My car sounds like popcorn for 5 mins after I syop

dando

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Very weird. Anyone else get that? When I am sitting in the car with it all switched off I can hear it coming from where you'd imagine the motor or engine to be.

Very weird. Anyone else get that? When I am sitting in the car with it all switched off I can hear it coming from where you'd imagine the motor or engine to be.
Yeah, I hear a few sounds coming from under the bonnet after I’ve powered off the car, but am still sitting in it. As long as the sounds stay the same, I imagine it’s fine.

After doing a balance charge so the battery was at 100% and showing a range of 245 miles turning the AC on reduced the range of my car by 17 miles. The GOM would have based that reduction in mileage based on the total range, and because I had only just turned the AC on, the AC working flat out for the whole journey, which it obviously wouldn't.

17 miles of range at 3m/kWh or 5.6 kW, charging at home would cost me 54p.
245miles - 17miles = 228 miles
54p divided by 228 = 0.23p per mile

Put another way, having the AC/heating on means I can travel in a warm car that doesn't mist up for about a fifth of a penny per mile.

Guess what? My AC is on all the time 😁

I think the range reduction on the display is fairly nominal, seems to be about 5% of remaining range on my car, and I don't think it changes depending on how high I have the temperature set.

However I agree with you. Absolutely no point in freezing (or baking) to save fractions of a penny. As I understand it, it's only the heater that consumes significant power. The fan and the aircon are much less demanding.

I think the fan and aircon are driven from the 12V battery, whereas the PTC heater is driven from the HV battery. But I might be wrong (except about the PTC heater - I'm right about that). :)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back