MPG

Aussi55

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi,

Looking for a family car to replace a petrol Honda CRV.

I have a ZS EV which I really like, but the rear space is unfortunately not enough for our needs compared to the CRV.

Last week I test drove a Kia e Nero and an HS, the HS really impressed aside from steaming up quite easily.

The main journeys will be to school and back, around 5 miles each way in fairly heavy traffic.

Aside from needing the engine for heating the plan is to maximize EV mode.

Does anyone know what sort of MPG we can expect please?

If you press the EV button does it switch to electric only and cut the heating or does the heating continue using the engine as needed to maintain the set temperature?

Reason for asking is to figure out when to select EV mode, or do you just leave it alone and it will figure it out?

From a search it would appear that the AC side of things is electric so the engine doesn't need to run to cool the car down in summer which is good.

Thanks in advance for any help. I have put down a holding deposit on a new one at my local dealer.

The car you have put is a full electric car no engine so no MPG will not need to fill up with petrol.
On the battery you will get on a full charge over 150 miles and if you go for the new long range over 200 miles.
Most owners charge at home on a 7kw wall charger which you need to have installed or you could go to a local petrol garage that as a fast charger which take around 40 minutes to bring up to 80% then you will need to top up to 100% now and again to condition the battery.

The car I have is a HS PHEV which has a engine which I charge at night at home, in the summe traveling to from work 16 miles it costs me £1.20 to charge and only had to fill up each month around £40. At this time petrol last about 3 week some time 4 and cost around £45 as price has gone up and the charge is still the same put I will finish my fix price soon and would think it will be around £1.50 when it goes up.

If you are willing to invest an extra (approx) £2000 by installing a Webasto fuelheater, you will be able to drive in EV all year without the ICE kicking in.
For more info on that look for Webasto on this forum…
I also installed it shortly and I will give my findings in due time…

Hi,

That's interesting, I actually have a webasto water heater in the CRV I'm replacing, maybe worth getting it taken out before it goes. I assume you are talking about the water heater and not the blown air.

Had another go in the HS today, confirmed my order for a black exclusive, ETA currently may. They had a new white one in stock but my wife wants black.

Thanks again for all your help. Much appreciated.

If you are willing to invest an extra (approx) £2000 by installing a Webasto fuelheater, you will be able to drive in EV all year without the ICE kicking in.
For more info on that look for Webasto on this forum…
I also installed it shortly and I will give my findings in due time…
Hi
I would understand if you live in Norway Denmark Finland or in the artic circle you need it, but for the uk not worth it. You get a lot of petrol for £2000.

With regards to the heating, as soon as you set the HVAC to a cabin temperature that requires heat then the engine will automatically start and you will be in auto/hybrid mode. Once the engine/coolant has warmed up and can provide the necessary heat then you can press the EV button to switch to EV mode, note that heating doesn’t cut out it stays at the same setting. If the engine is not warm enough to provide the heat to your set temperature but you pressed the EV button, a message will pop up on the dash ‘EV mode not supported’ and you will remain in auto mode. So basically it won’t allow you to go EV if the engine can’t provide the necessary heat.

Now that you are in EV and your heating is still going but the engine has cooled down. Once the engine can’t provide the heat that you have requested, it will automatically kick you out of EV and switch to auto/hybrid mode again. So you will have to wait for the engine to heat up again before manually switch back to EV but again same parameters as before as long as the engine can provide the heat for you to drive in EV.

I try to set the cabin temperature lower such as 20/21C so it takes the engine less time to warm up to provide the heat so I can switch to EV quicker. Sometimes I might even drive without heating as long as the windows don’t steam up so I can drive in EV.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom