My first 1000 EV miles of steep learning...

Wow Scorpion, this I find this worrying, as lots of the motorways around me in the north west are now Smart motorways or are being converted to being Smart, no hard shoulder at all only refuge areas, I think there are at around quarter mile intervals with nowhere else to go,
please let us know the outcome of this, surely this should never happen with 18% and 34 miles left in the battery this is very worrying
Not got my 5 yet but the problems I’m reading about on this forum with batteries and the charging off, I know mainly on the ZS but is it creeping into the 5 as well as more come about I sure hope not.
Please keep us updated
Les
Will update you as soon as i know what went wrong, all i got told on Friday is they would need to charge the car for 14 hours then look for other issues

And i traded in a Golf GTD estate with all the bells and whistles. Prefer this
Don't get me wrong i can't wait to get my MG5 back, it's so frustrating being without it, I'm certainly going to change my charging habit from now even though this would have been it's first charge the next morning

The failure at 18% is clearly a fault, possibly triggered by the very low temperatures. I wonder if it's an issue with the software with the battery drain being limited to protect it but the car trying to draw more power than available?

I guess we need to be cautious taking the battery low in cold weather.

The more I read about the issues you guys are experiencing with the 5, the less I am inclined to get one. How Scorpion gets on with his (or doesn't) could kybosh the whole plan.
Touch wood, my MG5 has never put a foot wrong.

I think you'll find, if you look at other forums, you'll get new-car horror stories with most manufactures..

Ive personally read horror stories of new ID3s, Teslas and iPaces that have all turned into glorified paperweights...

Yeh Jocko your right and not just the 5 the problems with the ZS as well with all the post about the BMS thing plus range problems making me think twice not sure they have got anything right there’s work to be done on lots of things at MG motors in my book

Don't get me wrong i can't wait to get my MG5 back, it's so frustrating being without it, I'm certainly going to change my charging habit from now even though this would have been it's first charge the next morning
Hi you say the next morning would have been it first charge can I ask how long have you had the car ? and how many miles as it done ?
thank you for your respond to the other post where I asked you to keep us updated thank you

Hi you say the next morning would have been it first charge can I ask how long have you had the car ? and how many miles as it done ?
thank you for your respond to the other post where I asked you to keep us updated thank you
I picked up the car on Friday 5th Feb and it packed up on early hours of Thursday 11th having covered approx 140 miles

The more I read about the issues you guys are experiencing with the 5, the less I am inclined to get one. How Scorpion gets on with his (or doesn't) could kybosh the whole plan.
I'm just one unfortunate incident from the general look of things so don't be worried about the car, I just hope they are prepared to admit if there was a problem and it's all good after. Having worked with electronics in engineering i was told something by an expert several years ago "if it's going to fail it will do so within 10 minutes or it will last 10 years" this has seemed to be generally true so far so i hope it's just a simple part failure that when replaced will be the end of it.

It is not just that one failure. I am concerned about the charger issues, sat-nav updates, phone connectivity, Inaccuracies in the specs quoted and what is actually there and MGs kerfuffle over the roof rails. None of which fill me with confidence.
I realise that forums tend to show the worst of a car so I am still open to persuasion. I have a spell before I am placing my order so I will continue to follow the forum before the time comes to jump, one way or another.

It is not just that one failure. I am concerned about the charger issues, sat-nav updates, phone connectivity, Inaccuracies in the specs quoted and what is actually there and MGs kerfuffle over the roof rails. None of which fill me with confidence.
I realise that forums tend to show the worst of a car so I am still open to persuasion. I have a spell before I am placing my order so I will continue to follow the forum before the time comes to jump, one way or another.
Jocko, the only issue I personally have is with the roof rail nonsense which hopefully will be sorted out shortly.
I must admit I've not tried updating the sat nav and why this is necessary within a weeks of buying the car puzzles me. In any event i tend to use Waze which is real-time.
There were errors with the initial specification data but the car itself has been fine to date and fully in line with expectations.
it's a workhorse not cutting edge design, neither is it £35k+.

Jocko, the only issue I personally have is with the roof rail nonsense which hopefully will be sorted out shortly.
I must admit I've not tried updating the sat nav and why this is necessary within a weeks of buying the car puzzles me. In any event i tend to use Waze which is real-time.
There were errors with the initial specification data but the car itself has been fine to date and fully in line with expectations.
it's a workhorse not cutting edge design, neither is it £35k+.
It seems to me, though I can't confess to having read every post on this forum, that the vast majority of negative comments about the car are coming from people who don't own them.
Problems with charging? Had none. Problems I've read about seem to be less to do with the car than charger.
Problems with sat nav? It's fine, but who uses an inbuilt Satnav anyway?
Problems with phone connectivity. Had none. Suspect that it's more to do with the age of the phone than the car.
Problems with range. Had none.
Roof rails... Roof rails... Roof rails... Yes it's an unfortunate error, but it's clearly going to be sorted.
So Scorpion broke down. Sure, it's not ideal but, as he said, it looks like an isolated incident.
Cars do break down. Even new ones.
If anyone can find a better family sized EV for less than 25 grand for a top of the range, good luck.
Still, those who are torn and can't make their mind up give more opportunities for those people who can clearly recognise what a great piece of kit for its price-point the MG5 is to buy one.
I've heard there is a waiting list now. Can anyone confirm?

Don't get me wrong; I am not ruling the MG5 out. I realise it is a lot of car for the money. I am just paying particular attention to the forum before I commit to ordering.

Don't get me wrong; I am not ruling the MG5 out. I realise it is a lot of car for the money. I am just paying particular attention to the forum before I commit to ordering.
Sometimes it’s user error or misunderstanding if they are new to the world of EV, easily done.

I have been contacted by MG just before closing with an update. The car is now fully charged and had 2 updates done, the only update they mentioned was a balance charge update, the car has been test driven and shows no faults. The dealer is now waiting for MG UK to reply to an email about the faults reported to see if they need to do any further investigation or work before returning the car. So all being well i should be able to pick it up tomorrow 😊

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom