My Android Auto problem solved ?

My Huawei P30 Pro, generally worked well, with occasional failures. My new Pixel 7 pro is absolutely perfect at the moment

Still cant get mine to work, worked ok on my Tivoli after 3 years of trying. 🤯🤯😭😭
You should know that some phones actually don't support Android Auto and others aren't fully supported by various MG models. My Honor 10 Lite although on Android 10 according to the documentation doesn't support AA and after two years I found this out so I bought a Samsung 52 18 months ago only to find out that my MG ZS Gen 1 is not compatible and there is a MG software driver incompatibility. The phone connects for Bluetooth but doesn't support synchronising phonebook or call history although calls can be received. Same phone in MG5 connects AA but only patially supports Bluetooth phone data.I have solve the problem with a AAWireless dongle which is recognised by the car and my phone and i now have Wireless Android Auto.

It was reading stories like this that made me change to iPhone- my HUAWEI phone was 4 years old and so slow that I could make a cup of tea while waiting for an email to open. Works flawlessly with Car Play and is only costing me £16 a month with Sky 2GB data and all calls included. It’s the iPhone SE which is the budget version but is still a great phone. The other bonus is that all my music appeared automatically which I had bought on iTunes years ago and lost access to. Apologies to go off post, it’s just if you were imagining an apple phone is too expensive it might be cheaper than you think…
Pretty much the same. I had OK Android Auto on my Oneplus, but after an update it stopped working completely. And it’s not just an MG thing. My MX5 is really bad for almost all Android phones (my wife’s Samsung works on the MG but not the Mazda), but iPhone was so simple I didn’t even have to connect a USB charger.

I had big problems with getting Android Auto to work reliably. Or even at all. I cracked it when I found another phone that would connect instantly every time, isolating the issue to be my phone. Eventually, I made the change in this video. Got back from a 450 mile road trip with AA working flawlessly, using maps and a podcast app:

The connection on my ZS was hit and miss, changed the cable and it worked for a bit then didin't. I then upgraded my phone to one with Android 11, which has AA built in and it connects every time now and doesn't drop out.

My theory is that it is caused by wear somewhere, rather than a technical issue - either the phone socket or the cable is worn and the connection doesn't retry, it just drops in the event of a split second disconnect. In my case i think it is the phone but others have renewed the cable with good effect

My theory is that it is caused by wear somewhere, rather than a technical issue - either the phone socket or the cable is worn and the connection doesn't retry, it just drops in the event of a split second disconnect. In my case i think it is the phone but others have renewed the cable with good effect
You could be right there, my new phone obviously has a newer socket and it's also a USB-C compared to the old one which was Micro-B.

Last edited:
I had big problems with getting Android Auto to work reliably. Or even at all. I cracked it when I found another phone that would connect instantly every time, isolating the issue to be my phone. Eventually, I made the change in this video. Got back from a 450 mile road trip with AA working flawlessly, using maps and a podcast app:

Not sure. It was definitely a software update to Android 12 that killed AA on my machine.

We have the same issue with a Huawei P30 Lite (EMUI 12 - Android 10). Used to work fine in our previous Leaf but not it's getting Error 11 or 18. I tried to change the settings on the phone but no joy. Also tried a different cable, made no difference. It's working fine on a OnePlus Nord (Android 12).
I wonder if there's any compatibility issues between MG and older Huawei? And you would thing that Chinese tech would work with each other :D

Tried various android phones. Samsung S7 and A52 worked faultlessly but Huawei P30 Pro rarely if ever connected even after trying half a dozen different so called quality cables (cables that worked with other phones mentioned).

Ended up switching to an Apple Iphone 13. Connects every time although it occasionally mutes the DAB.

We have the same issue with a Huawei P30 Lite (EMUI 12 - Android 10). Used to work fine in our previous Leaf but not it's getting Error 11 or 18. I tried to change the settings on the phone but no joy. Also tried a different cable, made no difference. It's working fine on a OnePlus Nord (Android 12).
I wonder if there's any compatibility issues between MG and older Huawei? And you would thing that Chinese tech would work with each other :D
I assume that the Huawei update was after the US ruling against Huawei using Google's bits ie Google Play etc in their integration, was it? Whereas OnePlus can still use Google Android code on their phones.

I've struggled with Android Auto on MG but to be fair it has been widely reported on the support forum. For years there was an issue with AA shutting off when the phone reaches full or near full since the phone simply switches off the USB on the phone to prevent overcharging whereas iPhone just switches off the charging circuit. Many Android phones have found workarounds but really this is a hardware issue. I've addressed this without going over to the darkside (AKA iPhone) by installing a simple Android Auto Wireless dongle (AAWireless) as I don't want the phone I choose to use to be dictated to me by the car I choose to drive.

Regards to Android 12 issue this has been fixed by the Android Auto team apparently (see below) but I think you will need to scroll for it.

Android auto stop working post the latest AA update
- The Android Auto team has addressed a fix for this issue. Please refer to this announcement for more information. (8/26/2022)

The P30 was the last Huawei phone released before the US legislation was introduced so had AA, Google Maps etc integrated into the phone.

My P30 Pro was always very temperamental and would very rarely connect to the MG5.

I assume that the Huawei update was after the US ruling against Huawei using Google's bits ie Google Play etc in their integration, was it? Whereas OnePlus can still use Google Android code on their phones.

I've struggled with Android Auto on MG but to be fair it has been widely reported on the support forum. For years there was an issue with AA shutting off when the phone reaches full or near full since the phone simply switches off the USB on the phone to prevent overcharging whereas iPhone just switches off the charging circuit. Many Android phones have found workarounds but really this is a hardware issue. I've addressed this without going over to the darkside (AKA iPhone) by installing a simple Android Auto Wireless dongle (AAWireless) as I don't want the phone I choose to use to be dictated to me by the car I choose to drive.

Regards to Android 12 issue this has been fixed by the Android Auto team apparently (see below) but I think you will need to scroll for it.

Android auto stop working post the latest AA update
- The Android Auto team has addressed a fix for this issue. Please refer to this announcement for more information. (8/26/2022)
AA on the Huawei worked fine with the Leaf so it's an MG thing apparently. AA wireless dongle is not cheap but yeah cheaper than a new phone, and would be cable free for the phone, so I might think about it . Do you use this one AAWireless – Wireless Android Auto™ for everyone ?
Thanks

AA on the Huawei worked fine with the Leaf so it's an MG thing apparently. AA wireless dongle is not cheap but yeah cheaper than a new phone, and would be cable free for the phone, so I might think about it . Do you use this one AAWireless – Wireless Android Auto™ for everyone ?
Thanks
Yes and no. My wife has an older Samsung Galaxy A& phone and the MG ZS (Gen1) connects to that phone via Bluetooth whereas the MG ZS (Gen1) will not to my later A52 so she uses that since when she drives solo it's only ever local and doesn't us AA for that. Whereas I need AA when I'm in the car as the Gen1 car doesn't have the MG "Bluetooth software drivers" that support hands-free phone functions for the A52 (it's a very long story) so I have my phone as the default AA to enable hands-free etc.

Hi everyone, this is what my 11-year old daughter did:
Step 1 lock the phone
Step 2 plug the USB cable into the phone and car
Step 3 unplug the USB cable from the car and wait 5 seconds
Step 4 plug the USB cable into the car
Step 5 unlock your phone.
It's should now show that it is charging and will quickly flash up with the Android auto icon and viola the phone is connected
PS: This works on Motorola phones PPS you might need to try different variations but the main thing is to keep the phone locked and unlock it last. Good luck!

I can't believe I am saying this but I've had connectivity problems with my S22 ultra and Android Auto since I've had the vehicle, the thing that fixed it? Using the USB A to C cable that came with the phone. Now I've never used that cable, it just stays in the box as I have a loads of cables that I've bought from Amazon over the years and have never had an issue with charging/data transfer etc. But in total desperation, I dug out the cable and it has been stable ever since.

BUT and its a big but, if I connect my phone to the car before pressing the start button and then try starting, I get a load of dashboard errors, saying that the auto collision system won't work, and lots of others. I get this every time. It's like the main car battery is not activated. The workaround is to press my start button first and when the car shows ready, connect my phone and I'm all good.

I'm in a good place now and everything is working as it should.
So to summarise, use a genuine Samsung cable, and connect your phone after your start your car.
I hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom