Mud Flaps finally arrived - Any tips or tricks for fitting?

SteveMP

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Finally my mud flaps have arrived from Ali Express and they do feel like a quality product.
Noticed a wide selection of screws so that covers all bases but wondering for those who have fitted them how did you get on?

Did have a quick look to scout the area and noticed some clips holding the plastic wheel arch on. Are these easily removable with trim remover or a special knack to get them off?!

Many thanks for your guidance :)

One little tip.
Check the screws.
The ones supplied with genuine MG ZS mud flaps, rust very quickly.
I would suggest switching them out for stainless steel screws if so.

Finally my mud flaps have arrived from Ali Express and they do feel like a quality product.
Noticed a wide selection of screws so that covers all bases but wondering for those who have fitted them how did you get on?

Did have a quick look to scout the area and noticed some clips holding the plastic wheel arch on. Are these easily removable with trim remover or a special knack to get them off?!

Many thanks for your guidance :)
I can't help with fitting advice, sorry, but are you able to provide a link to the ones you bought? I can see MG5 / Roewe i5 ones, but they don't specifically say they're for the estate.

My dealer was unable to get any 'official' ones, so I'm looking to order some and fit myself.

Has anyone got before and after pictures, I would like to see what the aesthetics are like.
Also any comments as to what sort of difference they make as I'm not yet convinced they actually achieve anything practical other than enhancing the looks of the car. And I'm quite happy to do that. :)

Has anyone got before and after pictures, I would like to see what the aesthetics are like.
Also any comments as to what sort of difference they make as I'm not yet convinced they actually achieve anything practical other than enhancing the looks of the car. And I'm quite happy to do that. :)
They just stop the mud and crud build up on the metal edges of the arches...

I bought some for AliExpress and I've had a really quick look at how to fit them. I wasn't sure I'd be able to do the rears without the wheels off, but I'll hunt around here for some hints and tips.

Bought mine from same supplier. I fitted myself, only removed and reused two fittings/screws for back set. The front ones both sides need a longer screw in the cup shaped insert as the original ones are way too short. Been fitted about 4 weeks now, very solid and don’t seem to need any more fixings. They fit very tightly to the body shape. I have seen some where people have drilled and used extra screws in the front set.

Attachments

• 0820C06D-AC62-4AC9-A32D-4AE09539F7D1.jpeg
    0820C06D-AC62-4AC9-A32D-4AE09539F7D1.jpeg
    369.6 KB · Views: 240
  • 098272B1-4584-4861-A587-459A1E8B9B3B.jpeg
    098272B1-4584-4861-A587-459A1E8B9B3B.jpeg
    315.5 KB · Views: 232
No. Only need to unscrew lower screw, need to get under rear of car wheel not in the way. The upper screw is unscrewed using the angled key included in the pack, and you can turn it easily without removing the wheel To undo and replace

I got the rears on now, thanks.

I'm guessing the front top is just a cap over a screw? I'm wary about just trying to prise it in case I break something!

And where's the easiest place to buy a couple of new longer screws? The likes of Homebase or Wickes, or Eurocarparts?

EDIT: I did flip the top and realised it a popper thingy. So I suppose Eurocarparts?

Last edited:
The front top is fixed to the bodywork and is a plastic bolt like the ones in the kit but the ones in the kit screw in whereas the one you are taking out simply push fits. I was able to reuse mine but not everyone will be that lucky. Over the last 50 years of driving i have amassed a massive selection of nut and bolts and screw etc so I found two that I thought would work about 30mm long and slid the washer off the original screw and onto my new one. If you don’t drive that fully home it allows some movement to locate the top one , tighten the top one fully and then the bottom one fully. Just as a safety net I also greased all of the screws before replacing them.

Thanks, do you mean you re-used the ones which came out? If so that's what I'll try first as I'm having trouble finding somewhere to buy longer ones.

Hi
My mud flaps are on there way from that distant land of Ali express😂
It’s been nice to have an insight on how to fit them😃👍🏻
For the 30mm screws try ebay
I have picked loads of different size self tapping screws and nuts and bolts up from there for my radio controlled cars
See how I go on when I get mine
😂

Thanks, do you mean you re-used the ones which came out? If so that's what I'll try first as I'm having trouble finding somewhere to buy longer ones.
No original one are too short and won’t bite when you try to refit them with the extra thickness of the mud flap, you will need longer screws about 30 mm long

I've searched eBay and really can't see anything suitable, can I be lazy and ask for a bit of help please? (Not being too sure exactly what I'm after doesn't help!).

Hi smokie
Please see my order below fro Ali Express. Hopefully this is what you need.

Thanks, and apols for the delay in replying. You might want to remove that file as it has personal info in.

Anyway - I have the flaps already, and have fitted the rear - it's just what screws I need for the front ones which I need a bit of help with. I've found all sorts on eBay which might do but I wondered if anyone had a link to ones they'd actually used (or a description).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom