My Android Auto problem solved ?

So to summarise, use a genuine Samsung cable, and connect your phone after your start your car.
I hope this helps someone.

For me, with a Samsung Galaxy S10+ (yes now considered "old") precisely the opposite is the case! i.e., connect the phone first (though not using the inbox cable) and then start the car! The cable I use is this one. Very rarely does it cause a problem, i.e. AA dropout or failure.

I can't believe I am saying this but I've had connectivity problems with my S22 ultra and Android Auto since I've had the vehicle, the thing that fixed it? Using the USB A to C cable that came with the phone. Now I've never used that cable, it just stays in the box as I have a loads of cables that I've bought from Amazon over the years and have never had an issue with charging/data transfer etc. But in total desperation, I dug out the cable and it has been stable ever since.

BUT and its a big but, if I connect my phone to the car before pressing the start button and then try starting, I get a load of dashboard errors, saying that the auto collision system won't work, and lots of others. I get this every time. It's like the main car battery is not activated. The workaround is to press my start button first and when the car shows ready, connect my phone and I'm all good.

I'm in a good place now and everything is working as it should.
So to summarise, use a genuine Samsung cable, and connect your phone after your start your car.
I hope this helps someone.
Unfortunatly everyone seems to have a different fix for Android Auto. I tried believe me just about all of them (including using the Samsung cable which came in the box) with my Samsung A72 and A52 phones and yet my wife's Samsung Galaxy A7 92018) phone connects without issue every time!. i even spent over 90 minutes on the phone with Samsung Tech Support and they remotely connected to my A52 and did a full analysis of the phone and software build and could find no reason other than MG's Software Driver on the ZS wasn't compatible with the phone. I can believe that because the Bluetooth connection on my Gen 1 ZS only "fully" connects Audio but the phone's contacts and call history will not synchronise. But once connected I can receive incoming calls and I can make calls from the handset or the screen keypad on the Infotainment system. However, if I have an MG courtesy loan car or test drive another MG mode or version I get either contacts synchronised but not call history or call history but not contacts. I never have this issue when I drive KIA or Teslar or Renault cars.

But with regards to Android Auto, my FIX is a Workaround. I bought an AAWirless Android Auto puck and my phone faultlessly connects as I get in the car to Android Auto and I make and receive calls via Android Auto rather than the MG Infotainment System.

Oh one final word on Android Auto. If you connect with a cable, and the phone approaches or reaches 100% battery charge, the default of the Android system is to switch off the phone's USB port and you can then lose your connection. Sod's law states this will be at a critical point in your journey that your Google Maps or WAZE will disappear. This is widely reported on Google's Android Auto Forum and although Google doesn't seem to want to fix it some phones now override this by slowing the charge as 100% is reached. Carplay users don't have this problem because iPhones from day 1 could switch off the charging circuit without disabling the Data connection. I very nearly switch to iPhone over this issue.

Unfortunatly everyone seems to have a different fix for Android Auto. I tried believe me just about all of them (including using the Samsung cable which came in the box) with my Samsung A72 and A52 phones and yet my wife's Samsung Galaxy A7 92018) phone connects without issue every time!. i even spent over 90 minutes on the phone with Samsung Tech Support and they remotely connected to my A52 and did a full analysis of the phone and software build and could find no reason other than MG's Software Driver on the ZS wasn't compatible with the phone. I can believe that because the Bluetooth connection on my Gen 1 ZS only "fully" connects Audio but the phone's contacts and call history will not synchronise. But once connected I can receive incoming calls and I can make calls from the handset or the screen keypad on the Infotainment system. However, if I have an MG courtesy loan car or test drive another MG mode or version I get either contacts synchronised but not call history or call history but not contacts. I never have this issue when I drive KIA or Teslar or Renault cars.

But with regards to Android Auto, my FIX is a Workaround. I bought an AAWirless Android Auto puck and my phone faultlessly connects as I get in the car to Android Auto and I make and receive calls via Android Auto rather than the MG Infotainment System.

Oh one final word on Android Auto. If you connect with a cable, and the phone approaches or reaches 100% battery charge, the default of the Android system is to switch off the phone's USB port and you can then lose your connection. Sod's law states this will be at a critical point in your journey that your Google Maps or WAZE will disappear. This is widely reported on Google's Android Auto Forum and although Google doesn't seem to want to fix it some phones now override this by slowing the charge as 100% is reached. Carplay users don't have this problem because iPhones from day 1 could switch off the charging circuit without disabling the Data connection. I very nearly switch to iPhone over this issue.
This last comment is sparking my attention. When I drive my daily commute my phone is never at 100% and it work flawlessly. But when I get into long drives I always struggle into the drive with the connection issue. I will see if there is a pattern here on the level of charge of my phone. I am using a Samsung S10.

Just my two penn'orth on this:

I have a Samsung Galaxy S10+ and have not seen the problem of the 100% battery causing disconnection!

Like @jpvdheijn I've done a number of long journeys, with the phone plugged in (and charging), journeys sufficiently long that the phone is at 100% when I arrive and AA continues to function "normally". My principal use of AA is with Google Maps, so not sure whether any other AA app would "cause/lead to" the dropouts reported here.

Guys, please help. I'm at my wits end. I had a Samsung A12 and it worked perfectly with AA on my 2022 MG ZS EV. An incident involving water fried my phone so an earlier upgrade was needed. Got a Samsung A14. It connects instantly (according to the phone screen)to the AA via cable, but when I press the AA symbol it just keeps saying that annoying message about connecting a USB or retry after authorisation. My work A13 works perfectly, and I have tried various cable combinations etc.

Please help. Thanks

Like everyone else I was having issues connecting Android Auto and having it stay connected.

My phone is a Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
Connecting using the supplied USB-C cable was hit and miss but once connected all seemed well. For about 20 mins then the connection dropped. Unplugging at the car port and reconnecting was usually enough to re-establish the connection.

The only other cable I had was a decent braided cable of 2 metres, which was far worse.

I had a read around and found advice to get a short, properly certified cable with a certified high data rate. A quick search threw up some cables rated to 40Gbps (expensive) and several certified at 480Mbps (which, believe it or not, is considered slow - something of an issue for someone who would have once sold his grandmother to get his hands on a 56kbps dialup modem)

Eventually I settled on an Anker cable certified for up to 5Gbps and just £7.99 delivered.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01GN0M6NE

The cable is a little chunkier than any of the others I have and I would hope the electronics in the USB-C end are decent. (check out the USM-C spec and you'll see that these cables aren't just a bit of wire with fancy plugs. There's a teensy bit of intelligence in that sweet little shell [as well as two, symmetrically mirrored rows of 12 connectors each])

I've just tried it but only briefly. Give the infotainment a chance to finish booting and plug it in. So far, connection just seems to happen and a quick navigation across town went without incident.

I'll find an excuse to try it on a longer run as soon as I can and report back.

I had a similar problem. The penny dropped when a friend's phone connected reliably and instantly every time, it was a phone problem

Same as me.

I think you will see disconnection for a minute or two when you drive out of a black spot for data. I suffer from that, sometimes the active route is lost too.

There is a quick test which was either to turn off the WiFi and turn it back on, but more likely turn off your mobile data and turn it back on.

It's a bug in the MIUI which isn't yet fixed. The MUIU is the same in many Xiaomi phones.

I'd be interested to hear if you don't get it though!!

Like everyone else I was having issues connecting Android Auto and having it stay connected.

Connecting using the supplied USB-C cable was hit and miss but once connected all seemed well. For about 20 mins then the connection dropped. Unplugging at the car port and reconnecting was usually enough to re-establish the connection.

The only other cable I had was a decent braided cable of 2 metres, which was far worse.

I had a read around and found advice to get a short, properly certified cable with a certified high data rate. A quick search threw up some cables rated to 40Gbps (expensive) and several certified at 480Mbps (which, believe it or not, is considered slow - something of an issue for someone who would have once sold his grandmother to get his hands on a 56kbps dialup modem)

Eventually I settled on an Anker cable certified for up to 5Gbps and just £7.99 delivered.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01GN0M6NE

The cable is a little chunkier than any of the others I have and I would hope the electronics in the USB-C end are decent. (check out the USM-C spec and you'll see that these cables aren't just a bit of wire with fancy plugs. There's a teensy bit of intelligence in that sweet little shell [as well as two, symmetrically mirrored rows of 12 connectors each])

I've just tried it but only briefly. Give the infotainment a chance to finish booting and plug it in. So far, connection just seems to happen and a quick navigation across town went without incident.

I'll find an excuse to try it on a longer run as soon as I can and report back.
Is it working fine with the new cable or was it the MIUI? My pixel 6 works fine but my partner's Poco F3 disconnects after a few minutes using the same cable. Anyone found a fix that works?

Edit - used the search and didn't realise it was the MG5 thread, but I have MG4 so not sure if my case applies to others!

Last edited:
Is it working fine with the new cable or was it the MIUI? My pixel 6 works fine but my partner's Poco F3 disconnects after a few minutes using the same cable. Anyone found a fix that works?

Edit - used the search and didn't realise it was the MG5 thread, but I have MG4 so not sure if my case applies to others!
Mine is an MG5 SR. Phone us still the Poco X3 NFC.
Yes, it appears to be working OK under MIUI (Latest updates applied).
I'll be doing a longer run this weekend. We'll see how it goes.
Fallback is inbuilt sat nav or Navmii (which is free and doesn't need a data connection at all and was my go-to navigation for many years, in the UK. plus India, Norway and Australia)

Mine is an MG5 SR. Phone us still the Poco X3 NFC.
Yes, it appears to be working OK under MIUI (Latest updates applied).
I'll be doing a longer run this weekend. We'll see how it goes.
Fallback is inbuilt sat nav or Navmii (which is free and doesn't need a data connection at all and was my go-to navigation for many years, in the UK. plus India, Norway and Australia)
Thanks. Not heard of navmii before but will give it a try!

In my case it was the cable length. The 2M stock standard cable shipped with my phone gave me all kinds of random disconnects on my Xiaomi Mi11 but was rock solid with a shorter 1M Anker 3.1 cable.

In my case it was the cable length. The 2M stock standard cable shipped with my phone gave me all kinds of random disconnects on my Xiaomi Mi11 but was rock solid with a shorter 1M Anker 3.1 cable.
Thanks that worked for me too....all the cables I had tried were longer, but put a short generic cable in and worked immediately. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom