of music back in order.

I'm wondering if it's the same for DVDs, because these are also divided into chapters for ease of searching.

I think it's standard for an index file to be produced on a DVD so there is no need to physically separate the chapters.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 526 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back