My first 1000 EV miles of steep learning...

Stuwit46

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Just got to 1,000 miles. Got the car on Dec 29 and had to trickle charge at home until 13 Jan when we had a Rolec home charger installed. I have realised I didn’t do enough research before placing the order for the 5. Considering some of the pros and cons I thought range would be good for 200 miles however driving like I did with a diesel car quickly stopped and now I consider range and where/when to charge when driving to and from work (my work is in the care sector but not one place) is taking over my life! I’ve got it now and need to be more positive but the winter range driving on eco in lane one at sub 70 mph is a real struggle on longer journeys. I have even limped into a service area on 4% before finding the CCS Charger was out of action so waited 45 mins on a type 2 to get 20 or so miles to get to another CCS charger. Last thing is that it’s never 100% as you wouldn’t use it all as it’s far too stressy. If you’re considering changing seriously consider range anxiety it’s a real thing 🤔😂

You will get used to it .. it is a slight change of thought process... always planning journies around charging stations if on longer trips... best advise i can give is plan to stop with around 30 miles left in range..that way if you stop at a charger which is out of action then you have enough to find another..zap map is essential

Speed has a big impact on range, for any car, ICE or EV. Drive at 70/75/80, and your range will drop by 25/30 per cent compared with 60/65. Appreciate your job puts demands on you to get to places quickly, but if it means consistently breaking the law there's something wrong with how your employer organises your work.

Having said that, I'm sorry about the stress it's putting you through. In four years of EV ownership I've had some stressful moments, usually down to chargers either being broken or unavailable. It's horrible! And if you have an EV sceptical wife sitting next to you, all the more so!

Your range will improve as the weather warms up later in the spring. The car will do 200 miles, probably more, then, with a bit of nursing. And yes, with zapmap as your friend, the stress should diminish.

Last edited:
Speed has a big impact on range, for any car, ICE or EV. Drive at 70/75/80, and your range will drop by 25/30 per cent compared with 60/65. Appreciate your job puts demands on you to get to places quickly, but if it means consistently breaking the law there's something wrong with how your employer organises your work.

Having said that, I'm sorry about the stress it's putting you through. In four years of EV ownership I've had some stressful moments, usually down to chargers either being broken or unavailable. It's horrible! And if you have an EV sceptical wife sitting next to you, all the more so!

Your range will improve as the weather warms up later in the spring. The car will do 200 miles, probably more, then, with a bit of nursing. And yes, with zapmap as your friend, the stress should diminish.
Thank you for your advice, it’s appreciated. I’m my own employer and I didn’t mean I drive at 80 mph the example was sub 70 so driving at 65. Anyway, not making the response negative I know I’ll be in your “shoes” soon as I feel I’m getting there. Also another good thing is having to stop for a bit on a journey, kind of enforced rest. Another positive is that my wife is all for it, so things aren’t as bad as I may have made it seem. 🤔😊 thanks again for your advice, it has helped a lot.

Its what you get when you electric I'm afraid. Motoring now takes a bit of planning, and you will get used to it. Advice on the forum, when I did much the same as you, is just make sure you charge up when you can, not when you need to.

That's the downside, the upside's are zero road tax, cheaper motoring, and best of all you are reducing emissions and helping the planet.

EV may not suit everyone I have to add, certainly at this stage of development...

You'll definitely see the range increase as temperatures rise. I'd also suggest slightly over inflating the tyres if driving lots of motorway/dual carriageway miles.

There's an optimal driving style for maximising range, which doesn't mean you have to add hours to the journey. Just accelerate smoothly and plan a long way ahead so that you maintain your momentum as much as possible rather than accelerating and slowing repeatedly.

Keep the cabin just warm enough to stop it steaming up and use the heated seat to keep warm. If you're really tight for range then find a lorry to sit behind for a while. You can also preheat the car before you set off while it's still charging which can add a few miles to your total.

Its what you get when you electric I'm afraid. Motoring now takes a bit of planning, and you will get used to it. Advice on the forum, when I did much the same as you, is just make sure you charge up when you can, not when you need to.

That's the downside, the upside's are zero road tax, cheaper motoring, and best of all you are reducing emissions and helping the planet.

EV may not suit everyone I have to add, certainly at this stage of development...
Thanks, and although it may appear “moany” it wasn’t, I was sharing my experience. I fully understand the benefits and am looking forward to enjoying them as I adjust my motoring 😊

You'll definitely see the range increase as temperatures rise. I'd also suggest slightly over inflating the tyres if driving lots of motorway/dual carriageway miles.

There's an optimal driving style for maximising range, which doesn't mean you have to add hours to the journey. Just accelerate smoothly and plan a long way ahead so that you maintain your momentum as much as possible rather than accelerating and slowing repeatedly.

Keep the cabin just warm enough to stop it steaming up and use the heated seat to keep warm. If you're really tight for range then find a lorry to sit behind for a while. You can also preheat the car before you set off while it's still charging which can add a few miles to your total.
Oh I didn’t know about the pre heat 🙈

Oh I didn’t know about the pre heat 🙈
It's as simple as starting charging then turning the car on for a few minutes to get warm using mains power. It's a pain if you want to lock the car while it's pre-heating - you have to use the emergency key.

Another trick is to intentionally break down 5 miles into a 400 mil journey and get towed on the back of a towtruck the rest of the way...save lots of money that way
Unfortunately i did that last night but only gained 8 miles and have lost the car for who knows how long 😥

BB0F010D-2D45-461F-B150-9204689F05F0.jpeg
Preheat in progress.... no need to lock here!

wow...new car...how did it break down ? (if you dont mind me asking...)
Driving home at 2am, on M1 HV battery was down to 18% with 34 miles range (8 miles from home) cruise control set to 65 mph then a message came up on the display "limiting speed to conserve battery" then car kept slowing to 62 mph then going back to 65 mph for about a minute, red triangle appeared on right display saying charging error followed shortly by an orange symbol and the message "HV Battery offline" at which point i had to cruise onto the hard shoulder as all drive power was lost.

Driving home at 2am, on M1 HV battery was down to 18% with 34 miles range (8 miles from home) cruise control set to 65 mph then a message came up on the display "limiting speed to conserve battery" then car kept slowing to 62 mph then going back to 65 mph for about a minute, red triangle appeared on right display saying charging error followed shortly by an orange symbol and the message "HV Battery offline" at which point i had to cruise onto the hard shoulder as all drive power was lost.
Wow Scorpion, this I find this worrying, as lots of the motorways around me in the north west are now Smart motorways or are being converted to being Smart, no hard shoulder at all only refuge areas, I think there are at around quarter mile intervals with nowhere else to go,
please let us know the outcome of this, surely this should never happen with 18% and 34 miles left in the battery this is very worrying
Not got my 5 yet but the problems I’m reading about on this forum with batteries and the charging off, I know mainly on the ZS but is it creeping into the 5 as well as more come about I sure hope not.
Please keep us updated
Les

The more I read about the issues you guys are experiencing with the 5, the less I am inclined to get one. How Scorpion gets on with his (or doesn't) could kybosh the whole plan.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom