Multiple Instances Of Charging Issues At Instavolt

I have had exactly the same problem. Tried two machines at a Leicester McDonalds then a further two 5 mils way. Every time the machine stopped almost immediately

I have never successfully managed to get Instavolt to work unfortunately, the latest attempt being on Sunday. I came looking for this thread to see if any other MG users had any success with them. Each time I've tried everything looks like it should be working, and there is some communication happening as I can see my battery charge level on the screen. However I can hear the locking mechanism locking and unlocking so it's unable to start.
I called the support once, and they tried doing some remote diagnosis, restarted the machine etc but still couldn't get it to start. I've had no problems with others like BP Pulse, Shell Recharge, PodPoint etc. I had a similar issue with a Gridserve charger once, but normally I find them quite reliable. The difference with Gridserve is that I only got charged £1 per failed attempt as opposed to £15 with Instavolt!

I have never successfully managed to get Instavolt to work unfortunately, the latest attempt being on Sunday. I came looking for this thread to see if any other MG users had any success with them. Each time I've tried everything looks like it should be working, and there is some communication happening as I can see my battery charge level on the screen. However I can hear the locking mechanism locking and unlocking so it's unable to start.
I called the support once, and they tried doing some remote diagnosis, restarted the machine etc but still couldn't get it to start. I've had no problems with others like BP Pulse, Shell Recharge, PodPoint etc. I had a similar issue with a Gridserve charger once, but normally I find them quite reliable. The difference with Gridserve is that I only got charged £1 per failed attempt as opposed to £15 with Instavolt!
InstaVolt have just joined Osprey by putting their tariff up to 75p per kWh. Bought the car to save on fuel which is not happening. Only been happy with Gridserve at their big charging points ie Norfolk. Podpoint have been so touch and go we give up. The chargers at Elk Mill Chadderton have been removed, and those at Lidl are occupied all the time by taxi drivers. It’s like watch this space.

Last edited by a moderator:
I successfully used Instavolt MG5 Excite LR on 14th Oct at Milton Keynes Coachway on my way to Welshpool. I used my Electroverse card as I had £10 credit available.👴

Whilst in Cumbria earlier this year I used Instavolt chargers at Booths in Ulverston on 3 different occasions and it worked every time without any problems. I have also used them at other Instavolt chargers without problems. I believe it helps if you hold the connector firmly in during handshake. Is this an individual car problem? I think unlikely but I'm no expert.

Instavolt were always the go to chargers, forever reliable and just worked. Several variables as to what could be the problem.
The reports of them not working seem to be fairly recent. Has there been a change in their software that has caused this ?
Whilst I think most seem to have no problems at all, is it newer cars that are having the problems, or is it the newer owners ?

I have an MG5 LR and have used Instavolt about 6 times at various locations and fortunately haven't experienced any problems. On one occasion an ID3 was leaving as I got there and he told me he couldn't get it to work so I tried anyway And it worked straight away.
Is it an individual car issue?
I had this issue at Reading services westbound last week, two gridserve piles, both of which tried to start, then said my car sent "an unexpected message" or some such. Went along to the next services, exactly the same machine, started fine. Only charged at 30kw which was annoying as by then I needed more to get to where I was going (it was dark, wet and I was late so couldn't dawdle along to save electrons). Guy behind me with a Tesla at reading started a charge just fine, so yes I think it's possibly down to individual implementation of CCS.
Incidentally after a firmware update my home charger no longer recognises the MG5 is full, it just suspends the charge then attempts to restart it every 5 minutes. Similar issue I suspect...

The charger that failed to charge my car is now listed as faulty on the Instavolt app.
Yesterday, although I didn't need to, I tried a local Instavolt charger just to satisfy my mind. It was faultless. I feel happier now that it's not a car problem.

The charger that failed to charge my car is now listed as faulty on the Instavolt app.
Yesterday, although I didn't need to, I tried a local Instavolt charger just to satisfy my mind. It was faultless. I feel happier now that it's not a car problem.
That is reassuring.👍

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom