Musings

Happy Zappy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I thought I would pen a few lines after a year living with the MG ZS EV.

Although I’ve had a few new company cars when I was working, this has been the first new car I’ve bought personally. Having now retired, most of our journeys are local, so an EV seemed to make sense. My previous long term car was a Porsche Boxster, which I had to sell because of problems getting in & out of it due to old age and while looking for my next long term car had a Citroen DS3 for a few months.

In the last 12 months I have driven 4070 miles, like everyone this is much reduced due to the effects of lockdown. So, what have I found.

I got used to logging all my fuel usage to make expenses claims, so have continued this in retirement. My Porsche was costing me 19p / mile in fuel, the Citroen 11p / mile. The MG has cost me just 3.8p / mile. So over 4000 miles I have saved some £600 compared to the Porsche. I've averaged 3.52 miles per Kwh, which I'm reasonably happy with, however, I've never got anywhere near the 4 miles per Kwh some claim, even in Eco mode.

Due to the relatively low mileage I do and the lack of timed charging on the MG, I have not moved to a dedicated EV tariff for my power, but stuck with EDF. I did look around but couldn't improve on the total package for both electricity & gas for the whole year.

I didn't appreciate the bong-a-thon going on inside the car to start with, so had the Comfort 2 Upgrade done in August. Despite returning to my selling dealer, they still charged for doing this, although they did reduce the bill by 50% to "just" £52.80. However, I have to say this totally changed the driving experience and was glad I had it done. Since having it done I've had more opportunities to try MG Pilot and must say I think it works well. The only down side is I find it "hunts" a bit trying to hold the lanes on a motorway. I've never had a car with Adaptive Cruise Control before and enjoy the benefits. I do think it maintains too much distance sometimes to the car in front and always switch it to the nearest option. Of course the lack of Regen in ACC is a bit of a let down.

The few options I've added have all been courtesy of Ali Express (except for the NextBase dash cam). All the sills have had scuff plates added and the interior, boot & reversing lights have been upgraded to LED. I've just received some LED headlights which will be fitted soon. I am aware of the potential MOT issues and will address them in 2 years time.

What do I wish it had? I don't think I appreciated how useful climate control was until I was without it. It's very complicated twiddling with temp, fan, air outlet while trying to see the effects on the screen in just a couple of seconds!!! I also wish it had rear passenger lights and an auto dimming rear view mirror. Also more info on State of Charge of the battery would be useful (could the Battery button not be re-purposed, MG?)

The car has just had it's first annual service for which I was charged £117.60. At the same time they did updates SA015/016/017. Not totally sure what they are, but I think they mentioned about the door wiring harness and battery management. I do know that now it will charge on AC without being locked (could have done with that when I plugged in at Tesco, walked off & forgot to lock the car!!!)

I know there have been comments from others about the suspension, which I find to be fine for the type of vehicle. Also about the auto headlights, which again I find to work perfectly, I have never knowingly noticed us dazzling oncoming cars.

Overall, a great car and excellent value for money. It's incredibly easy to drive and all passengers love the panoramic glass roof. I know we would all want a bigger battery / longer range / on-line app, but would I buy it again? Yes.

David

Although I’ve had a few new company cars when I was working, this has been the first new car I’ve bought personally. Having now retired, most of our journeys are local, so an EV seemed to make sense. My previous long term car was a Porsche Boxster, which I had to sell because of problems getting in & out of it due to old age and while looking for my next long term car had a Citroen DS3 for a few months.

In the last 12 months I have driven 4070 miles, like everyone this is much reduced due to the effects of lockdown. So, what have I found.

I got used to logging all my fuel usage to make expenses claims, so have continued this in retirement. My Porsche was costing me 19p / mile in fuel, the Citroen 11p / mile. The MG has cost me just 3.8p / mile. So over 4000 miles I have saved some £600 compared to the Porsche. I've averaged 3.52 miles per Kwh, which I'm reasonably happy with, however, I've never got anywhere near the 4 miles per Kwh some claim, even in Eco mode.

Due to the relatively low mileage I do and the lack of timed charging on the MG, I have not moved to a dedicated EV tariff for my power, but stuck with EDF. I did look around but couldn't improve on the total package for both electricity & gas for the whole year.

I didn't appreciate the bong-a-thon going on inside the car to start with, so had the Comfort 2 Upgrade done in August. Despite returning to my selling dealer, they still charged for doing this, although they did reduce the bill by 50% to "just" £52.80. However, I have to say this totally changed the driving experience and was glad I had it done. Since having it done I've had more opportunities to try MG Pilot and must say I think it works well. The only down side is I find it "hunts" a bit trying to hold the lanes on a motorway. I've never had a car with Adaptive Cruise Control before and enjoy the benefits. I do think it maintains too much distance sometimes to the car in front and always switch it to the nearest option. Of course the lack of Regen in ACC is a bit of a let down.

The few options I've added have all been courtesy of Ali Express (except for the NextBase dash cam). All the sills have had scuff plates added and the interior, boot & reversing lights have been upgraded to LED. I've just received some LED headlights which will be fitted soon. I am aware of the potential MOT issues and will address them in 2 years time.

What do I wish it had? I don't think I appreciated how useful climate control was until I was without it. It's very complicated twiddling with temp, fan, air outlet while trying to see the effects on the screen in just a couple of seconds!!! I also wish it had rear passenger lights and an auto dimming rear view mirror. Also more info on State of Charge of the battery would be useful (could the Battery button not be re-purposed, MG?)

The car has just had it's first annual service for which I was charged £117.60. At the same time they did updates SA015/016/017. Not totally sure what they are, but I think they mentioned about the door wiring harness and battery management. I do know that now it will charge on AC without being locked (could have done with that when I plugged in at Tesco, walked off & forgot to lock the car!!!)

I know there have been comments from others about the suspension, which I find to be fine for the type of vehicle. Also about the auto headlights, which again I find to work perfectly, I have never knowingly noticed us dazzling oncoming cars.

Overall, a great car and excellent value for money. It's incredibly easy to drive and all passengers love the panoramic glass roof. I know we would all want a bigger battery / longer range / on-line app, but would I buy it again? Yes.

David
A very honest and balanced review I think and I fully agree with your summary.

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

I agree with you regarding the ACC.

What perplexes me about it is the fact you can reduce it to it's closest following distance, but as soon as the radar picks the car up in front it doesn't actually reduce down the last distance setting on the display where the line is set. The car in front is still the maximum line away on the display and if you get closer it becomes amber and slows you down. Doesn't make sense 🤷🏼‍♂️

The lane centering is pretty poor compared to other systems I've used, as is the lane departure prevention. Traffic Jam Assist is hit and miss too.

David
really enjoyed the review happy zappy its great when things fall into place its not a perfect world but at time we can get close to it is the the glass half full or is it half empty..👍👍

Excellent review, agree with all you say except that I’m not the greatest fan of climate control, preferring manual aircon - but that’s just me.

cheers

NIce review, thanks. I find the ACC, even at its furthest setting, is still too close for me but I guess the system calculates the distance it can stop in if it needs to. I like the lane keep/steering function but for me it seems to stay really close to the left hand side, to the point where I have to intervene! 😲

David
Really good honest review. I agree regarding the (redundant) battery toggle being used for % display. Any chance MG?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom